5.0 out of 5 stars Each version and edition reveals new facets
I came upon this play and Ben Jonson by the back door. I was watching a movie titled "The Honey Pot" with Rex Harrison. His character Cecil Fox after observing this play used the outline for his own purposes. So naturally I have to read the play to see what the movie is mimicking.

Published on January 10, 2012 by bernie

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version appears useless
Published on December 11, 2010 by DCH

5.0 out of 5 stars Each version and edition reveals new facets, January 10, 2012

I have several copies of "Valpone" (the fox) to compare information on Ben. This is a review of the "New Mermaids Series" I have several of their series. They give you all the background information and any annotation needed. They make the information interesting enough that you feel that Ben Jonson is in the room with you. I am sure some people would not want to be in the same room. I was surprised to find that William Shakespeare acted in some of Ben's plays.

The play is well written and has many levels to it. If it did not have so many footnotes I would be in trouble. It reads like an English play yet has parts that would make Stephen King blush.

5.0 out of 5 stars Each version and edition reveals new facets, February 8, 2010
This review is from: Volpone, or the Fox (Paperback)
I came upon this play and Ben Jonson by the back door. I was watching a movie titled "The Honey Pot" with Rex Harrison. His character Cecil Fox after observing this play used the outline for his own purposes. So naturally, I have to read the play to see what the movie is mimicking.

The play is well written and has many levels to it. If it did not have so many footnotes, I would be in trouble. It reads as an English play yet has parts that would make Stephen King blush.

"The Honey Pot" Starring: Rex Harrison, Susan Hayward

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, December 29, 2013
This review is from: Volpone; Or, The Fox (Paperback)
It is quite sad that Jonson is largely ignored (even by academics in English departments). It is true that Shakespeare's plays have more of the divine touch of genius, but Jonson was a master and vessel of literary genius, in his own right. Volpone is a brilliant play, and remains one of my favorites, Shakespeare included.

4.0 out of 5 stars Study and tension., October 6, 2013
I am studying Volpone in English now. The kindle version is very convenient because I don`t have to carry the book. One problem though. The lines are not noted on the right hand side like the book version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Volpone, January 10, 2013
A classic comedy of humours. Dryden has written aptly: "Shakespeare was the Homer, or father of our dramatic poets; Jonson was the Virgil, the pattern of elaborate writing"

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read., September 11, 2014
I loved this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version appears useless, December 11, 2010
DCH "dchofabq" (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Alchemist and Other Plays: Volpone, or The Fox; Epicene, or The Silent Woman; The Alchemist; Bartholomew Fair (Oxford World's Classics) (Paperback)
The paper versions of Oxford World Classics are excellent. They have excellent notes which appear at the end of the book that are keyed to line numbers in the text. The line numbers have been stripped from the Kindle version! This doesn't really matter because the Kindle has no significant hyperlinking. From what I can tell the Kindle screen is excellent but the software is primitive and only good for reading something without any references or footnotes. Amazon has a way to go before I'll buy a Kindle. Does anyone at Oxford know what Amazon has done to their publication? Run away Oxford! Kindle is winning you no friends!

1.0 out of 5 stars Hated This, February 1, 2014
Read Jonson's The Alchemist for class and just absolutely hated it. A contemporary of Shakespeare, Jonson's reputation is well established. My professor loves this play, so I admit that some people think this work is brilliant. I found the nonsense kept me out, rather than drew me in. The plot structure was funny in places, but not enough to make me want to read this work ever again. I also watched the play (twice) and found it equally awful.