Top positive review
281 people found this helpful
Wonderful upgrade to the historic Children's Picture Bible
on September 8, 2010
I grew up in the 70's and 80's with David C. Cook Sunday school curriculum and the Children's Picture Bible as a staple of every Sunday school classroom. The Picture Bible is finally upgraded in full-comic format (previous version had pictures with lots more text) making this item worth it for the following reasons:
1) Everyone -- and I mean everyone -- I showed this to at work wanted to know where to get one because they could think of at least one child, grandchild, nephew, niece, cousin or themselves to get it for.
2) Everyone is impressed with the art, inking/color, and overall presentation of this book
3) Anyone who knows anything about collecting comic books will attest that the less than $17 price is a steal! Trying to get an equivalent number comic book pages for any secular work (Marvel, DC, Image, etc) would run easily three times that price.
4) Much of the difficulty people have with reading Old Testament parts (such as Numbers) is now accessible to the masses
5) I've had Non-churchgoers who like comics want one. One guy said he'd actually read the Bible for the first time if he had this.
6) This is no specific translation of the Bible, making it more accessible than a favored translation by a few
7) The stories cover:
- Genesis through 2 Chronicles
- a few other choice stories of the Old testament from books like Jonah, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Michal, Daniel, Ezra
- Matthew through Acts
- some other New Testament stories and finally Revelations
NOTE: Some people may complain that the stories and dialogue are "too loose" of an account on actual Biblical text. Just understand that the stories here are "based" on the Bible text, it's not intended to be a word-for-word representation.
If you or a kid you know have never read through the Bible, maybe this is a place to start and enjoy 200 key stories in a wonderful, visual presentation. If you have read much of the Bible, this createa an excellent visual representation of the the stories that seem familiar