1,082 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!
A film by Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg, story by Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish and starring Jamie Bell, Andy Serkis, Daniel Craig and Pegg & Frost. Sounds good, doesn't it? But 'ware! The subject is one of the most cherished icons of 20th century child's story-telling, held dear by pretty much anyone of a "certain age" and transferred from a...
Published on December 8, 2011 by Crookedmouth

2.0 out of 5 stars Great animation, boring movie
I was amazed by the animation. However, early on, I found some of the characters and/or their actions annoying. Astoundingly, the action sequences are boring -- not exciting -- with too much happening for no particular point. I never felt involved in the story or really cared. Tintin has promise as a character as well as Snowy, the dog. I ran the second half of the movie...
Published on June 25, 2012 by R. Madden

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Indiana' TinTin..., December 24, 2011
This review is from: The Adventures of Tintin (DVD)
Loved the movie, they pitched the personality of the key characters spot on! Bought back a lot of childhood memories. The 3d animation was brilliantly mastered and spielberg did it again. It was quiet an action packed move and there was a hint of Indiana jones, pirate sofmcarribean in it too. It will make you laugh, giggle, oooooh, exciting and truely an all round family movie, although my hubbie thought the special effects were very realistic in places and though therer were pieces with the violence that maybe a little realistic for young kinds below 10: you have been advised!

5.0 out of 5 stars A headlong adventure movie, December 23, 2011
This review is from: The Adventures of Tintin (DVD)
A headlong adventure movie in the spirit of the Indiana Jones movies and the matinee serials that inspired them. In fact, Tintin no doubt was an inspiration in the creation of Indiana Jones and it's wonderful to see Tintin brought to the big screen so grandly and successfully.

I was decidedly unfriendly to the choice of animation style but was won over completely; Spielberg and company have somehow managed to make perhaps the most troubling animation style in existence seem both astonishingly realistic and comfortingly classic at the same time. That is an amazing accomplishment. That it is accomplished in the service of such a fun cinematic romp is a treat to experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars From a longtime Tintin reader -- an excellent film and truly worthy effort!, March 14, 2012
Rhian G. Hunt (Port Wing, WI United States) - See all my reviews
"The Adventures of Tintin", Spielberg's adaptation of Herge's "Red Rackham's Treasure", is both a worthy tribute to the original stories and a fine family adventure movie in its own right.

From the viewpoint of a longtime Tintin fan, I would say that this film is far more faithful to the original works -- including the depiction of the characters' personalities. After the hatchet job done on Aragorn's personality -- turning him into an embarrassingly weak, cowardly, furtive buffoon in the Lord of the Rings movies from the forthright, fearless leader he was in the books -- I feared that Peter Jackson's involvement would result in mangling of the characterizations.

However, all of the characters retain their identifiable traits; many of the scenes from the books are reproduced very closely in the movie; and nowhere, in my opinion, is the spirit of Herge violated.

A few shortcuts are taken in the film to link up plot points that took a lot more exposition in the books, and in fact, the film blends several books together. However, without making the film 10 hours or more long, it would have been impossible to follow the plot exactly. The "abbreviations" are handled smoothly and preserve much of the original story in a slightly more streamlined form.

The film producers did alter several major details of the story, and this is ground that I'm less confident of giving 100% praise to. Sakharine is made the descendent of Red Rackham and the owner of Marlinspike Hall, rather than the Bird Brothers in the latter case. This does make a more complete story, however, and is in my opinion

The seemingly much-loathed duel between cranes at the end is a new addition, but I fail to see what the furor is about. It is hardly "over the top" by the standards of either Hollywood or Herge. In the original books, we have people using crystal balls full of magic powder to attack scientists and put them into a coma-like trance that allowed them to be tortured from thousands of miles away; others rolling off a cliff in huge snowballs; rivers full of piranha-aggressive alligators; and all sorts of weird action. The only reason Herge didn't have a fight between cranes is that he didn't think of it -- it's right up the alley of a Tintin story, as far as I can see.

The one thing that bothers me a bit is Castafiore (sp.) shattering the glass with her singing. It sounds like something that might be included in a Tintin story, but on the other hand, it just sort of came out of nowhere. She showed up for no very good reason, broke the glass, and vanished from the scene. Still, it's a minor hiccup at best, not anything catastrophic.

In effect, the plot was tweaked to fit into the movie and make a more complete story than would have been shown in the limited time. But the personalities of the characters, the whole Herge atmosphere with a mix between investigation and action, and the look and feel of both the people and the scenery all capture what a Tintin movie should look like. A superb, well-crafted film that is respectful to the genius of the original while bringing it vividly to the screen. Herge would have been thrilled, in my opinion -- the movie vindicates his statement that only Spielberg could do justice to his creation.

5.0 out of 5 stars This movie is fun Fun FUN!, January 17, 2012
Andre M. "brnn64" (Mt. Pleasant, SC United States) - See all my reviews
I have never read any of the Tintin books. I have never seen any episodes of the cartoon. I knew nothing at all about Tintin other than he was a Belgian cartoon character (whose books were sometimes controversial) and I usually hate CGI films to boot.

But once I got into the theater and was beginning to follow the story, I was soon on the edge of my seat! This movie is one long exciting adventure that will keep you on the edge of your seat! It has everything you can ask for in a movie of this kind: Likeable heroes (Tintin, the Captain, and Snowy the dog), Snidely whiplash style moustache twirling villains, comedy relief bunglers, and TONS of adventure and action. In one film, you will see swasbuckling swordfighting pirates, French foreign legionnaires, animal fights, wild plane rides, harrowing motorcycle chases across some really great scenery. Oh what good old fashioned rip roaring FUN! I took my nephew to see this and it was like thrilling to Flash Gordon with my dad when I was a kid all over a kid. This movie will bring the adventure loving 12 year old out in the most serious of adults and you will stand up and cheer!

Oh yeah, the "ending" (which I will not reveal here) will have have you yelling, "SEQUEL!" Guess we'll have to wait until around 2014.

After seeing this, I plan to read some of the Tintin books and get the DVDs of the cartoon show, so if you love good clean thrilling fun (well, aside from the fact that the captain is a drunkard) of the Doc Savage/Indiana Jones school, I have two words for you-SEE IT! When the DVD comes out, bring your friends and their families over and make a fun evening out of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars No clever lines, no chuckles, March 28, 2012
N. Gregg (Kansas City, KS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adventures of Tintin (DVD)
I had not heard of TinTin prior to the making of this movie so it was all new to me. I had NO preconceived ideas or expectations going into this.

The animation (like sophisticated claymation?) was very good.

The story starts out interesting enough but kind of peters out a bit. No clever lines in this one like we have grown to expect from many other animated movies - and no chuckles. There is no "charm" to this story or the characters, so this may not glue you to your seat - but it was entertaining enough to watch if you're not the restless type and don't go into it with high expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, December 21, 2011
Maek (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
As a half-Belgian, I grew up on Herge's work of Tintin and loved it immensely. I still have the books that I originally collected back in the 80's. About a year ago, I began reading the Tintin books to my own daughter who has been completely hooked. Then, we learned that Spielberg/Jackson were heading up the effort to bring this to the silver screen.

So, when I heard that Spielberg and Jackson were on the job, I felt that the project was on track to begin with (Spielberg having bought rights to make the movie back in 1984!). After having seen it, I couldn't imagine how much better a Tintin movie might have played out, nor who could have played the characters better. Everyone was perfectly chosen and no one felt out of place...ever.

For those of you unfamiliar with Tintin, what are you in for? Well, to sum it up briefly, Tintin is a young, intrepid reporter who has an insatiable thirst for adventure and need to solve mysteries along with his white, wily dog Snowy (or "Milou" in the original Belgian version) who is never far away from his master's side. Other characters in Tintin's universe include the bumbling detectives, Thompson and Thomson (one with a "p", the other without). Captain Haddock, from the original comic series, is a hopeless drunk ready with a quick lash of his nonsensical oaths ("blistering blue barnacles and ten thousand thundering typhoons!") and even quicker with a bottle of whiskey, often to amusing effect.

*minor spoilers in the next paragraph*

In this movie, Tintin comes across an exquisite replica of a 16th Century ship called the Unicorn. Straight off the bat, the ship is sought after by multiple men who try to relieve Tintin of his purchase at a flea market with cash. Sure enough, Tintin soon becomes embroiled in a mystery that has been buried in the past regarding the ship's secret cargo. The nature of this mystery has supposedly been passed down through to the last surviving heir who happens to be Haddock himself. What follows is a race to decode a cryptic message left in the boat in Tintin's possession. It's a breakneck, fantastic adventure involving danger on high seas, a fantastic aerial sequence, deserts, Moroccan palaces, and Europe itself (albeit a fairly non-descript one that suggests that Tintin is of English origin) ultimately culminating in solving the riddle behind the Unicorn and a revelation of Haddock's past.

For those of you who are familiar with Tintin already, how is the treatment of the source material? I would say that it's fairly decent although bringing such a story to the silver screen does require changes. The movie touches on elements of the "Secret Of The Unicorn," "Red Rackham's Treasure," and "The Crab With The Golden Claws." For the sake of brevity, the pace of the story and the whole Calculus/submarine storyline were abandoned in favor of a plot that moves very quickly. However, elements that closely parallel the original stories (including the moment where Tintin hilariously interrupts Haddock who attempts to incorporate a swig of whiskey during a historical flashback), are handled with exquisitely painstaking detail and you can tell that Tintin afficianados were involved from start-to-finish; this is not a mere cash-grab. In fact, the opening credits feature a vignette that is reminiscent of Herge's original artwork. Also, a quick look around Tintin's apartment shows newspaper articles that depict many of his other adventures from other books. Other touches include a cameo from Herge himself (who has been dead since 1983) as he sketches up Tintin at the flea market, revealing a portrait that is a perfect replica of Tintin from the comics. For a true Tintin nostalgic fan, all of these touches are brief, but a delightful nod for those of us who remember.

As for the motion capture and rendering of the movie itself? Simply astounding. I always thought that Polar Express was beautiful, but there was something about the characters' eyes that gave me the "is there anyone in there" sensation. In this movie, however, everyone looks very much alive and the eyes really betray the emotions of how everyone is feeling. Even the detail of Haddock's spray of explosive saliva as he grates, "No one takes my SHIP!" is a jaw-dropping experience. The ocean water looks extremely real and it's hard to believe that I'm watching an animated feature most of the time. The 3D effects - for those of you who are into it - are really done quite well, but I know that it's not everyone's cup of tea. However, the luminosity issues that plague most 3D movies don't hurt Tintin noticeably; even dark scenes provide extremely good contrast for a great viewing experience. Colors are extremely vibrant and pop even with the 3D glasses. The 2D version looks just as good without the 3D effect...yes, I've seen it twice - I told you that I'm a fan.

As for parents, I would say not to take the PG rating too lightly. Haddock is a drunk, so there is consumption of alcohol but often to humorous effect; however, if that sort of thing offends you, you've been warned. The bad guys also have no qualms at shooting at Tintin, Haddock, and Snowy either...although our trio is not afraid to dish it back either. There is very little blood, but a character does die revealing a blood-spattered newspaper (not excessive, but enough to give you the idea that the fellow isn't doing too well). I took my 8-year old daughter to go see it and she handled it just fine; a lot of the same elements that you see in the movie are in the books as well, so she was already prepared for everything that she was about to see.

I applaud Spielberg for his work on this film. It certainly threw me back 30 years to my own childhood and I enjoyed the movie immensely. The ending of the movie certainly suggest that more could be on the horizon. My only fear, however, is that despite having sold 350 million books, Herge's work is not as widely known in the United States...I can only hope that it does well enough as well as it has overseas thus far to warrant another release. My daughter and I will eagerly be in that line should it ever occur.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much, much better than I was expecting, March 10, 2012
This review is from: The Adventures of Tintin (DVD)
Let me start this off by leveling with you. I don't come at this movie from the perspective of someone who knows nothing about the franchise. You see, I've read virtually all of the Tintin comics, though I never saw the animated series. I know these characters and what they're all about.

Fortunately, fans of the comics won't need to suffer the disappointment of character derailment in this movie. Every last character is spot-on. Tintin, Snowy, Captain Haddock, Thompson & Thompson... It's all there. If you read and enjoyed the comics, you'll find much of what you enjoyed in this film as well.

I say "much," because while a certain amount of excitement was also common in the comics, they were largely mystery-based, rather than action, and this film has very strong and almost-constant action and suspense elements to it, though its penchant for mystery, treasure-hunting and adventure remain as strong as in the comics it was based on.

However, now it's time for the fanboy in me to take a back seat and explain some of what this film is actually about for those not familiar with the character of Tintin (who, it must be admitted, is something of a niche character outside of Europe.)

Tintin, a young reporter and seeker of secrets and stories, buys a model ship in the marketplace one day, while he's out for a walk. Immediately, two men try to buy it off him, but he doesn't sell, because he realizes something must be up with it. A series of accidents, investigations and crimes lead him to uncover an old poem which seems to promise a great treasure to those who can unlock the secret of "the three unicorns sailing in company."

However, Tintin and his friends will need to fight for their lives, because another man; Saccharine is looking for the same treasure, and that's not all he's looking for. He's willing to stop at nothing to get what he wants, even if it involves kidnapping, torture, thievery and murder. Tintin is fast action, high adventure and a thrilling mystery all rolled into one.

Now, specifically to those who've tried to claim that Tintin rips off Indiana Jones. It would be more likely that the reverse was true, since Tintin comics were published from 1929 to 1976, and Raiders of the Lost Ark wasn't released until 1981. However, it's almost universally recognized that what Indy really rips off is Allan Quatermain, so I won't make that claim. Needless to say, if you think this film is a ripoff of Indy, you're simply wrong, and that's all there is to it.

What this film is, is simply fun. Good, clean fun with some nice action sequences and several very good chase scenes. It's a well-done ride, and as icing on the cake, a bit of Catholic history comes up at one point during the movie.

Herge himself (the comic's author) was Catholic, and writing for a Catholic publication, which only elevates my respect for the series, as you might imagine. It's a great series, and a very good movie as well, and I think the main reason is that Stephen Speilburg and Peter Jackson seem to have realized that they just shouldn't mess with what obviously works. Kudos to them for understanding this, and for their faithfulness to the source material.

I recommend this movie to anyone looking for good, clean fun, or anyone who likes a nice, hair-raising adventure. There's guns and alcohol in it, but it's all treated appropriately, I think. I don't even think kids would have too many problems with this movie, to be honest. I know I didn't, and I hope many other Tintin fans will get as much out of it as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining film, March 13, 2012
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Adventures of Tintin (DVD)
Tintin is a young European journalist who also solves crimes. After buying a model ship, he becomes involved in a mystery about a pirate treasure and finds his life is in danger.

I loved this movie. The motion capture technique is fascinating and so well-done. Some characters look cartoonish while others look very real; the scenery is strikingly beautiful. The action-packed story is part pirate swashbuckler and part Indiana Jones adventure; the combination makes for a spectacular and exciting film with a sweet, smart, and very likable young man at its center.

Highly recommended, especially for adults, and you don't have to be familiar with the graphic novel source material to enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should had won the Oscar for animated film and IT WAS NOT EVEN NOMINATED, April 14, 2012
This review is from: The Adventures of Tintin (DVD)
The Adventures of Tintin is not only one of the best animated films I have seen in years it's one of the best films I have seen in years. I like the fact that they keep it real (no talking animals or breaking into song.) It had a good story line and kept you interested in what was going on and I liked the life lesson at the end never let failure defeat you (or something like that.) I can't wait for the next movie.

I would recomend this for anyone nine years and older.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing and very faithful adaptation, March 2, 2012
What's it about?

Tin Tin sets out on adventure to find the golden unicorn and the treasure that awaits, before the evil Red Rackham gets his hands on it.

Is it any good?

Having watched the cartoons and read the comics, you can imagine my delight and relief, as a fan, when the film was announced as collaboration between Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg. Why is that important? Because I had the upmost faith it would be a brilliant film and faithful to Herge's creation. Thank god, I wasn't let down! The brilliance of the film starts from the very cool opening titles with John Williams' amazing, nostalgic score, and from there it doesn't let up. Performances of all the cast was outstanding, with special shout out to Serkis as the bumbling, drunk Captain Haddock. The CGI is immensely detailed, with the character expression the best I have seen in a film. This adaptation will go down as a classic!

Best bit?

There's plenty to choose! However, the opera scene is particularly great for its tension and drama.

Did you know?

The film is based on three of Herge' books: The Crab with the Golden Claws(1941), The Secret of the Unicorn (1943), and Red Rackham's Treasure (1944)

The Adventures of Tintin (Three-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy)
$49.99 $25.75