4.0 out of 5 stars Just like Abs Diet for Men, but almost too similar
Published on June 27, 2007 by Emily E. Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Good basic info but nothing cutting edge
Published on August 21, 2007 by SG

4.0 out of 5 stars Just like Abs Diet for Men, but almost too similar, June 27, 2007
My husband and I went on the Abs Diet last year and did great. I saw this new book and thought maybe I could tailor the Abs Diet for me, as a woman. I thought things would be a little more differentiated, but the changes from the "men's" book are minimal. The recipes and basic concepts are the same. A lot of the book focuses on post-baby weight, which is not my concern (yet). The testimonials are from women and the exercises are photos of women, but other than that, it's not really any different than the men's version. If you're both trying out the diet, you might as well stick to the men's version and save a few bucks. But, if it's just you (and you're a woman), then give this "diet" a shot.

We had great results and felt a lot better eating the recommended foods. Beyond that, you don't even start the exercises 'til you're 3 weeks into the program! Great for those who need to ease into a new diet/program.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book ;-O, June 9, 2007
Little Miss Cutey (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be very interesting and helpful, yet a lot of the information in here isn't necessarily new. There is talk about how you can use foods to try to prevent osteoporosis, what to eat when you are going through menopause, how to cope with joint pain and also includes a stress relieving workout.

David is the Mens Health magazine editior in chief. He's knowledgable and he knows his stuff. You can trust that this information is accurate and very helpful.

The principles behind this book is that good abs begin in the kitchen more than in the gym. You really have to eat right; a variety of foods, healthy fats, good for your carbs, lean proteins and foods that speed up your metabolism. ABS stands for Almonds, Beans and Spinach (and other green vegetables). DIET stands for Dairy (low fat), Instant Oatmeal (or foods that take longer to digest and keep you fuller longer), Eggs (the better kind of protein for muscle) and Turkey (another lean protein).

I like this book because as you read through it, you realise that not only do you need to do cardio, but you need to be so aware of what you cook and eat and being concious of all these foods, helps you make all the right choices (hopefully).

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm sure it works for some people but...., July 4, 2007
P. McKenna (Staten Island, New York United States) - See all my reviews
My friends at work and I were so excited when we saw the article in Women's Health Magazine giving two week menu's and the basics of this "way of life". We bought the book. The three of us religiously followed it for one month. Disappointingly, not one of us lost one inch of "belly fat" or any weight at all. Surprisingly, we all agreed that while it did not live up to the promise of "1 inch of belly fat in 2 weeks" it totally changed our way of eating. All of a sudden we all had lots of energy and felt physically wonderful. All three of us have agreed that we have not felt this energetic in years. While the book did not live up to the promise of flatten your belly in six weeks, it certainly is worth reading just to feel "physically" better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Food, Facts and A Flat Belly, June 7, 2007
Though I have a large library of cookbooks and health and fitness books (hmm, correlation?) I added this one because it is written in an easy to read format and has recipes that are also easy to use. (If it takes too much time I probably will not keep up with it.)

The book has 18 chapters, beginning with a Cheatsheet, which is the "diet" at a glance. It gives information about number of meals (6!) , portion size, nutritional ingredients and the ABS Diet Power 12 --the author wants you to base your diet on these 12 foods and food groups--Almonds and other nuts, Beans and legumes, Spinach and other veggies, Dairy( Low fat, of course), etc.

Also included is an exercise program for the gym and at home and special abs workouts for 2 of the strength training sessions.

What I like best about this book is that every principle is supported by current scientific research. The author has also included stories of women who had used the Abs Diet and their results. It's motivating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, July 26, 2007
During my first year of college, I began to gain the dreaded "freshman 15". Let's just say by the time June rolled around, I was not ready for beach season, and I was looking for something simple to help me shed some pounds. I really needed something that was simple enough to where I didn't need to join a gym and didn't have to spend hours preparing meals.

One early morning, I was watching the Today Show and they did a segment on the Abs Diet for Women. The author introduced the basics of plan and talked about some of the successes women have had. I then went on to research the book along with others, finally settling on this one.

I am really happy with the book and the results thus far. In the first week, I lost 5 lbs. I also feel I have more energy and my skin even looks better from eating all of the frech foods. I have yet to have a bad meal as well.

If you are a beginner in terms of dealing with proper nutrition and exercise like I was, then this book is for you. Hope you find it as helpful as I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Redesign of a Great Plan, August 21, 2007
A fair amount of people have complained that it is just a "retread" of the Abs Diet for Men. I own the men's diet books, have looked at this one, and for the record, there is new and different information in this book that is tailored to women. If you're happy with the first one, you may not need this book. But if you you don't own the original Abs Diet book and are female - especially if you are postpartum or want to know how it applies to specifically female concerns - then I'd suggest getting this book.

First, many readers complained that the original books had the sort of "Frat house" air due to various comments. That does turn some women (and men) off. I believe that they took them out of this one.

Second, men and women do have different physiques and hormonal balances. Men find it easier to lose weight due to their testosterone levels. Also, they just do not put so much weight on in the rear and hips, which women do. The women's version has additional exercises that target the thighs, hips and rear. Additionally, the book does have workouts for postpartum moms (granted, many women do not have children but for those who do, and who want to work out their abs, they need workouts that take into account the unique needs of this time) and talks about how to deal with menopause.

The original book was occasionally mocked for being aimed at men - as though there are not numerous workouts designed solely for women. The author responded by putting out a book that tailored it to women. Fair enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good basic info but nothing cutting edge, August 21, 2007
SG "pharmD Gal" (Coppell, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I think this book provides solid basic information for women looking to lose weight. Being a new mom, I especially liked the post-partum workout plan and info. But as someone who has followed lots of diets and been in the battle of the bulge for over 10 years, this book doesn't really provide cutting edge info. For more detailed and cutting edge information, I highly recommend "The Six-Pack Diet Plan" by Rehan Jalali and "The New Rules of Lifting" by Lou Schuler. These two books will set you straight!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great diet!, September 12, 2007
I bought this book in mid-June and three months later I'm down 15 pounds and 8.5 inches. The diet itself is really just common sense - eat smaller meals that are made up of healthy, non-processsed food, but the combination of "Power Foods" helps boost your metabolism and build muscle, which increases the rate of weight loss. I can't imagine eating any other way at this point. This is no longer a "diet" for me - it's a lifestyle. The book explains how each of these foods fuels your body's weight loss, fight disease, and make you stronger and healthier.

I will say that unless you are planning to have a baby soon, you really don't need the "women's" book. Save a few pennies and get the original Abs Diet book. The core principles are the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the better diet books out there, September 27, 2007
Ginger (Miami, FL USA) - See all my reviews
Overall, this book is full of good information, presented in an easy-to-understand format. The dietary recommendations are sound, advocating a balance of protein, healthy fats, and carbs with the majority of the diet coming from whole food sources. The only objection I had was to the use of chromium picolinate supplements - this substance has been shown in animal studies to cause cancer and there is not enough evidence to call it safe for humans. If you need it, chromium is found naturally in brewer's yeast and other foods. The exercises presented were excellent, with both gym and home workouts. The ab-focused moves range from beginner to advanced, and cardio and yoga exercises are also included for variety. I personally like the book's focus on improving health - weight loss is a natural secondary benefit of a healthy lifestyle. Reading was a bit choppy though, with vignettes scattered throughout, frequently in the middle of a paragraph, which makes you flip back and forth through the pages to catch everything. Overall, I enjoyed this book, and I have followed some of the recommendations given. In 2 weeks I have already noticed results. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is really good, May 18, 2007
This book is really good, they do a little bit of cutting and pasting from the Men's Version of this book. This is kind of like the Remix for Women if you will. Alot of good meals and exercises just for women in here. Very educational. If you follow it you have to get into better shape. Teachs you how to eat and gives you exercise plans. Well worth it.

The Abs Diet for Women: The Six-Week Plan to Flatten Your Belly and Firm Up Your Body for Life
Used & New from: $1.07