5.0 out of 5 stars good spooky fun...
(This is a one disk set with both movies on the same disk). The movies are great, but the only thing that bothered me is, they are not in wide-screen format as promised in the advertisements. It even says it's supposed to be wide screen on the disk itself, but its not. But the movies are the same great movies...just have to get over the full-screen formatting...
Published on November 21, 2007 by Shannon OHare

3.0 out of 5 stars it is great movie
to bad raul jula will not be remebered for this movie which in my opinon was his best works for me
Published 19 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars good spooky fun..., November 21, 2007
This review is from: The Addams Family / Addams Family Values (DVD)

The original Addams family movie is the return of Uncle Fester who lost at sea in the bermuda triangle and finds his way home with amnesia. Though the Addams are finally reunited they are separated again with the help of a greedy real-estate agent, lone shark, and less then friendly Judge. Forced out of the comfort of their mansion the Addams must learn to live with the outside world until Fester starts to remember life with his family and they band together to fight to get everything they had back to the way it was. Every Cast Member plays their roll wonderfully enough to make you forget they're not the original cast members to the TV show.

The Addams Family Values is a sequel to the first movie with the original cast members (family members anyway...new evil characters are introduced). It starts off with Mortisha giving birth to a baby boy. With the new baby in the house Mortisha and Gomes decide to hire a nanny (Joan Cusack) who turns out to be a demented murder that agrees to marry Fester and tries to tear him apart from his family to steal the Addams Family fortune.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two good movies, one disk, one low price!, April 28, 2007
This review is from: The Addams Family / Addams Family Values (DVD)
These are both enjoyable movies. The first one is my favorite of the two, but the second is still highly enjoyable and worth having on this disk. All the major roles are perfectly cast as far as I'm concerned. The special effects are fantastic for their time. I've always wondered how they did the effects for Thing. If the movie were more recent It'd be done as a CG character, but I'm pretty sure this was before they would have been able to do it that way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love them; slightly dissapointed., July 15, 2008
This review is from: The Addams Family / Addams Family Values (DVD)
I love both movies although Family Values has a slightly better plot than Values. I do like Values better though. Both movies are highly recommended for watching and buying if you like funny "horror" movies. Horror in the sense that it is an atmospheric horror type movie without any actual gore, etc. on the screen. It's all implied and left up to the viewer's imagination. If you've seen the tv show, then expect more of that. Anjelica Houston is perfect as Morticia and Raul Julia is perfect as Gomez. The rest of the cast is excellent also in both movies.

Features:
Both movies are widescreen and on one dvd. Unless there are hidden easter eggs, the only special features on the dvd for both movies are the theatrical trailers for both movies--a total of 4 trailers on the dvd. Both movies have English subtitles only. The audio options are English 5.1 surround and English 2.0 surround. The dvd transfer looks fine. The dvd itself plays fine in my old, cranky player, which is rare since it usually has trouble playing discs because of the copyright protection on the discs I have.

Why I'm disappointed is that I expected more special features on the disc itself. I was surprised when I opened the disc and found both movies on one disc. If the lack of special features does not bother you (and it doesn't bother me a lot), then this set is the one you want since it a reasonable price for both movies. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You, Thing, May 16, 2007
Eric01 (Waldport, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Addams Family / Addams Family Values (DVD)
The movie Addam's Family is a little darker than the orginal TV bunch. More sinister -- less innocent in intent.

Wonderful campy performances by the entire cast, especially Wednesday. The camp sequences in _Addams Family Values_ alone is worth the price of admission.

Very witty screenplays -- I pretty much laughed my way through both of these.

Two thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Halloween Treat, January 4, 2007
TallyLassy (Tallahassee, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Addams Family / Addams Family Values (DVD)
Cute, entertaining movie(s) with all-star casts. This will become a tradition around Halloween at our house (as well as other times of year). Unique films without being overly violent or gory. Very enjoyable and totally recommend for family movie entertainment.

4.0 out of 5 stars SNAP SNAP To It, November 9, 2010
This review is from: The Addams Family / Addams Family Values (DVD)
Full disclosure --- I don't know diddily-squat about The Addams Family beyond these two movies and the theme song.
* Black-and-white TV show? Watched one episode.
* Video games? Played a few, sucked at all of them.
* Comic strips? Never seen them.
* Cartoons? Umm...there were cartoons?

Now that we got that out of the way, this two-movie combo is a great dose of macabre comedy. These two movies --- "The Addams Family" (1991) and "Addams Family Values" (1993) --- are filled with great style, terrific cast, and smart humor that continue to surprise.

The highest of compliments must go the casting. Every one is pitch-perfect in their roles, including the guest stars from each film. I'll get the elephant in the room out of the way, first: Christina Ricci's Wednesday Adams absolutely steals every scene she's in. Don't get me wrong, everyone is terrific with their work, but I think it's fair to say that what people will remember most about these movies (especially the sequel) is that adolescent Wednesday Adams is the one character we can't wait to see next.

But to ramble on and on about Wednesday would be a disservice to the strong leads in Anjelica Huston and Raul Julia patriarchs Morticia and Gomez Adams. Their constant infatuation and undying love for one another is delightfully creepy and intoxicatingly sensual...well...to each other anyway. The total disregard (or confusion) at normal human behavior is simply The Addams Family behaving naturally, and Morticia and Gomez's encouragement of the strange rituals drives it all. I don't know how else I would've imagined the Uncle Fester character before these movies, but after Christopher Lloyd's bizarre interpretation, I don't care. His Fester is like a giant boy who hasn't quite escaped his childhood, no matter how hard he tries to abandon it. Although the first movie sets up that quality, the sequel really puts it to the test.

I feel bad skipping over the rest of the cast, but Granny, the dead-butler-walking Lerch, the young not-quite- sadist Puggsley, and even whomever did the movements for Thing (literally a crawling dismembered hand) deserve a ton of credit as well, even if just for keeping up with their scene-stealing co-stars. Although the guest stars in the first "Addams Family" are well-cast (Elizabeth Wilson, Dan Hedaya, and Dana Ivey as schemers trying to rip off the family's wealth), the sequel's exclusive stars like Joan Cusack's black-widow who target's Uncle Fester, or Peter MacNicol & Christine Baranski as summer camp counselors who are continually horrified at the Addams' children's sense of reality, are even better.

The stronger quality of the sequel's guest stars translates to the two films as a whole: "Addams Family Values" is superior to the original "Addams Family" in every way. The jokes are funnier. The actors are even more comfortable and daring in their roles. More importantly, however, the story is much more interesting than the debut feature film. In "The Addams Family" (1991), the setup revolves around Uncle Fester's mysterious return when he's under control of an adoptive mother. It's great that the story takes a chance, and it's still a solid movie, but it's more strange than entertaining. "Addams Family Values" (1993), on the other hand, cuts right to the chase with Morticia giving birth to a new child that the older siblings fail to murder time after time, while new nanny Debbie's sinister plot involving Uncle Fester is suspenseful and funny. And when Wednesday and Puggsley are sent to summer camp...Holy Jesus, every single scene is gut-busting hilarious.

Where the two movies are on equal ground is the production quality. The work done by Ken Adam ("Values" - most famous for Dr. Strangelove & some James 007 movies) and Richard MacDonald (the original movie - no slouch either despite his low key catalog) is incredible. The Addams home is creepy, as if Halloween is just another day in the week. Granny cooks up the most disgusting meals. Lerch tends to colorless weeds & vines after Morticia cuts off the all the flower petals. And the detailed graveyard fuels Morticia's & Gomez's hormones almost as much as their deathly dirty talk. A stageplay involving Wednesday and Puggsley rival's any bloodspurt from the "Kill Bill" movies. Even the more normal settings in "Values" have a creepy vibe to them, mainly because they're in such constrast to the Addams' usual surroundings. The costuming (inspired from the comic strips & TV show, for sure) is dead-on. The actors & designers had to make those ghoulish garments look like everyday apparel, and by God, they all made it work. And Marc Shaiman's music rivals anything that Danny Elfman would've put together for this kind of material.

Both films are worth adding to your library, but if you don't quite warm up to "The Addams Family", I urge you to give the sequel a try. "Addams Family Values" is bigger and better, with its predecessor serving as a nice warmup. We don't get enough creepy, darkly humorous movies like this anymore. The best compliment you can give to a comedy: Laugh while at the same time asking yourself, "How in the hell did they come up with and get away with THAT?" Only in The Addams Family, that's for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uncle Knick Knack's Winter Wardrobe. Uncle Knick Knack's Summer Wardrobe. Uncle Knick Knack., September 29, 2009
D. A. Reed (Elkton, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Addams Family / Addams Family Values (DVD)
The Addams Family- I remember seeing this one when I was very young. Before I even saw the original series, I was hooked, including the animated version, which was being rerun on Cartoon Network at the time and the TV remake The New Addams Family (which is good in its own right, but not as good as the original of course). I couldn't have imagined anyone else playing these characters for the big screen (if they had made a movie of the original show in the 60s I'm sure I'd prefer that but that's a rant for another day). Anjelica Huston and the late, great Raul Julia have so much chemistry together, I can't help but be reminded of that same chemistry seen between Carolyn Jones and John Astin. Though due to a higher budget, Gomez can do more amazing feats than he could from the show. Not much is added to Morticia however but she's just as beautiful as ever (and great at her deadpan wit). A lot of my favorite bits from the film come from their scenes, especially when they reminisce about their first meeting at a funeral. Christoher Lloyd does a good job as Fester but I must say I do prefer Jackie Coogan's version. He was more offbeat and funny than Lloyd even after Fester recovers his memory. Christina Ricci is the only other person besides Lisa Loring to play Wednesday. I'm pretty sure she had a hard time keeping a straight face during the entire production. She and Jimmy Workman have a decent chemistry together but I wish they hadn't made Pugsley such an idiot, especially in the show when he was capable of mixing various chemicals. The plot is good but my main problem with the story in this and the sequel is that the main focus isn't the family but Uncle Fester. They make it seem that without him, the family can't function (how Gomez and the family survived for 25 years without him is a mystery). The music was excellent. My favorite music sequence is the party; first when Morticia and Gomez waltz, then reveal the entire party and the Mamushka sequence. Shaiman's version of the original theme is good but I wish it was used more. The only real bother I have is the Hammer songs used, especially the Addams Groove. 5 stars.

Addams Family Values- This one is more in the vein of the original comic strips. A new baby is introduced into the house, causing sibling rivalry. A new nanny tries to kill Fester for his fortune (I liked it better when he was Morticia's brother because now everything revolves around him) and Wednesday and Pugsely are sent to summer camp and meet that guy from NUMB3RS. I have mixed feelings about the sequel. Its not a rehash of the first, except for the whole Fester/fortune gimmick. I like the idea of the children causing havoc in the camp and Fester having a love interest. But I just don't like it as much as the first for some odd reason. The original cast is good, though I don't know why they didn't get the same woman to play Grandmama. Peter MacNicol and Christine Baranski are just plain annoying as the camp counselors (good thing they got roasted but Baranski is one of my favorite actors). Joan Cusack is a delight as the deranged Debbie and I especially like the part when she tells them why she kills people. The original Addams theme is used more in this, especially during my favorite sequence (the Tango in the restaurant). More hip-hop songs are used in this and, like the Hammer songs of the first film, are not that memorable. Not that much to say about this one except its creepier, kookier and ookier. 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS SET, January 12, 2007
This review is from: The Addams Family / Addams Family Values (DVD)
I bought this for my young daughter for Christmas and we really enjoy it. Having both of these movies on the same DVD makes storage easier AND it ensures they don't get seperated if we want to watch them back to back.

I grew up a big fan of the Addams family, original series. My 9yr old daughter grew up as a fan of the remake of this series, which came out as two movies: The Addams Family and Addams Family Values. Raul Julia, Anjelica Huston and Christopher Lloyd do a wonderful job in the remakes; so much so, that I personally like the remakes almost as much as the original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, July 4, 2010
This review is from: The Addams Family / Addams Family Values (DVD)
These movies are brilliant...There is nothing quite like it.
I was a big fan of the series and was ready to be critical but between Angelica Huston, Raul Julia and in the 2nd movie Joan Cusack it's just win, win, win....

5.0 out of 5 stars Two VERY Funny Movies, April 23, 2010
BrotherSpider "Spider" (The Order of the Eternal Broken Nose) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Addams Family / Addams Family Values (DVD)
I will miss Raul Jullia. I would have loved to see this series continue. Sad, but we still have two of the funniest movies ever made

The Addams Family / Addams Family Values
The Addams Family / Addams Family Values by Barry Sonnenfeld (DVD - 2006)
$16.99