Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Adobe Illustrator CS6 WOW! Book
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 20, 2013
I am teaching an intermediate class at a community college and since the reviews were so good, I chose this book. BIG MISTAKE. I was assigned this class on short notice, and now cannot change the book. The examples are nice work, but there is almost no information on how the art was made. These are very complex files. The book is useless except for reference on ideas and examples for professionals. You can only recreate the files if you already know how.
The example files are each pass code protected every time you open, watermarked, and have a written message that they are copyrighted. We bought the book, we get that it and it's sample files are copyright protected. Don't make it so EXTREMELY painful to download and use the files.
33 comments|39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2013
I have Adobe Illustrator Wow CS5 and really liked the book. For that reason, I bought this one.
I should not have! There is some new information, but not enough to warrant the purchase. If you do not have the earlier version, than I recommend this book. I teach computer illustration in the community college and this book gave me some great ideas for exercises for the students. This is more of an idea book than a how-to book. For a basic how-to, I recommend Illustrator One-on-one by Deke McClelland.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon December 5, 2012
I've noticed that this series has shrunk in page sizes over time. The CS4 version had 496 pages, CS5 with 304 pages and now the CS6 version has 284 pages. I don't have the CS4 WOW book so I can't say for certain what material has been dropped. Anyway, that's not important because the book is still great!

This book is for the intermediate and professional uses. You need to have the basics to fully appreciate the content.

This is a tips and techniques book. There are plenty of practical tips. One thing I like about the series is they use real life examples. Many artists have their work featured and there's commentary explaining how their working process. The writing is concise and easy to follow. There are many neat tricks that aren't featured in official training guides. These are what set this book apart from others.

There's no more disc with the book. You've got to download it from their WOW! Online website. Shouldn't be a problem unless you have no internet connection.

Since this is a series of books, some of the material in this CS6 book is repeated and updated from the CS5 book.There is a lot of new content too.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)
on November 4, 2014
Have been reading this series since CS2 edition. Steuer is one of the premier writers for this industry. The book provides examples and techniques I've not found anywhere else. Well laid out and rich in details. Production value of the book could be better. The book cover is not glossy or even very well constructed. Also far fewer pages from earlier editions. Cost saving measures, I'm guessing, but don't let it detract you from buying this book. Read Steuer for her content, not for the quality of production.
on December 13, 2013
This is the third book I've purchased from the talented, inspiring and shall I say very lovely (I saw her on Lynda.com) Sharon Steuer. Illustrator is certainly one of my favorite applications and Sharon makes it easy to learn by showing example after example, step by step guidance that is clear and not wordy. If you are into vectors you've found a great place.
on March 21, 2013
I teach Illustrator, so I need to have good reference books, sources for my own training. I live in an isolated area, so I've gotten most of my training from books. I have purchased all versions of this book way back to the beginning and gotten something new out of each one. I would consider this book for Int/Adv learning, but as such, it covers a lot of ground, things you will not find elsewhere. This is powerful knowledge that really helps you to understand how to work with Illus. in new ways to get the most out of it. Learn to work like a professional. Not for beginners, but the Wow books beat all the others when it comes to Illustrator. Believe me, I teach and I've purchased them all. These are my secret weapon.
on March 13, 2016
I enjoyed the CS5 WOW! book, so I went out and bought the CS6 book. To my surprise, almost half the book is a direct copy of the CS5 version, despite it saying on the back that this book is "loaded" with new artwork, and there's no indication on either the book or the amazon description that this isn't really a "full" book.

What really boggled my mind was that some of the examples teaching the same technique actually changed, but they couldn't be bothered to have a different illustration for all of them.

I'd recommend picking up one version and that's it. Otherwise you will just be paging through your new book trying to find the ones that you haven't already seen. Disappointed.
on January 4, 2013
What happened to the work Christine Beauregard? I always looked forward to seeing her new work. Other than that I love love love the "Wow Illustrator" books including the current version. I recommend that you also keep and/or buy all all the older versions of WOW Illustrator Books or buy "used" copies from Amazon. This is one series of computer "how-to" books (unlike Photoshop) that older versions do not go out of style. In fact, just recently, I looked up a cool method of making circular flowers from WOW CS2 that I can't find anywhere else including tutorials on the web.

I estimate that about 1/3 of each version is a repeat from the previous version. Makes sense as some information is basic to the software and has to be presented. But each version, including this one, presents the new tools with not only instructions on how to use them but adds relevant artwork from professional in the field. That's why I miss Beauregards' work. I'm sure she uses the "draw inside" tool a lot. All of my WOW illustrator books are heavily marked. If you are a beginner I suggest, as they do in the book, to get either Golding's basic book or follow tutorials on adobe.com Those books will help with "how to use the software." The WOW books takes your basic skillsets and provides you with the creative component.

I also recommend purchasing WOW book, version CS5. In my opinion, Illustrator CS5 and CS6 were Adobe best upgrades. They finally added tools that seem we've been needing forever such as: "draw inside" (no more clipping masks, yeah!!!), pattern-maker, stroke's width builder, and shape-builder tool. These new tools have cut my workload in half.
on October 18, 2012
We get a lot of comments and questions from readers of DTG Magazine and the Design Bookshelf. Recently, some of the comments are telling us people don't buy books much any more since they think they can get it all online. Ha! That may be true for some things -- but NOT Illustrator! People just don't upload as much with Illustrator as they do for Photoshop and other programs because Illustrator is a lot harder. Sure, it's easy to run some filters over a photo and call yourself a 'Photoshop Expert' ... but try creating some good art in Illustrator and you see it's a totally different ball game. If you want to kick some butt with Adobe Illustrator, you need the WOW book!

Sharon Steuer's WOW is all new, and all hot for the latest version of the essential software for graphic designers. I've run a number of the tutorials and had a superb time learning some of the subtle new twists of CS6! (Some have even helped eliminate some of the frustrations caused by Adobe's totally twisted changes!)

I've gone into a lot more depth in the review at graphic-design.com -- and the point worth mentioning here is that the online treasury of resource and support files are easily worth the price you'll pay here! There's no longer a CD because all this stuff wouldn't come even close to fitting a CD. So gig after gig after gig of remarkable files are all available right online! Most of the example files are in their pristine, layered, native Ai format, so you can see exactly how everything relates.

Click here and get this book today. I guarantee won't regret it! Go get The Adobe Illustrator CS6 WOW! Book, by Sharon Steuer... with guests : Jean-Claude Tremblay, Cristen Gillespie, Steven H. Gordon, Lisa Jackmore, Aaron McGarry, and a host of other high, top-shelf illustrators and creatives

And, come see us in the Design-bookshelf or DTG Magazine at the Design Center.

Fred Showker
review image
55 comments|17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2013
I love this book. Fast shipping and brand new, great price. Lots of great information. Easy to read and understand. I am taking a class and this helped me better than the teacher. WOW is a great description for this book and I am guessing the whole WOW serisis.