Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$9.99

on August 5, 2014
I will never understand the hatred this movie has accumulated, not because there are FAR worse superhero films out there, but because The Amazing Spider-man 2 is an honest-to-God outstanding exploration of the themes of abandonment and hope that has fantastic character arcs, stunning action sequences, and a great narrative that's surprisingly complex in its structure.

In this sequel to the also-underappreciated "The Amazing Spider-man," Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone return as Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy, respectively, and, once again, their chemistry lights up every scene with joy, honesty, and love (it doesn't hurt that they were actually dating in real life). Peter is having difficulties adjusting to his life of happiness with Gwen as his girlfriend given that he had promised to honor her dying father, Captain George Stacy (played by Dennis Leary), and his last request to keep her out of his life for fear that she would suffer the violence Peter attracts as Spider-man. Though Gwen believes that it's only her and Peter's decision to be together, Peter is conflicted morally and ethically about continuing their relationship, despite completely loving her. Already, the movie gives us a complex emotional core that isn't going to be simply solved with a bad-guy/good-guy fist fight (it's that complexity which I think most detractors of the film don't like).

Alongside the main (no pun intended) thread of the film, Harry Osborn (played outstandingly by Dane Dehaan), Peter's buddy from his childhood returns to New York to run his recently deceased father's business, despite his hatred for the company and for his father's strict, cold upbringing. Harry is dying of a rare genetic disease that will eventually kill him like it did his father and needs Spider-man's blood (for reasons that are well-explained in the film) to save him. This also brings in a fresh set of moral/ethical complications for Peter since the last time he had given someone the key to his genetics, he helped create a monster that terrorized the city. There's also the sub-plot of Peter's Aunt May (Sally Fields) who is struggling both with the finances of their living situation (that Peter tries to help with) and her fear that Peter's dedication to find out more about his parents means that she will be left behind.

Peter's narrative arc runs parallel with Harry's desperate search and Max Dillons' (Jamie Foxx) turn from rabid fanboy into supervillain. Mentally unstable and tragically pathetic, Max is a firm believer in the good of Spider-man ever since he was personally saved by the hero, giving him a delusion that he and Spidey are best friends. Due to an accident, Max is turned into a electricity-laden superpowered individual who views Spidey's attempts to stop him as a betrayal for his own personal glory (though this is a far more complicated matter in the film than how I'm explaining it). ALL of those story threads together AND Paul Giamatti delivering a fun, chewing-the-scenery performance as the Russian mobster Alexsi who actually becomes the important narrative bookends for the story that I won't go into here out of spoilers.

There are some elements that feel a little off, like the overly-villainous Dr. Kafka, the rather quick ending to Peter's search for his parents, and the underutilization of Felicity Jones as Felicia Hardy, but all of the choices (even the ones that don't entirely "click") are done for the sake of telling the story and character development. I had been unfortunately spoiled on a "big scene" in the film that's an emotional roller-coaster, but the film is so expertly written that, watching it, I felt as though I were experiencing it as freshly as someone who had never seen the film before.

This film (moreso than any other superhero film or Spidey movie) portrays Spider-man as the common man's hero. A guy not only willing to foil a robbery or save people from a car crash, but intrigued and happy to talk with the people on the street. The filmmakers show that it's more than his responsibility to protect the citizens of New York - it's his joy. It's also important to note that with the evolution of the series, the character of Peter Parker has become more confident and thoughtful without losing any of the charming every-man quality in the previous film. With more confidence growing up as a man, we also get a Spider-man who FINALLY nails the dramatic/comedic balance that the hero has been synonymous with over the years. Andrew Garfield performs Peter Parker with boundless charisma, enthusiasm, and effortless humor that, if not THE defining iteration of the character, is one of the best realized adaptations of the character in the history of the Spider-man franchise.

As clichéd and tired as this sounds, "The Amazing Spider-man 2" lives up to the adjective in its title by being emotional, complex, thrilling, mature, and thought-provoking in a way that we don't see in superhero films, all while showcasing the need for true optimism and hope even in the face of overwhelming despair.

To Marc Webb, the crew and cast of the film, the studio execs who took a risk on this material, and everyone who helped get this movie done and into theaters, I say, "Thank you." You've given me the Spider-man film that reminded me why Peter Parker is one of my favorite characters of all time, and why Spider-man is my favorite superhero.
4949 comments|261 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2016
Not the worst Spider Man movie. It's definitely got problems but if you just sit back and watch, the action is there, the characters are there, the story... well... it seems to stretch on. An improvement over Spider Man 3 but not as good as the first Andrew Garfield Spider Man. Emma Stone is a treasure as always as Gwen Stacey.
on December 24, 2014
After trashing the first of the Spider-Man reboot, I planned on dumping this franchise altogether. After seeing numerous trailers and the additions to the cast, I was convinced to give it a shot.

This sequel is much better than the first film, it seemed more together and it was very entertaining. I also loved that Peter Parker spent more time in the Spider-Man suit stopping evil. While it was very cool to see actors like Jamie Foxx and Paul Giamanti in comic character roles, it was Dane DeHann that stole the show for me as Harry Osbourne. He nailed the role with all the emotions and his on screen chemistry with Andrew Garfield and Emma stone was wonderful. Yes, there was plenty for fans to riled up about especially what happened to Norman Osbourne. The film ends once again on a cliff hanger, but it leaves you with a shocker after the final fight scene. After seeing this film I will not deny that I was so excited to see the films to follow. Sony announced that these films would carry on for a few more years and now it looks like they are getting scrapped due to Marvel acquiring the rights once again. Andrew Garfield looks like he is being kicked out and the web slinger will be re-invented again.

I have to say that I am little upset about that because I thought Andrew Garfield was a very good Spider-Man. Now I am kind of glad I never purchased these films on DVD because we have to pretend these don't exist anymore. I will always acknowledge the Sam Raimi films, and thanks to a very strong sequel I will be proud to say that I at least gave this reboot a try. I just hope the third and hopefully final reboot will be good.
on April 8, 2015
Overall I can say this was a well directed movie that didn't have the script to support it. It introduced several villains but jumped all over the place. They tried to tie in so many things without really answering all they introduced. This is a movie that I highly recommend in HD as the NYC scenes shot are absolutely amazing and can't be recreated on a set.

With all this being said it didn't feel like your typical superhero movie with the love story being a key part of it, but for 2 hours and 20 minutes I was thoroughly entertained and would recommend you atleast watch because the next movie whether it be The Sinister Six or Amazing Spider-Man 3 should be great.
on August 31, 2014
I didn't enjoy this movie as much as the first, as some characters felt rushed and underdeveloped, particularly Harry Osborn, almost as if the movie relied on the audience's prior understanding of the characters' relationships from maybe the previous trilogy or just general knowledge. Nonetheless, it was an enjoyable movie with an predictable ending "twist". I can't wait to see where this reboot goes next in regards to Peter's love problems and the villains.
on August 27, 2014
I really wanted to love this movie. Rob & I had been longtime fans of the earlier series, as well as the first "Amazing." The NYC action shots were great & there were a few poignant moments between Peter & his auntie -- a wonderful Sally Field, but overall it fell flat. Andrew Garfield is normally so fantastic, but this wasn't his time to shine. As talented as Emma Stone is, she seemed to be "phoning it in." And the frenemy formerly played by young James Franco was simply creepy & difficult to watch. The ambiguous ending left us hanging; normally, we'd be longing for another sequel, but I feel this franchise should be laid to rest. I imagine our high school & college students would enjoy it, but it's too intense & dark for under-12. I'm glad we didn't spend $20 to see it in a theater, but for a long, hot, summer afternoon, it's o.k. to rent.
on October 14, 2015
I watched this after reading many reviews. The film has some big problems, but the director and actors make it worth watching. Story wise the film is a little too busy and action oriented for it's own good. One big problem is how quickly a key scene for a character which was pretty big in the comic is sped through... It sort of happens, then is spoken about and then over in five minutes. Very rushed.
on October 25, 2014
This review is for the collectors edition not the movie itself. I do not like the fact that the movie discs are located in the head. I would have preferred the discs being in their own case separate from the head so if I chose not to display it I can still have the movies available.(Yes I know I can by a case for the discs.)The lizard statue from the previous collector's edition is also superior to the Head in quality, and being that the movies is in a separate case I can move them around separately.
on September 4, 2014
Electro was the main bad guy in this, but was underdeveloped and glossed over as a character. Not because they introduce two other bad guys (and it really was just intros, not the overwhelming bad guy fest people complain about), but because too much time is spent on other equally underdeveloped plot points. Not sure if the studio got its fingers into this too much or what, but the writing here is awful and there was as much emotion in it as a piece of stale bread. Definitely not like the more unified vision shown in the first of this reboot series, but rather a bucket of mixed ideas slopped out onto the screen. A couple great, some decent, but most pretty bad. Even many of the effects looked so fake they take you right out of the fantasy. Still watchable, though. But mostly just to stay up to speed to know what's going on by the next film...which we hope finds its center.
on September 5, 2014
If you like chick flicks combined with sci-fi superheroes and villain's you'll love this movie. I would say 2/3rd's of this movie, possibly a little more was about Peter and Gwen's relationship and Harry Osborne's and Peter's friendship. The most prolonged action sequence was the last 30 minutes of the movie. The CG was top notch and Spidey's acrobatics was a lot better than the Spiderman movies with Tobey McGuire. There are a few Easter Eggs in this, mainly the last 30 minutes and a mystery man with a black hood over his face.