Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Labor Day Sale in Wine Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event STEM Toys & Games

*****
The Age of Miracles: Embracing the New Midlife describes a refreshing way to approach midlife, not viewing midlife through glasses emphasizing decline and loss, but through a framework of endless possibility, wisdom, an embracing of and creation of new meaning, a turning towards life, a realization of the limitlessness of God, a forgiving of the past, a reimagination of relationships, and being one with the world around us.

Although this book is grounded in A Course in Miracles (as are all of Marianne Williamson's books), it is spiritual rather than religious and appropriate for readers of all spiritual and religious backgrounds. The book is not about ACIM per se, but about aging; there indeed are other books that can be read to find out more about ACIM. This work consists of Marianne Williamson's thoughtful musings on how to age well from a practical and spiritual point of view.

The book is peppered throughout with beautiful short prayers written by the author. The chapters cover the author's thoughts on the losses versus the gains of aging, family of origin issues, healing from childhood wounds, coping with regret, emotional baggage and more. The book describes how to fan into flames our passions, dreams, and inner fire that may seem to be ashes and cinders but is buried under "accumulated burdens and disappointments" by the time we hit midlife---and can be revived. How do we re-enchant ourselves with a new vision at this time of our lives?

Here is a quote that sums up the theme of this book: "Midlife today is a second puberty of sorts. The experience, including its length, is being redefined. It is a period distinctly unlike youth, yet distinctly unlike old age. It doesn't feel like a cruise to the end of our lives so much as a cruise, at last, to the meaning of our lives."

If reading the above excites you and sounds intriguing, you'll love the book as I did.

Highly recommended.
*****
VINE VOICEon January 20, 2008
I bought both the book and the CD series of this. I have only done that a handful of times.

However, Marianne's writing is so engaging that I wanted to read it. I love listening to her while driving as well as I resonate with her voice and her way of expressing herself.

For me, my life only gets better as I age. The early years were actually rougher for me than getting older. But, for those of you struggling with mid-life, this book will give you a very positive perspective on the whole thing and may be just the ticket if you're feeling down.

I find it very validating of thoughts and feelings I've had - and she puts things in a way that I never would have myself that I can really relate to.

Enjoy!
on January 10, 2008
Can I give this book more than 5 stars? Well I DO!
Marianne's extraordinary understanding of spiritual topics is over the top in her new book, The Age of Miracles:Embracing the New Midlife. She changes our perceptions about midlife. I am so grateful because every day I look at my life in a totally thankful way. I never thought that I could get to the place where I felt that MY age is the best. I am so looking forward to the years ahead. Marianne is such a blessing to all ages. I had tears streaming down my face throughout the whole introduction to the book. The joy that I feel in my heart from Marianne's inspiration is so big that my heart hurts. I will be Loving this book throughout my life.
Bravo Marianne! Love and Blessings, Mary Albertson
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Marianne Williamson's The Age of Miracles: Embracing the New Midlife is really about that most human of dreams--The Second Chance.

All of us want to believe that we can change what we don't like about ourselves, that we can recover from past mistakes and bad breaks. If we're fortunate, we discover that all we need to become someone other than what we are resides inside us, in the beautiful, mysterious spirit. Williamson has been helping people learn this simple truth and act on it for two decades, and never has her message been more tender and personal.

"It's time to re-enchant ourselves," she writes, and as she shares her own efforts, she makes it seem so sweet and tangible for the rest of us! I love her heartbreaking, inspiring anecdotes about her relationship with her daughter (who cannot identify with both parties when we read about a little girl who misses her mommy even when she's home?). Most of all, I love Williamson's vulnerability and her honesty. Even for her, life has created surprises that were not always wonderful. She is sadder in these pages, and more tender, and she is also more desirable and compelling than she has ever been.

As we grow older, it's natural, if we still feel anything at all, to feel more vulnerable. The good news is that this is really progress and not a falling down. We learn as we age to take a little more time, which can be taking greater care with everything. We listen better, and we're not as quick on the judgment draw. We're more compassionate, and more in synch with the universe's life-giving energy. Millions of baby boomers are discovering these truths every day now, and Marianne Williamson has just presented us with our first formal acknowledgment and fabulous Guide. "With every new thought," she writes, "you can work a miracle--changing your script and changing your life." With great joy, let's get to it!

--Robert McDowell, The Poetry Mentor, author of Poetry as Spiritual Practice, coming July 15th from Free Press/Simon & Schuster.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I was so excited when I heard about this book, having just turned 50 and looking for some positive inspiration. Although I'm generally a fan of Marianne Williamson's books, this one was sadly disappointing. She seems focused on grieving the loss of her youth, beauty & energy in most of the book which I found depressing. Then she reverts to the same thoughts & prayers we've heard in all her previous work to try to reassure herself. Nothing new, uplifting or inspiring here. I returned the book before finishing it & got my money back-which I can now use to buy some rope to hang myself! (just kidding, but really, I did not like this book)
on January 17, 2008
I just finished reading "The Age of Miracles". Because I have read her other books, I can say, without reservation, that Marianne Williamson's heartfelt prose is better than ever and that, in this instance, you can judge the book by its beautiful and inspirational cover!

This is a deeply personal book that will resonate with baby boomers. Marianne's honesty regarding her highs and lows, her family life, her career, and, most importantly, her spiritual journey will move you in surprising ways. Her wisdom, compassion, and intellect will take you to your younger years and back, while providing you with insight, instilling you with courage, and helping you understand where you have been and where you may be going.

While reading this book over the last couple of days, I grieved for lost opportunities and love, I became more grateful for the lessons that I have learned, I became energized to take better care of myself, and I felt more thankful for my partner, parents, siblings, friends, co-workers, fellow-activists, and all I have encountered who have provided me with glimpses of the face of God.

As a spiritual leader and companion, Marianne's books have shown us the way to love ourselves, those who like us, and those who don't like us ("A Return to Love"), to pray in an uplifting, holistic, and global manner ("Illuminata"), to be engaged citizens ("Healing the Soul of America"), to live peaceful, purposeful, and hopeful lives ("Everyday Grace"), and to become our true selves ("The Gift of Change"). Now, rather than "retire" and simply fade away, "The Age of Miracles" shows us the way to "refire" so that we may use our talents, advantages, privileges, and experience to heal, lead, mentor, and create peace.

"The Age of Miracles" is Marianne's special gift to the world. It is a must read for all baby boomers, and their families, friends and acquaintances, who will be blessed by its wisdom, compassion, and love all the rest of the days of their lives.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 29, 2008
ENOUGH with the silly and canned sterotypes about "over the hill" bs. Its a sad cultural myth we subscribe to. Therefore making it true for us.
We need a new and enlightened paradigm to understand this shift into our mid years.

Im in my mid thirties, but i find this material very uplifting, simply because in our society past the age of 16 you are never too young.......we always seem to be grasping to be a few years younger.

She clearly outlines a new way of thinking. In which its indeed blessed to be older and wiser. And life indeed DOES get better...because you are far more clearer.

I read this book in one setting im sure u will too
on April 2, 2008
Marianne Williamson - Audio CD on the Age of Miracles.
My best friend and I just took a road trip to Oregon. We were blessed to have with us this inspirational and empowering book on Audio CD. It was exactly everything we needed to hear - it encouraged us to heal where we have been, embrace where we are now and empower us to act on who/where we always wanted to be. It was profoundly healing. I recall at least four times during the listening of the CD where we both had tears of beauty streaming down our faces. Marianne's vulnerability and sharing simply touches the female listener at the core. Her voice radiates wisdom, elegance, honesty, acceptance and a truly divine connection to god. We were touched by warmth by the entire experience. I have such gratitude for Marianne - she created a gift by putting her wisdom into writing - for all women - young and old - who eventually arrive in the same place. I just ordered the book and CD for all the people I care for. This is a must read/or listen to!
on June 28, 2008
I am familiar with Marianne's popularity as a spiritual teacher and speaker and this is the first of her books that I've read. Here's what I enjoyed. She has an easy flowing writing style, a nice way with words. I sensed the entire book as her personal prayer for a greater embodiment of love by herself and hopefully others. I find this inspiring. However, on the whole, I don't feel that this book lives up to its title. Her contemplation on spiritual maturity seems merely hopeful, and thus shallow. She talks too much story for me and while reading it, I sometimes felt as if I was listening to her daydreaming about the meaning of her life. I didn't sense any real presence in this work. I agree that by and large the baby boomer generation is still fast asleep and waking up now would surely bring more light to play in our world. Yet, I am not confident that this book is a true wake-up call for the midlife reader. It reads more like an interesting coffee house conversation with an intimate friend. Those who enjoy waxing philosophical might like this offering. Sundance Burke, Author Free Spirit: A Guide to Enlightened Being
on March 13, 2008
This book is the best book I've read on 'self' or improving self in my entire life. I was amazed at what I was reading. Marianne Williamson wrote exactly what I have been feeling and thinking for about seven years. I am now 49 years old... and I just am so thankful to read this book. Read it, it has so much to say, and every page is packed with unbelievable information and it is all true, at least for me it is. It's an amazing help for entering this age... "Of Miracles!"