4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Textbook
Published on September 16, 2011 by Nikki

3.0 out of 5 stars The American Journey text book
I expected the book to be in a better condition than I received it in. To be more specific, the book was taped up, the book had writing and marks in it but considering my need of the book I went a head and purchased it. I still was able to use the book and it severed my purpose of purchasing it.
Published 5 months ago by Tika

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Textbook, September 16, 2011
This textbook is extremely detailed and comes with the MyHistoryLab information; which has made me an "A" on every exam I have taken! It is well written and extremely clear. As with most history books, it is slightly biased, but it doesn't sugar coat the negative parts of American history the way other books do. I love the practice tests at the end of each chapters as well as the focus topics at the beginning. It helps me know what to concentrate on while reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars For my class, April 7, 2014
Bought this for my class. Is a great book. Came quickly and just as described. And is a great price!

3.0 out of 5 stars The American Journey text book, February 6, 2014
This review is from: The American Journey: A History of the United States, Brief Edition, Volume 1 Reprint (6th Edition) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine as the newer version, and quick shipment, August 24, 2013
It works fine with my history class, which requests newer version book. I'm happy it works fine. And the shipment is fast too.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's pretty good, the online tests suck, August 11, 2013
Aaron (PHILADELPHIA, PA, United States) - See all my reviews
As a book alone I would give it about 4.5 stars. The online tests bring the score down.

I'm currently a social studies secondary ed. student and had to use this book for one of my low level history courses. It was nice to get a good overview of American history because all of the high level courses are very specific (an entire class can be about WWII or the cold war).

I put that I'm a secondary ed. student for a reason. I had a class on testing (assessment and evaluation) and something that really bothered me was the idea that if students get too many questions right then the test is flawed. The online tests definitely follow this paradigm. I know because after you take a test you can check on the answers you got right and wrong and almost all of the ones I had wrong were very vague.

ex. why was the civil war so bloody compared to previous wars? I found in the book were it said because of the mix of newly industrialized weaponry and repeating old battlefield tactics; both of those answers were available, but not together so I was left guessing and got it wrong.

I still got an A in the course, but that's not really the point. Students shouldn't have to guess at all on a test.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, May 11, 2013
I love American history so I was very into this book. I thought it covered material well and offered references and articles that were interesting. I kept it instead of selling it back and added it to my collection.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my choice!, November 12, 2012
I have nothing good to say about this textbook, but it is what was required for my history class. Defiantly wouldn't have it for fireside reading. Nice to have it downloaded but I wish I could have my money back!

Used & New from: $3.00