5.0 out of 5 stars a few notes
Published on May 11, 2005 by race_of_doom

This has to be the worst professional DVD set I've ever seen.

1.Every time I want to watch an episode, I have to skip through a bunch of previews.

Published on December 30, 2005 by J. S.

5.0 out of 5 stars a few notes, May 11, 2005
This review is from: The Adventures of Pete & Pete - Season 1 (DVD)
I'm not here to critique the show "The Adventures of Pete & Pete" -- I could go on for a very long time and still not convey what it, as a show, means to me. It (like another review here wonderfully stated) still holds up, even when you have had it's importance build up in your mind after years of not being able to see it. Usually, your favorite childhood shows are incredibly underwhelming after a prolonged hiatus -- but in this case, the show is actually even weirder and more sophisticated than you remember.

I'd just like to respond to the review concerning the quality (as in visual) of this DVD set.

Someone else hinted that because of the bootlegs, this set is unnecessary. The quality of the bootlegs are not any better, and in many cases worse. For this DVD set, the actual quality of the episodes is what you'd see on TV if they were re-run on Nickelodeon.

The most glaring problem occurs in the episode "Day of the Dot" (the classic Big Pete and Ellen kiss on the football field) -- a noticable and slightly annoying tape error creates a constant line of red in the upper section of the screen, and it stays that way for about five to ten minutes.

But other than that, there's really not much else to complain about.

Nickelodeon obviously didn't know how to handle this show properly; if there are any other faults noticable on these episodes, it's just how they are now. There's no way to go back and reverse the damage done to the master tapes throughout the years.

That's not to say the quality is God-awful; far from that. If you have seen the recent and much lamented Noggin re-runs, you'll know what you're getting. Neither above-average or below-average quality, just good enough.

So leave quality out of your mind when you purchase -- these episodes look just fine, and we should be thankful that they are finally available. Buying this set may also help the future of other Nickeloden DVD releases (I personally would love some "You Can't Do That on Television") and more seasons of this classic show on DVD.

Final edit: the commentary tracks for this DVD set are from co-creators Will McRobb and Chris Viscardi and director Katherine Dieckmann on the episodes "What We Did on Our Summer Vacation," "Day of the Dot" and "The Nightcrawlers." Also of note is the Polaris music station, which features seven songs that can also be found on the Polaris CD (aptly titled "Music From The Adventures of Pete & Pete").

5.0 out of 5 stars The only childhood show that's as good as you remember, April 26, 2005
This review is from: The Adventures of Pete & Pete - Season 1 (DVD)
For the uninitiated, Pete and Pete was a surreal show about two strange brothers in an even stranger town. Think "Twin Peaks" for the elementary school-junior high crowd.

The show is silly and bizarre, but in a "Cartoon Network Adult Swim" or Will Ferrell way (demented to the point of nearly not being for children), not in the way newer Nick programming like "All That" is (kids acting like idiots and talking loudly).

Most of the best bits come from the neighborhood superhero Artie "the strongest man... IN THE WORLD!", who either has powers beyond our comprehension, or is a skinny, deranged lunatic who thinks he does.

Upon reviewing the shows of your youth, you usually find the animation/acting or the stories to be weak, or the jokes to be nowhere near as funny as you remember. Pete and Pete is the exception to the rule.

5.0 out of 5 stars A++++ for quality ingredients, C for presentation, June 4, 2005
This review is from: The Adventures of Pete & Pete - Season 1 (DVD)
Imagine a scene sometime in the not-too-distant future when you are consuming snackables and watching DVDs with a friend.

"What are we watching now?" your friend asks.

"The Adventures of Pete & Pete, Season One. Only one of the best sitcoms of all time. A show that could get you misty-eyed over a man who lives in a portajohn. A show that introduced me to the meaning of love through Ellen Hickle, blessed be her name."

"How come I've never heard of it?"

"Bite my scab, blowhole!" you say, as you insert disc two because that's where they put two of the shorts that precede the series proper, selected apparently at random from the sixteen that were produced. Your friend asks why they did that, and you explain that, according to legend, a Paramount Home Video employee once suggested that they include *all* of the shorts on the Season One set, or at least maybe, say, the *first* two shorts, or all five of the specials instead of four of them, but that employee was summarily fired and escorted from the office by armed guards. Then you tell your friend to quit asking so many questions as you skip past the Lemony Snicket trailer for the one millionth time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Episode List, March 22, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Adventures of Pete & Pete - Season 1 (DVD)
1: Day of the Dot (Big Pete battles with the marching band)

2: Nightcrawlers (Little Pete tries to extend his bedtime)

3: King of the Road (the family goes on a road trip)

4: Tool and Die (big pete goes through shop class)

5: Rangeboy (Big Pete gets a job at Dad's driving range)

6: When Petes Collide (The Petes battle for Dad's bowling ball)

7: Don't Tread on Pete (Big Pete learns about the Revoloutionary War)

8: Hard Day's Pete (Little Pete searches for his favorite song)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nick is Back!, April 23, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Adventures of Pete & Pete - Season 1 (DVD)
Finally after all these years, Nick decided to release Pete and Pete on DVD. This was one of the greatest shows of all time. Everyone who watched Nick as a kid should buy this DVD and hopefully it will tell Nickelodeon that we want more classic shows on DVD! I'm talking about the other seasons of Pete and Pete, Salute your Shorts(my favorite), Kenan and Kel, My Brother and Me(does anyone else remember this show?), the original Doug(not the one on Disney), Are you Afraid of the Dark?, Hey Dude, Roundhouse, The Secret World of Alex Mac, Legends of the Hidden temple, and all the other amazing shows that were out there. Keep putting these shows on DVD Nickelodeon!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Start to an Excellent Series, May 19, 2005
Patrick Hug (La Mirada, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adventures of Pete & Pete - Season 1 (DVD)
Growing up, my whole family enjoyed crowding around the tube for our weekly installments of "Pete and Pete" on Nickelodeon. Since much has been written about the show already, I'll focus on the DVD set alone.

Pros:

The series has held up extremely well over the past 10 years, which is rare for many kids shows. All 12 installments are expertly written and executed, but the show definitely seems to have found its legs after "Day of the Dot."

The included commentaries, while few, offer a lot of great insight from the series creators and production designer into how they created a kids' show that didn't patronize kids or bore their older siblings and family members. "The Nightcrawlers" offers the best combination of production details and creative insight.

The inclusion of the "Polaris Audio Station" feature is a nice touch. "Pete and Pete" was greatly defined by its cutting-edge (at the time, at least) alt-rock soundtrack, and it's great to have access to the works of the show's official band.

The audio and video (with one notable exception) are on par with a cable rebroadcast. Sometimes the picture becomes a bit grainy in dim shots, but this is a result of the source material.

Cons:

As mentioned earlier, "Day of the Dot" has a noticable defect: a red distortion line running through the middle of the screen for nearly 10 minutes. It doesn't kill the experience, but it is quite distracting, and a bit of a disappointment that more care wasn't put into the DVD's post-production.

The absence of more of the wonderful short films that pre-date the series is something of a let-down.

Finally, each DVD comes with nearly seven(!) minutes worth of advertising prepended that can't be skipped. I'm all for corporate synergy, but since much of this is repetitive (Two ads for Spongebob in a row?!), I'd suggest starting the DVD first, then chasing down a Mr. Tastee truck for some popsicles. The main menu will be up when you return.

Final recommendation:

The weight of the material far outweighs the shortcomings of the package. I went from Wellsville Fighting Squid to a member of the International Adult Conspiracy from the time this show left the air to the present, but this show is still as fresh and entertaining as it was in my headier days. It's definitely worth the price and has a high rate of return on repeated viewings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Paramount selling us "short", May 17, 2005
This review is from: The Adventures of Pete & Pete - Season 1 (DVD)
Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted that someone finally wised up and released a box set of "The Adventures of Pete & Pete", easily one of the most creative kids' shows in television history. Buy this box set by all means, especially if you have kids in the 7-12 age range. It's great family viewing that doesn't dumb down.

The reason I can't award 5 stars isn't due to the quality of the episodes themselves. What's lacking here is Paramount's treatment. For example, why were only 2 of the 18 one-minute 'shorts' (most aired prior to Season 1) included? As well, one of the specials, "Space, Geeks and Johnny Unitas", was inexplicably excluded from the box set.

Let's hope Paramount corrects this mistake when they release the Season 2 box set. It'll be nice if they'd also include the alternate "Halloweenie" episode with Season 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars There Is A God, March 14, 2005
Jason (Brentwood, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adventures of Pete & Pete - Season 1 (DVD)
Current and future releases from this new Rewind Collection that Nickelodeon is releasing deserves its own locked and lighted display case that will stand about 10 feet tall in the rooms of many people who just can't grow up (just like me) and can't let Classic Nickelodeon go.

I encourage everybody that ever watched and loved these shows to buy them as soon as they are released because if they sell well, (according to TvShowsOnDvd.com) Nickelodeon is going to release other shows (beginning with Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Salute Your Shorts and You Can't Do That On Television). Other future releases I'm personally hoping for will be Welcome Freshmen, Hey Dude, The Secret World of Alex Mack, Doug, Rocko's Modern Life, All That (the original cast), Kenan & Kel, well, you Get The Picture (that show too!)

To put it simply, I would personally spend all of my life savings and risk not being able to go to work for a month because I have no gas from the money I spent on every show that ever aired on Nickelodeon (up to Figure It Out), after that, nothing does it for me.

Yep, Pete & Pete are coming to DVD. So, let's all wait until May 17th (which is now 2 very long months away) for this beautiful piece of angel exalted glory to be released.

And so, we wait...

4.0 out of 5 stars Thanks, Nick (finally), June 9, 2005
This review is from: The Adventures of Pete & Pete - Season 1 (DVD)
"Pete and Pete" is one of my fave TV shows ever. I was 28 when I first began watching the episodes on Sunday night 10 years ago. If I had been younger, it might have become my favorite show, bar none. The show gets 10 stars; this review refers to the DVD.

The quality of the shows is good. The absence of commercial breaks is a bit glaring, but that's to be expected in a recorded TV show. The most bothersome thing to me about the disc is that everytime I pop it in I have to fast forward through 4 ads for movies and Nick shows (Lemony Snickets, Sponge Bob, Brady Bunch...) I expect this when I rent, but when I purchase something I wish there was a way to skip to the menu.

The bonus material is good - commentaries don't interest me and I'm not the biggest polaris fan but I listened to the 6 or 7 songs they put on. The band is kind of synonomous with the show in my mind. I hope they hurry up with the rest of the episodes, I'm ready!

2.0 out of 5 stars Great to have these on DVD, but as for the product itself...., December 30, 2005
This review is from: The Adventures of Pete & Pete - Season 1 (DVD)
This has to be the worst professional DVD set I've ever seen.

2.The episodes aren't even in order - the "Bonus Specials" are placed at the end of disk two. "The Valentine's Day Massacre" is the premiere, why can't Nickelodeon just put it in the first disk? Instead, I tries to compensate the lack of extras on the DVD by calling these "Bonus" episodes. Come on.

3.Day of the Dot is messed up (I'm sure everyone knows that by now).

4.They can't even make chapters in the episodes? Not even one during commercials? The only chapters of the disks are the 6 chapters, one for each episode. I paused the disk, then accidentally hit the wrong button so I had to restart the disk, skip through the insane previews, select the episode, and then fast foward to fifteen minutes in just to get back to the spot I was at.

This DVD set is a bare minimum product, made by Nickelodeon, who obviously don't give a crap about the amazing shows they put out so long ago. Would they do this to any of their new shows? Hell no.

My brother used to have a local television show. The DVD's he made for them had more special features (and scene selections!) than this set. How pathetic.

Its good that these are finally out on DVD, but it's pretty sad that this set is a cheap quick and flawed job, and this is all we have left of Pete and Pete.

The Adventures of Pete & Pete - Season 1
The Adventures of Pete & Pete - Season 1 by Phil Morrison (DVD - 2005)
$19.99 $13.16