Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on November 24, 2004
As a mental health practicioner and specialist in the fields of anger management and family violence, I highly recommend Laura Petraceks's new book. To her credit, the author does not minimize or excuse women's anger, and understands that whether directed inwardly or outwardly, aggressive impulses are highly destructive regardless of the individual's gender. But the author also understands that in some ways women experience anger differently than men. Her sections on anger and depression are insightful, and her discussion of PMS is straighforward and refreshingly un-PC. Overall, the information is presented clearly and directly, and the exercises well-thought-out and practical. It should be a wonderful aid to any woman seriously working on anger issues, whether she is doing so in an invidual, couples or group therapy setting.
0Comment|123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2007
I believe it is vitally important for our society to realize that men and women handle and exhibit anger in very different ways. This book has taught me a lot about feminine anger, and subsequently my own anger. I've found it to work especially well in conjunction with individual therapy. I highly recommend this book to women suffering from depression and/or anxiety, since those are both common masks of feminine anger.
on January 13, 2015
I haven't finished this book yet, but I thought it's worth mentioning that this book seems more geared toward women who harbor anger and resentment but are completely unable to recognize it or express it. While I am not aggressive or physically violent, I wanted a book that would help me find healthier ways to express or deal with anger; not a book that helps me to realize I am angry. I already know I'm angry - that's why I bought the book.
on May 12, 2012
I found this workbook to be wonderfully written and very useful if you are trying to isolate causes for your anger and learn some tools for how to get better control over anger. As with all self-help books, you will get out of it what you are willing to apply in your lives. For those of you who are looking for some insight into how a woman deals with anger, I highly recommend this workbook.
on July 30, 2008
I read the introduction of the book online and thought it might be a good self help book to understand anger. However, the book gave a lot of exercises with abstract questions and no explanations or further readings. I guess unless if the person is already in somekind of anger management workshop or have a therapist to guide her, it is not a useful book at all. It's actually quite a frustrating experience.
on December 9, 2004
I would definitly recommend the "Anger Workbook for Women," Dr. Laura Petracek was excellent in way in dealing with inward and outward anger. Her recommendations and advice, and workbook style pages is a great ways to address you anger and also keep a journal to see your own improvement.This book is a great resource and a great deal!
on October 29, 2006
I bought this book in error, I thought there would be something I could read and learn with maybe a few writing exercises. Either I should have read the description better or else a better description should have been written. Anyway, there is only one or two short paragraphs to read then a whole bunch of questions to answer. Some of the questions I didn't even understand, and there is no explanation afterwards as to what my answers mean. I was very disappointed especially since I am unable to get my money back, having written in it already.
on August 21, 2013
I have used this tool with both men and women, so I would say first and foremost that some of the tools in here are definitely gender neutral. That said, I work in a women's correctional facility and use tools and techniques in this book on a daily basis to assist women inmates in learning better ways to manage their anger. It is refreshing to see chapters dedicated to how women internalize feelings of pain and anger, as well as acknowledging our society's preference for women to stuff their anger rather than express it. It has a variety of self evaluation tools to encourage insight, and I have had several women request their families to purchase this on their behalf. Highly recommended for anyone that works primarily with women.
on February 17, 2016
One of very few books on ANGER for women! I guess women aren't supposed to be angry - --- - just depressed? (Internalized Anger). As a Therapist in a Chemical Dependency/Mental Health Therapist this worked well in my group settings and for those in Out Patient treatment as well.
on December 21, 2007
This has been an excellent help for not just myself, but for clients I have worked with as well as friends I have shared ideas with in how to deal with anger issues.