"In the final analysis, the authors are to be commended for bringing a compendium of information together in one volume." (PsycCRITIQUES, 5/31/2006)
From the Back Cover
The Addiction Counselor's Desk Reference offers a comprehensive compilation of information covering the full spectrum of addictive disorders, their consequences, and treatment. It includes detailed definitions and practical illustrations of addiction-related terminology; addictive disorders and behaviors; descriptions of treatment models and techniques; and lists of relevant web sites, government resources, and treatment centers. And it provides this information in a convenient and accessible format, giving addiction treatment professionals a vital quick-reference tool for daily use.
Divided into nine user-friendly sections, this guide covers:
- Abused substances and their effects
- Conceptual tools used in the field
- Treatment planning and assessment resources
- Clinical skills and resources
- Treatment resources
- Professional management
- Career enhancement resources
- Major organizations, grant funding resources, drug policy advocates, and professional journals
- A glossary of important terms
Written by Robert Holman Coombs, a leading authority on addiction research, prevention, and treatment, and addiction specialist William A. Howatt, The Addiction Counselor's Desk Reference is the most up-to-date resource of its kind. Addiction professionals of all types will find this information-packed guide to be an invaluable practice tool.