Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon September 2, 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My nine-year-old and I have been following this series since its start and the only thing we don't like is the wait between books.

The illustrations are fantastic. With each book, Kibuishi adds stunning visual elements. In book one, it was simply the introduction to this new world. Then in the second he added walking house and new animal-based characters. In this book he opens a whole new aerial world filled with airships, flying beasts and floating structures. The pictures just keep drawing you through the book, occasionally punctuated with arresting landscape spreads.

The story line is also perfect in several ways. Perhaps the most important is that there isn't anything offensive in the story. I feel perfectly safe handing these books to my kids, and yet the storyline is engaging for adults to enjoy, (even without gore, swearing, or sexual innuendo.) I'm not a prude, but it is nice that I can trust my kids won't come away with another four-letter word in their vocabulary.

The story is well paced with episodes of tension and peril. The story really draws you along page after page in something of a roller coaster ride. However there are a couple deeper levels that continue to haunt the storyline and help keep up a strong sense of suspense. All in all, a great storyline for a graphic novel series.

The Character development is also impressive, and for those who have read the first two books you will appreciate the development of relationships between characters. Especially intriguing is the growing suspicion and tension between the main character Emily and Prince Trellis (a former and perhaps current enemy) as well as a relationship between Emily and the amulet which is somewhat reminiscent of Frodo and the ring from the Lord of the rings.

Seriously, if there was anything I would be critical of in this series, it would be that we can't wait for the next installment. And not to spoil the ending - much like the first book in the series - this one ends in a cliffhanger with many unanswered questions. So we will start our monthly searches for pre-order information for book 4.

I highly recommend this series for anyone with 6 to 12 year olds. We used the first book with our son to help foster a lifelong love of reading and he is continuing to blossom as a reader.
on March 17, 2016
My oldest who is 13 read the first (3) books a while ago and wanted the rest of the series.

He and my twin 9 year olds love this series and are currently reading through them.

I will read the series after they are done and give a proper review.
VINE VOICEon June 27, 2014
In the third installment of the Amulet series, we find our heroes on a quest to find the list city of Cielis. It was the home to the Guardian Council of the Stonekeepers, and thought to have either been destroyed by the elf army, or in hiding. Meanwhile, Trellis, the rogue son of the elf king joins reluctant forces with Emily and her family. They are pursued by the Gabilanthe Assassin, who had been hired by the elf king, who it turns out, may not be the elf king after all, but a malignant entity.

All of this is spectacularly illustrated by author Kazu Kibuishi. The layers of complexity may turn off some, but I think it adds richness and depth to this series.
VINE VOICEon January 21, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Please note that this review is coming from someone who had received an uncorrected proof and as such, I only have access to the version with the unfinished art. Only the first few pages (1-16) were in color while the rest was in black and white. But for me, it was still quite good and I saw enough to say that the art was well done. I'll be honest here, I'm not this graphic novel's target audience, but there is just something about the book that entertained and maybe even made me look for more.

Kazu Kibuishi is a Japanese author and illustrator best known for his work on the comic anthology "Flight" and he has written and drawn the "Amulet" series with a more adolescent reader in mind. "Amulet: The Cloud Searchers" is the third volume of the series (Stone keeper and Stone Keeper's Curse being the first two) and has been published by Scholastic. Kibuishi has written an enthralling tale of magic, curses, heroism and revelations.

Emily, Navin and their group of resistance fighters are on a quest to find the lost city of Cielis, the floating city that supposedly serves safe haven for the last remaining members of the guardian council. This council had governed Alledia in times past and this magical city may be the last key for survival. They manage to convince an eccentric pilot called Enzo to help them find the floating city and to help them avoid the perils of the journey. Meanwhile, Trellis, the son of the evil elf king has become a hunted prince. For his failures in capturing Emily and her band, Trellis and his companion, Luger is being pursued by a powerful hunter called Gabilan who has a way of neutralizing the magic of the stones. Oh, did I mention that Gabilan is also after Emily and her crew? Seems like old foes may need to band together to avoid annihilation....

"The Cloud Searchers" is a graphic novel that has a charm that appeals to young adults. For some reason, I was reminded of manga (Japanese comic) because of the style of the artwork. There is a lot of detail to them, but there is just something that manages to attract my eye in the way Kibuishi draws his panels. There is a lot of action to be had with this third volume, Emily and Trellis are on a perilous journey that takes them face to face with flying creatures, ancient gargantuan animals that are monstrous and yet they appear so docile. This has always been the charm of fantasy graphic novels to me, the fantastic creatures and the magical places that are only limited by the imagination. Kibuishi keeps the tone rather friendly to his intended reader but even for one who has read hundreds (maybe thousands of graphic novels), I found his efforts quite solid and refreshing in the execution.

As for the story, this goes further into the "Amulet" series as new characters are introduced, new alliances are made, and we see Emily start getting more used to becoming a "Stone keeper". She is developing more control and she becoming more comfortable with his new-found power. Emily is a young girl given power and this volume reveals a secret to the enchanted stones, and what's more, there is a huge revelation on the part of Trellis as there seems to be more to him than fans had expected. New characters are introduced as older ones were fleshed out. I enjoyed the way the writing makes the devices transition into continuity very easily. Kibuishi gives his characters a lot of personality, and I have to say I can tell why many could easily be hooked on this book.

For some reason, some parts of the graphic novel reminded me of "Star Wars episode IV". A pilot in a bar and the scene with Emily and Leon the fox as they practice `defense' just screamed Luke and Obi-Wan with the remote, only this time it was with a bottle. There is some devices to ponder about with this volume, as Emily may have unknowingly become more attached to her stone than she had first thought. Gabilan is one hunter with a lot of tools to counter the attacks of a stone keeper; I did think of the bounty hunter in "Return of the JedI" clashing with the "Witch King of Mordor" for some reason once I saw him. "Amulet" is very rich with fantasy elements and so references to other fantasy installments should be expected.

Many would say that "The Cloud Searchers" may be a `transitional phase' as the series prepares for a showdown. It does do one thing right and that is it managed to get my full attention; Kibuishi's writing had enough rhythm to generate momentum and I found that it was really easy for me to get into its story. This is a credit to the writing, he manages to keep fans invested while attracting new readers into the fold. Hey, I am not its intended audience and it is to his credit that I liked it.

Recommended! [3 ½ Out of 5 Stars]
on September 10, 2011
This is the third volume is Kibuishi's amulet series and we return to Emily and Navin, in their continued quest to help defeat the elf king. Leon Redbeard is tasked with guiding them to the guardian council, the lost rulers and most powerful stone keepers in the kingdom. If anyone can help them they can. There's just one problem...their city disappeared long ago and many think it has been destroyed. But the group has to try to find them. Along the way they meet new friends, old so called enemies, and a powerful new foe. Emily must continue to master the amulet in order to help them along their way and to ensure their survival.

Even with the introduction of more characters Kazu creates a world that's easy to inhabit and follow along with (although it does help to reread the previous volumes before picking up this one.) In this book we learn even more about the elf kingdom and some of its darkest secrets. There are only a couple places that I wish we found out more about the characters, like when they land at the fill stations. What's the story between Rico and the owner? Hopefully more of the story will be revealed along the way...it's just one of those nagging little mysteries. The artwork continues to shine and allow you to get deeper and deeper into the world around the characters. Kazu and his team do an amazing job with creating depth in the illustrations and colors.

I continue to highly recommend this series every chance I get and the only downside of the series is having to wait for that next volume to find out what happens to Emily, Navin, and the gang.
on December 5, 2012
This set of books starts off with a bold tragedy that sets up the rest of the characters. Fun and fantastic, Tolkien like with a mash up of Jim Henson muppets. The story is captivating and possibly more important, is the art. Attention to detail, vibrante colours and imaginative creations. You root for the lead charcters, Emily and Navin. Being so young but brave to go after their mother who has been taken by a octopus slash bug monster. The new world they discover will shock and awe them. To find out this place is hidden from the eyes of "our" world and that destruction can come to both. It is reveled to the kids by their great grandpa Silas, who sets them on this important mission. Character delvopment is huge in this book series.The friends that go with Emily and Navin you will cheer for. Miskit the rabbit, Cogsley the jerk robot and Leon the fox, bounty hunter.All important for Emily and Navin to complete their quest. I hope that book five is not the last of this book collection.
on November 7, 2014
Got these books for my almost 7 year old 2nd grade son. He LOVES them! I cannot tell you how much he loves them. He went from: "Reading is boring, I hate it!" To:"Mom, I'm already done, buy the next book quick!!"
on July 12, 2013
I enjoyed both the artwork and story in this the third book of the Amulet series. While it is marketed as a young adult book it is certainly not written in a way that an adult can not enjoy it as well. As always if you are a fan of Kazu's artwork you won't be disappointed. At this point I'm eagerly waiting for the release of the next book in the series.
on March 19, 2014
So great to see children excited about reading. I bought this for my daughter. She came home from the school library raving over book 1 and said she couldn't wait to finish dinner so she could go read more. A few days later she was depressed because there was a wait list for book 2. I made a deal with her that I would buy her book 2 if she did something for me. She did such a good job I bought her book 2 that same week. She finished it so quickly and couldn't stop talking about it that I decided to see if there were more books in the series. I found out there were 5 with a 6th one in the works! Right then I decided to buy the other books. I didn't realize how difficult it would be to find them all but it was worth the effort! I ended up ordering the entire series including Book 1. Even though she had already read it she wanted to take her time and re-read it. WOW that says it all! Worth every penny. She loved all of them!! It had her from the first word of Book 1 to the end of Book 5. Waiting for Book 6 to be released. I highly recommend this series.
on January 18, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Cloud Searchers is the third book in the Amulet series. It's important to read the first two before this one. They are both excellent.

The high level of writing and high quality art continue as in the first two books. I really like the pacing that Kibuishi sets in this story. The books really don't take that long to read because there is so much of the story told visually through the art rather than through text. This isn't just a novel with illustrations, the story really is told via both mediums. And what a story it has proven to be so far.

This series has moved things forward with each book and The Cloud Searchers does so again, giving us new insights into characters, further glimpses of the world and digs deeper into the plot. It's so much fun, I read through them all quickly and am going back to take my time and soak in the details of the gorgeous artwork. There are some nice desktop images that can be downloaded at Kibuishi's web site for the book, they are that nice.

Really this book only has one minor issue and that is I'm just dieing to find out what happens next. I just started this series recently and have totally loved it, but now that I've caught up it is rough to have to wait for the next book to come out.

As I mentioned in my review for the others, these are AR books. So if your kids are in that program, like mine are, then they can get points for reading these. That's a nice plus. My oldest is 11 and she doesn't think these are the "best" though she does enjoy them. My 8 year old son on the other hand thinks they are great. I haven't seen him get this excited about a book since he got one set in the Star Wars universe.

Great reading with real depth to the story told in a uniquely visual fashion.