Published on January 6, 2008 by Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Man

1.0 out of 5 stars Falls short of "Classic" atkins books
Published on April 8, 2008 by John

5.0 out of 5 stars An Updated Atkins Diet Book That Even Dr. Atkins Would Be Proud Of, January 6, 2008
What's with a brand new "Atkins" book being published years after the famous low-carb diet doctor has deceased? Well, it's not by the late great Dr. Robert C. Atkins, but you could say he was the one who inspired it and may have indeed written it himself had he lived a few more years. It's called The All-New Atkins Advantage featuring the writing and research of Ironman competitor and orthopedic surgeon Dr. Stuart Trager as well as Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. spokeswoman Colette Heimowitz.

I'm gonna admit I was quite skeptical of this book when I first heard about it. I mean, come on! Do we REALLY need another book to tell us how to do the Atkins diet? Well, yes and no. As someone who lost 180 pounds after reading and implementing the principles found in Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution back in 2004, I couldn't imagine what this "new Atkins" book would tell me to improve upon what I previously learned. But I try to keep an open and am always willing to learn.

This new Atkins is very focused on giving people a specific 12-week plan for success, including tips about how to implement the diet into your life with menu plans and advice about how to become a success. One of the ways that is done is by providing a myriad of low-carb plans to choose from based on YOUR specific needs.

When I was losing weight on Atkins, my carbohydrates needed to stay around 35g a day in order for me to keep losing weight. Some people need less than that while others can get away with more carbs. Since we're all different, The All-New Atkins Advantage tries to accommodate and customize this plan to your specifications based on your body. They don't really tell you which one to follow, so I suppose you start at 20g and work your way up. How is this different from the Atkins diet I did?

Well, there is one major difference about this book that was not given as much space in any of the previous Atkins books. Dr. Trager uses his fitness experience and provides pictorial demonstrations of various exercises you should be doing as part of your healthy low-carb lifestyle. This is indeed a sorely needed addition to the Atkins plan that I'm happy to see.

Answers to the most common questions and criticisms of livin' la vida low-carb are also included in this book which was inspired by all the positive developments that have been happening in the research world since the passing of Dr. Atkins. It makes you wonder if he would have written a similar book had he stuck around a few more years. Who knows?

Regardless, you'll enjoy this book immensely if you are new to the Atkins lifestyle or if you are seeking to learn more about low-carbohydrate dieting. Don't miss the comprehensive list of low-carb studies in the back of the book to see all of the amazing science that has been flooding health research journals in recent years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, accurate, and easy-to-follow, March 7, 2008
The low-carb diet has been evolving over the last 10-15 years as the nutritional power and availability of vegetables have increased. I can't understand a dieter like Delores Haze today. I've been on low-carb for 7 years and have almost never had a "hunk o' meat and veg" for dinner. Tonight I had a delicious stir-fry with broccoli, red and white onions, snow peas, grated carrots, large, vine-ripened tomato slices, cut-up chicken sausage and diced fresh chicken from my last evening's dinner. I cook this slowly in extra-virgin olive oil and a splash of canola oil. Absolutely no seasoning is needed. I made a lot and it's a good thing. Both my younger kids had friends over and they had seconds and thirds. "We never get food like this at home" was a typical comment. Interestingly, nobody even noticed that the meal was very low in net carbs. So, my suggestion to Delores is to put a bit of effort into your dieting and you'll be amazed at how much delicious variety you can eat.

I do agree with Delores (and others) who experience headaches a few days into the diet. However, she is incorrect to say that using addiction terminology is wrong. It is, in fact, right on. Just watch very heavy people gorging on ice cream, candy, cake, cookies, and Grape-Nuts (yes, they have a huge amount of sugar disguised as barley malt). Why do they do it? They really need to, physically and mentally. That's addiction. Like all addicts, when they gorge on their addictive substance (that first drink of alcohol, the first bite of ice cream, that big bowl of Grape-Nuts, etc.) they feel great. But we all now what happens down the line. So, get through the headaches (mine came on after three days and did not fully disappear until about ten days). That was seven years ago and I don't remember ever having another headache. I do remember effortlessly losing 65 pounds (it's still all off), controlling my blood pressure without medication, and dropping my frighteningly high fasting triglycerides (over 400) to 89. Oh and my cholesterol did nothing. It was at 155 when I started and it has been at 155 (plus or minus 10) the whole time. With my HDL at 60+, I'm not worried.

Bottom line: If you are creative and determined, the low-carb diet is a very easy one to follow and this book, with all its delicious recipes, sensible advice on exercise, and an excellent overall discussion of why low-carb works is a great place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, what an improvement over the old atkins..., February 1, 2008
I just spent several hours reading this "all new" atkins program and I am truly impressed. The book emphasizes all the healthy reasons to do this program and holds your hand for 12 weeks. It has continual motivational tips and ideas to prevent back sliding and to achieve a long term healthy weight and lifestyle. As for a recent post who gave it 2 stars because of "bad" vegetable oils encouraged...hmmm I'm confused... when did olive oil, flax seed oil and avocado in moderation become harmful and bad? I don't think so. I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Most beneficial diet ever!, July 14, 2009
This review is from: The All-New Atkins Advantage: The 12-Week Low-Carb Program to Lose Weight, Achieve Peak Fitness and Health, and Maximize Your Willpower to Reach Life Goals (Hardcover)
I'm about a month into this plan and have already lost 14#'s. I can really live on this way of eating. I stayed away from Atkins for so long because of negative publicity but what I found out was that people were judging it by the first two weeks only. Once you've passed the critical first phase, you slowly add back in, most of your favorite foods anyway. And you can tweak things like coleslaw to make them carb friendly. This is a great way to eat. I eat fruit, cottage cheese, nuts, and even steak. Best plan I've ever done. I loved this book so much I bought one for my dad!

1.0 out of 5 stars Falls short of "Classic" atkins books, April 8, 2008
John (New York City, NY) - See all my reviews
Previous Atkins books went much more into detail the science behind how the low carb diet works. this one just gives a brief overview. The rest of the book is simply recipies and stretching excercies. The Akins books of old were much more informative. I have read all of the diet books written by Dr. Atkins and suggest to anyone interested in his diet to read one of the books he actually wrote. The 2002 edition will surfice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, May 25, 2010
Thomas Clair "MrTrips" (Pryor, OK United States) - See all my reviews
I thought the book was excellent, as it went into details about the diet plan and how things have changed. What is really nice is the list of foods that you can chose from depending on what level of Carb intake you are going for!

5.0 out of 5 stars Atkins Advantage, March 3, 2013
The New Atkins Advantage is not like the old Atkins. For anyone considering a weight loss program, I highly recommend getting this book, reading it from cover to cover and then embarking on a new life.

Easy to read, easy to understand, easy to implement with hand holding all the way.

A must addition for anyone that has a self help library.
Jaqui Robbins

5.0 out of 5 stars Atkins Advantage - on losing weight and living a full life!, July 24, 2011
How can we ever thank Dr Atkins enough for breaking the ice and turning the tide on the horrible disaster of the low fat/high carb pushed on us that led to the epidemic of obesity, heart issues and diabetes in the US? Low carb IS the way we are meant to eat. It's that simple - want to avoid death from diabetes, heart attack, stroke, stay off all the horrible medications pushed by big pharma? Eat low carb - nothing else to do or buy! However, it will be nice to see companies that push the refined starches go under as more and more of us wise up, thin down and regain our health eating low carb! Put down the sugar and eat some meat! You're SUPPOSED TO!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Source of Information, July 14, 2010
I have spent several weeks on the Atkin's diet and was looking for a nicely rounded source of information not only on the nutrition of the program. This book is very helpful with the fitness area of the program. I keep it on my coffee table as an easy source to help keep me reaching to my goal. I would recommend it to anyone interested in the Atkin's program. The All-New Atkins Advantage: The 12-Week Low-Carb Program to Lose Weight, Achieve Peak Fitness and Health, and Maximize Your Willpower to Reach Life Goals (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY HELPFUL INFORMATION ON ATKINS, February 24, 2010
My husband started the Atkins diet online. This book is such a BIG help for me and him.
We got our copy in short order with no problems. Thank you for the speedy service.

Kimmi