5.0 out of 5 stars Hello Old Friend!
Published on August 25, 2001 by BearMaster

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage Re-Print
I am an avid collector of controversial books both for their historical and entertainment value. Don't waste your money on The Anarchist Cookbooks sold here on Amazon. While the picture(s) may show an original one, these are actually re-prints from 2002 and a lot of the original content has been removed or edited. I am very disappointed in the misleading sales tactic.
Published on November 3, 2010 by Brutus Maximus

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage Re-Print, November 3, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Hello Old Friend!, August 25, 2001
BearMaster "bearmaster" (Tucson, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Anarchist Cookbook (Paperback)
My first exposure to this counter-culture classic was in the most unexpected of settings, my college ROTC classroom. The book written in protest of the Viet-Nam War was being used by a Green Beret veterain of that same war to train us who might be leading troops in, yes, that same war. The irony speaks for itself. I understand that William Powell no longer agrees with what he wrote as a young man, and symphathise with the plight of an artist who has lost control of his work. However, I am glad (and somewhat suprised) that this is still available. Not only is it an important sociological piece of the period, but it is filled with information that could be useful if (god forbid) things ever hit the fan. That same ROTC instructor told me time and again, "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it," so this book gets a space on my shelf just in case. It's the best book I hope you'll never need.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but unsafe, December 12, 2003
Jerald R Lovell (Clinton Township, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Anarchist Cookbook (Paperback)
First published in the turbulent '60's, this book has attained a sort of cult status for that time. It reflects many of the mores and problems of that generation of young people, and is worth it for a read for that, if for no other reason.
So far as bomb-making and all of that, the book is technically good, but the methodology involving use of nitrogen compounds, particularly red, fuming nitric acid and cotton, to make guncotton, is fundamentally ununsound and unsafe. You could blow a hand off or worse very easily, following Powell's directions. I think "The Monkeywrench Gang" and others of its genre are more in tune with today's eco-warrior desires. Also, the book never mentions the superiority of Oxydol and its green beads, as a binding agent for homemade napalm. For shame.
Even with these quibbles, the book is entertaining, and offers a clear glimpse into the mentality of a now-settled generation.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous and not for the reasons you thought, September 28, 2011
This review is from: The Anarchist Cookbook (Paperback)
I first read "The Anarchist's Cookbook" when I was a teen back in the late 70's. I was actually interested in the writing tho not the philosophy and my friends and I made several of the compounds listed in the book. Only one worked and if I remember correctly at least 2 almost killed us while we were preparing them!
I joined the marines soon after high-school and it was during my third year and taking numerous survival classes that I was introduced to the book again. By my Staff Sargent nonetheless! He almost smiled a number of times as he showed our unit the various ways the reader could kill themselves and (often) first responders by simply following the instructions THE AUTHOR wrote! Just about every explosive recipe is wrong one way or the other, usually in the way a particular ingredient is introduced into the mix. Talking about psychodelics, he raves about nutmeg without discussing the extremely thin line between a dose and an overdose! (approx .25 - .30 gram). He also ignores other, more easily obtained and safer alternatives. Now I have heard that later editions started this. Well, if by later editions you mean ones printed in 1975 -1976 then you might be right.
I would avoid this book at all costs. There are MUCH better titles out there which DO have correct information in them such as "The Poor Man's James Bond Vols 1 & 2.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ha Ha What a funny look back at my past, March 4, 2009
M. Spitzer "mas017" (Fort Lauderdale, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Anarchist Cookbook (Paperback)
I used to own a copy of this book back in the 70s and I remembered it as being some dark, secret handbook of recipes and anarchy.

Somewhere over the years I lost my copy and had totally forgotten about it.

But at a recent gun show I saw copies for sale and being at the age where I am starting to get nostalgic for what I consider a "better time" (meaning the 70s and 80s), I picked up a copy to recapture some lost youth I suppose.

Oh my... how 30 years can change ones perception.

This book is interesting to read for its historical snapshot of late 60's drug induced hippy era idealism and anti-establishment rebellion, but otherwise THIS IS PRETTY DARNED FUNNY !!!!

As a degreed Chemist myself, I will say that maybe 30% of the formulas will actually work IF (and I stress IF) you don't kill yourself first because of the inherent dangers and lack of safety instructions. The other 70% of the formulas are pretty much rubbish.

As for the drawings and schematics for booby trap devices they are less detailed and about as useful as the pictures you see Wiley Coyote reading on a Road Runner cartoon.

Finally the forward by Peter Bergmann is so off the mark and now proven wrong by history that it dates the book horribly -- but as I said earlier also makes it a fun "snapshot of late 60s- early 70s" mentality among the youth culture.

It's a cute little relic and piece of "dark literature" from a simpler more innocent time in America --- but for those of you truly seeking to form your own world order, overthrow the government and let Anarchy run wild, you may want to look elsewhere for your motivation and education.

SMILE

I think it is VERY important to note that the original author of the Anarchist Cookbook has reportedly discredited this book publically and expressed his wishes that the book no longer be printed.

His reasons being that he wrote it when he was only a teenager and was expressing outrage and anger at the Vietnam War in the best way he knew how at that young age with so much pain and violence around him.

As with all of us who think we knew everything when we were 17 or 18 years old ------- WISDOM COMES WITH AGE AND EXPERIENCE. Mr. Powell has indicated he no longer supports the ideas expressed in this book and wishes it would dissapear so that hopefully no impressionable minds are influenced by it.

I respect him for that position.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Anarchist Cookbook, May 8, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Anarchist Cookbook (Paperback)
I do believe that the title of the book should be changed to the survivalists handbook. The information contained within the pages of the Anarchist cookbook could not only help save your own life but, the life of others as well. However, There is quite a bit of information that is of a terrorist nature. Nonetheless, this is a book I recommend all to study.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recent History..., July 29, 2004
This review is from: The Anarchist Cookbook (Paperback)
Our World has changed. Although this book's original purpose has been rescinded by the original author, I find it an interesting study. I originally received this book as a Christmas gift over 30 years ago (and, yes... I still have it!)

As a child I found it very thrilling. The thought of being able to "experiment" with some of the topics was exhilarating! As an adult, and recently re-discovering my possesion of this text, I have come to the conclusion that there are some people in this world that will use this text as a guide to inflict pain and destruction. However, I think that the majority of owners/readers will realize that it is an educational text on how easy it is (was) to accomplish some of the topics. Therefore, increasing there understanding and vigilence.

This text is an essay on what could have occurred when it was written. Learn from it. Take the lesson that if these things could have occurred when it was written, what could occur today?

If the worst should come to pass... parts of this text will at least offer a how-to guide to survive and defend oneself...

4.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Book, October 26, 2000
This review is from: The Anarchist Cookbook (Paperback)
The "Anarchist Cookbook" is full of useless but very interesting information. This book gave me tons useless knowledge but, it makes for very interesting conversations. Most of the instructions in this book are extremely hard and dangerous to perform. Some of the instructions are not descriptive enough and leave some questions unanswered. This book is excellent reading for entertainment purposes. And maybe if you have an extremely eventful and adventurous life you might use one thing that you learned. I do not suggest that you try any of the instructions in this book. This book makes fun reading and when placed correctly in you home can make for interesting conversations and maybe some nice rumors.

3.0 out of 5 stars The book is a Period Piece, April 25, 1998
This review is from: The Anarchist Cookbook (Paperback)
The "cookbook" as it was known when it was first published, is in the same genre as A.Hoffman's "Steal this Book" -- what the other reviews fail to realize is that most of the material is harmless (any 1st year mining engineer's text tells much more) and the period is the message: Nixon, the King and Robert Kennedy assassinations, the escalation of bombing in Viet Nam, Cambodia and Laos - the Pentagon papers coupled with G. Gordon Liddy's insane forays into a psychiatrist's office and the abortive Watergate break-in by 3`rd rate Cuban CIA operatives led to the Weather underground and the feeling that the next US revolution would have to happen if Nixon were to attempt a third term. The book is a reaction to much social unrest and the rejection of popular mandate by the legislative, executive and judicial branches.
Never the less, this is not a book for children or parties given to violence. It is a social commentary with fireworks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and phunny!, March 22, 2003
This review is from: The Anarchist Cookbook (Paperback)
This book is great for just general information, and it's also good for a laugh! I only made smoke bombs and other harmless stuff, but I benefitted greatly from the information contained. I recommend this book to anyone who doesn't mind a little swearing and a few violent concepts.

The Anarchist Cookbook
The Anarchist Cookbook by William Powell (Paperback - June 2002)
$29.95 $22.18