Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Alchemist: A Graphic Novel (an illustrated interpretation of The Alchemist)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 27, 2010
I read The Alchemist earlier this year, and when I saw the news about the Graphic Novel edition, I was excited. I received this version as a gift Christmas morning, and finished it before dinner. It's a nice collectible version, but if you're looking to get more out of the story, or you're only going to read one or the other, go with the original version of The Alchemist. Personally, these two will sit side-by-side on my bookshelf - each has its own place & purpose.
on August 27, 2012
I read Coelho's book before trying this graphic novel. In comparison, I found the graphics distracting; I was less able to imagine the characters while reading as I was forced to look at the artists rendition of their faces, which was different than I had pictured them. The artist is talented, so not for any lack of skill, but it was just too much.

Overall, if you're looking to become acquainted with The Alchemist, I would suggest reading the first book, not the graphic novel.
on April 7, 2015
"When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." The Alchemist is a delightful book about realizing your destiny. I had always heard of Paulo Coelho and I knew that "The Alchemist" was the book of his to read. However, it wasn't until it was gifted to me by my cousin that I actually read it. This is the most inspiring book you will ever read. The protagonist, Santiago, a young shepherd boy, embarks on a journey to fulfill his destiny. His tale starts in the mountains of Spain with a recurring dream of visions of the Great Pyramids of Egypt. At the onset of the tale, the boy is a kind of aimless vagrant who travels the lands with his sheep. He is encouraged by a few wise people to pursue his vision and demonstrate to the boy that this is very well his destiny. And Voila; we are taken on his journey from Spain, to the bustling markets of Northern Algeria and into the perilous deserts of Egypt. Coelho has this intangible way of making you deeply engrossed in this boy's story. This is likely because we see ourselves and our own path to realize our own destinies in the boy. The boy is you. The boy is me. In more ways than not, "The Alchemist" is a kind of self help book. A book where the story/literature exists largely so that the author can present philosophical ideas about how to live. This is something I prefer over a standard Self Help book with a step by step procedure. Instead, we are given a story with characters whom we care about and through this story and through these characters we can extract self help guidance. Many people, like myself, would prefer this over a scientific, step by step methodical approach.

"You will never be able to escape from your heart. So it's better to listen to what it has to say. That way you'll never have fear of an unanticipated blow." I have never been the type to bookmark certain lines or pages in a book because I liked a line or quote. Nothing has ever moved me so much as to require my lazy ass to post it note my book. However, if you look at my copy of "The Alchemist," you'll find about 15 post it notes stuck in there from quotes i loved. The story is just beautiful; whether I had a session of reading it for 5 straight chapters or I only read about a page, every time I closed the book, I felt myself have love and compassion for the world. No other book has had this impact on me.
on August 4, 2011
For worldwide fans of The Alchemist, we now have another format to explore, and I recently had the sheer pleasure of doing just that!

Like many readers of the original novel, I had a favorite part of the story and a favorite character. In my head, not only could I hear music, but tended to see living scenes - like a movie.

So when the author made an announcement that his book was going to be published into graphic novel format, I was excited for the new readers (kids that prefer story telling through images more than text or in addition to text). Curiousity led to wondering how the artist's pictures would paint the scene where Santiago turns himself into the wind, and how my favorite character, Melchizedek, would be portrayed.

Then several months of waiting began. Boy, it's not easy. It doesn't get easier waiting for Paulo's new books. The release date of November 23, 2010 seemed a long, long way off.

But the waiting became fun, an adventure in itself, for many of us. Then, on November 22, my copy arrived!

Well, without spoiling the fun, let's just say that I wasn't disappointed!! Magic on every page, simply brilliant. Actually, I'm thrilled. Can one be more enthusiastic than that?

Happy Birthday to The Alchemist Graphic Novel and Happy Reading to previous fans and new ones! This was a dream come true for Paulo Coelho. And we all get to enjoy it, WOW!

I recently purchased another copy as a gift for my daughter's boyfriend. Overnight he had already read half the way through, and wished he also had a copy of the novel. And was really glad that I had taken a copy of the novel along too. You have a new fan Paulo.
review image
on March 24, 2015
Be aware that "A Graphic Novel" means an artist's rendering in pictures with comic book captured text only. I bought the comic book edition mistakenly, as a gift. I treasure Coelho's book and was embarrassed to open this edition instead. It does not do the original publication its proper honor. Morgan Phenix
on July 27, 2016
The graphics are beautiful. The material and build is great. This is very much true to the original story (This graphic version is obviously abbreviated). Some of the words are mistranslated or hard to understand and the font is quite small in places.
on December 7, 2012
Well, since I had already, many times, read the actual book when I learned there was a graphic novel version I had decided that it'd be cool to see it since I loved the real book so much. Well, I haven't read all of it but I have to say that it really compliments the story; the best part is that when a book is turned into a graphic novel sometimes they ruin the mystery, the letting the reader decide what they look like, etc. part, by creating an illustration of a character or setting that the user/read made so much more beautiful and with the case of this, IMHO, what they did was good because it didn't try too hard and it ended up coming out pretty similar to the book.

The only things, specifically, that made me feel off about the book was some things seemed too modern for the time that I felt like the book was set in, but I guess that could be blamed on my own doing. E.g. The illustrated gun, but that was all I can't think of off the top of my head.

I'd definitely recommend getting this or getting a hold of it from/at a library, but probably only after you've read and liked the actual book. :D
on April 10, 2015
Classic novel. I didn't even know about it until I saw Super Soup Sunday. Oprah Winfrey interviewed Paulo Coelho and it was amazing to say the least! Great read! I'm going to purchase the textbook next.
on December 20, 2014
It's a little unfair of me since I've been reading metaphysical books for a very long time - this one doesn't go anywhere I haven't gone many many times before. The only thing it has going for it, for me, is that it's set in a "Once Upon A Time" story. But millions around the world have loved it so I'm in a small minority.
on October 30, 2014
Not exactly what I was expecting when I ordered the book, I thought it was the typical chapter book because i did not read closely when ordering. It turned out the comic version got the message across just fine in term of getting me through class for group discussions