4.0 out of 5 stars The Absolute Beginners Guide to Stitching Beaded Jewelry
Published on November 20, 2010 by Charlene M.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great for beginners beaders.
I was disappointed in this book. I thought this book might be used as a visual guide in teaching beginners. Most of this book is written instructions with very little in the way of diagrams or step by step illustrations. I also found the tutorials to be overly project specific and was more of a showcase for the designers work. There are no general beading instructions...
Published 11 months ago by Diana Dickerson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Absolute Beginners Guide to Stitching Beaded Jewelry, November 20, 2010
This review is from: The Absolute Beginners Guide: Stitching Beaded Jewelry: Everything You Need to Know to Get Started (Paperback)
I purchased this book at Amazon after leafing through it at a craft store. I was impressed by the beauty of the jewelry as well as the well-written step-by-step instruction and illustrations I also was pleased to see that the author teaches the Peyote stitch which is a stitch I've long admired but even the bead store near my home didn't teach because they said it was too difficult. The projects start out easy and get progressively more difficult with each lesson building on the previous lesson. I am pleased to say that I like nearly every piece of jewelry in the book and that, by the time I reach the end of the book, I think I will have an amazing knowledge of beading techniques.

I have a few criticisms, and I am only saying this because the book is called "The Absolute Beginners Guide." Project 2 says to cut 1 yard of beading thread. This is absoultely not enough thread. I cut 5 feet of beading thread (just to be on the safe side), and I ran out of thread before I could attach the clasp. I probably have the smallest wrists in the world (which is one of the reasons I wanted to learn to make bracelets--because I have never been able to get a bracelet small enough), so it was not a matter of my wrists being too big. Some of the other projects say to "cut a comfortable length of thread." No absolute beginner would have any idea how much a comfortable length is. It would be nice if the author gave an approximate length, and then the reader could add a couple feet onto that to hopefully ensure we don't run out of thread. Also, for the absolute beginner (which you've probably figured out by would be me), it would be nice if the author told the reader specifically what type of beading wire or thread the project requires (ie. Fireline 10 lb.test) rather than simply saying "flexible beading wire .010" because, as I found out after starting the first project, the cheap wire kinks easily so the necklace didn't lie flat. The author did state in the chapter called "Beading Threads and Wire" that the beader should use wire with a higher number of cores wires when doing a crossweave stitch, but I didn't remember that until after I had started the project with the inexpensive wire and realized the kinking made the necklace unwearable.

Although I had to pull apart the first two projects I made, this was a valuable learning experience and, after remaking them, I ultimately now have two lovely pieces of jewelry. Other than the above-mentioned criticisms, I think this is an excellent book and would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in beading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bead One, Two,Three, etc., September 23, 2010
Razine Wenneker (St. Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
I have struggled with beading books, but this one is self-explanatory. Good projects explained in easy to follow detail. Only negative is that I would have liked to see a visual print-out of the various bead stitches at beginning of the book. Practice makes perfect and I would have practiced, practiced, practiced before starting out on the beading path.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Beginner Book!, November 17, 2010
Jennifer (Fort Wayne, IN, United States) - See all my reviews
The title of this book by Lesley Weiss, The Absolute Beginners Guide: Stitching Beaded Jewelry, accurately describes the contents. I know pretty much nothing about seed beads and how to weave with them, but after reading through this book, I feel like I could tackle several different types of weaves and be successful. Plus almost every project is one I find aesthetically pleasing so I want to try them (and trust me, that is rare).

The first section of the book is called Basics. It teaches the beginner pretty much anything they would want to know...tools, thread types, findings, beads, how to knot and crimp, workspace, and much more.

The second section contains the projects, of which there are 27. Most (if not all) have an offset section titled "Another Idea" to help spur your creativity and alter the original project. The projects cover crossweave, square stitch, right angle weave, daisy chain, ladder stitch, herringbone, brick stitch, spiral rope, netting, peyote, and St Petersburg chain. These different weave types encompass many types of projects including rings, cuffs, necklaces, bracelets, pendants, and earrings.

I was really surprised by how much I loved this book and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning to weave with seed beads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Beginners Guide, September 30, 2010
Although I have had some experience stringing beads, I had no experience stitching. This book takes you though lots of stitching techniques starting from easy to more difficult. Projects are numbered. Supply lists are included. The directions are very clear and easy to follow. It is the best book I have bought on making jewelry so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginning beaders, October 23, 2010
The emphasis of the book is off loom seed bead weaving techniques. It starts with an introduction that explains the basics of seed beads. The shapes and sizes, the sorts of seed beads you can get. One of my favorite things in this section is a photograph of a watercolor dish that has 1 gram each of different sorts of seed beads so you can see how much is actually in a gram. That's followed up with pages on bigger accent beads, findings,threads and tools. The rest of the basics section is information on how start your projects. How to measure your project length, thread your needle, how much thread to use and what various beading terms mean as well how to tie knots.
Then you get into the stitches. The steps are very well explained in the text with photos to illustrate. The projects are simple wearable pieces that are geared towards beginners to get them acquainted with the stitches. Stitches like right angle weave have a few projects so a beader just starting out can get a better idea of how different bead sizes and types can affect a finished look.
The stitches covered in this book are right angle weave, ladders, brick stitch, square stitch, herringbone, peyote and St. Petersburg chain. It also has some variations like circular brick stitch which is one of my favorite stitches.
This is a book that I can recommend easily to people who want to learn the basic techniques of seed bead work, or to people who have friends who want to learn. I can see using this with my best friend to help her learn how to work with seed beads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Beader!, October 10, 2011
I ordered this book to make the graduated collar pearl necklace on pg. 44. It went perfectly with the dress that I wore at my daughter's wedding & I got rave reviews when word got out that I'd made it myself! Although I've been making jewelry for years, this type of stitching with beads was something I'd always wanted to learn but hadn't gotten around to yet. Now I'm hooked! This book was the perfect choice for me to start with; the written directions & illustrations were very easy to follow & I would highly recommend it to any beginner. I've also made the pendant on pg. 66 and have several other projects chosen to make in the near future. Did I mention I was hooked??!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I was Looking For, October 7, 2010
I love beads and have been stringing them for a few years and have recently been bitten by the seed bead bug. This is a perfect book for me, easy to follow directions and for jewelry I will actually want to wear...so often books have only a couple of designs I really love. I have to say I like every project in the book and look forward to working my way through it, cover to cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners, February 9, 2012
I found this book to be extreemly easy to follow and used a pattern from this book to teach to 20 senior citizens. Very few had a problem with these directions and those who did were not very talented with doing needlework of any kind. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn beading. There are some very pretty and easy bracelets in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine guide for any crafts or needlework library, October 17, 2010
STITCHING BEADED JEWELRY: THE ABSOLUTE BEGINNER'S GUIDE provides everything needed to get started on jewelry that's stitched together with needle and thread. Projects begin at the basic bare-bones level exploring the easy stitches then move to more advanced ideas that build skills. Lessons teach crossweave, brick stitch, herringbone, and more and make for a fine guide for any crafts or needlework library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clear and simple, June 15, 2013
This book is perfect to begin to learn new technics... The english explanations are clear, even for a non english person !

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›