Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Animated Passion
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: DVD|Change

on September 30, 2005
The Animated Passion is exactly what parents of faith hope and expect it to be: Mel Gibson's Passion, minus the gore, and with greater emphasis on the Resurrection. Ironically, this Passion predates the R-rated one by several years.

We all know the story, so the questions for such a production are: Age appropriateness, tone, and overall quality. Our children are five and three, so we struggled with whether to show this to them or not. The five year old knows that "Jesus died for our sins" and "Lives in my heart." So, we tried. She cried through the saddest parts, but more in the way we adults did with Gibson's version--not out of trauma, but just utter sadness. Originally, we planned to show the Passion portion one night, and the Acension the next. However, for younger children, it is important that they see victory--or at least the Resurrection, after the crucifixion. We did not want them going to bed with Jesus having died and not yet risen! Bottom-line: Unless your child is mature and well-versed in the stories of Jesus, it's probably best to hold off on this one until seven or eight. Also, parents really need to watch this with their children, and be ready to answer questions.

The tone of this animation was balanced and appropriate. There was great sadness. No one category of people (i.e. Jews or Romans) were scapegoated. The story is not sugar-coated simply because it is for children. Yet, there is hope, and Jesus' suffering is mixed with his sense of purpose and determination.

The Animated Passion's quality was quite good as well. While this appears to have been produced by a smallish company, great care and thought went into to the work.

Recommendation: Parents will do well to show this to children seven and above. Five and six year olds might have the maturity and background to appreciate the Animated Passion. Viewers will find a movie of standard quality, but one done with care. There is a sacredness, hopefulness, and yet somberness that permeates the film. This is a definite rent recommendation--and a probable buy, since it is a story Christians want to hear again and again!
on March 5, 2007
I have a four year old son and I was a bit hesitant showing him this movie for obvious reasons, but we had discussed the crucifixion and ressurection with him before. He watched the whole thing and although there were some "slow" parts that he had trouble understanding, when it came to the crucifixion he was deeply moved. He teared up not because he was scared or disturbed but he was moved by seeing this Jesus he had heard so much about being put on the cross. I agree with another person that it was much like what an adult goes through watching the original movie. He has told all of our family about the movie and How Jesus died for us. The depths of such a young childs understanding is remarkable.

I would most definately reccommend discussing this with them for a while before watching it and watching it with them. Every child is different and only you know when this may be appropriate for your child, but it is a well done movie with no gore, but with a beautifully driven point.
on May 13, 2007
This DVD was a well-made portrayal of the last days of Jesus' life, ending with his crucifixion, which is depicted as sensitively as possible, in my opinion. My children appreciated the message of Salvation, and it prompted a positive discussion in our home. This item would be good to share with a Sunday School class. We will watch this movie every Easter season to remind ourselves of Christ's sacrifice for us.
on November 21, 2013
Very touching, very loving, absolutely beautiful. My daughter loves it although she does not quite (yet) understand why Jesus had to die for us. I am sure something we all ask ourselves from time to time. The movie is absolutely wonderfully made.
on June 11, 2015
I got this for my kids to bring them closer to God & understand Christ's sacrifice for us all. The cartoon is good, but the only thing I didn't like is that it kind of skip some key points for me. I think the editing could have been slot better as far as getting the message across but it's still a great conversation starter for up to pre teen, after age 10 or so, this will give more questions than answers.
on May 17, 2011
The quality of the actual characters was a little rough, I expected better. The film in total was very short, about I was actually glad when it came to an end. I guess I expected a disney quality film. There are Scriptures every 3-5 minutes or so and I had to read them outloud for my 3 year old to understand, she kept asking "is it finished?" she assumed they were the ending credits each time. Overall I would not have purchased this film.
on March 21, 2015
The animation was very poorly done and my 9 year old son kept laughing and asking questions completely unrelated to the story like, "What's happened to his face?". I can't blame him either. There were not enough frames drawn in the animation so it was very clunky. Some characters would seem to teleport to a different position while the focus was on them. Also, some characters would become a part of the back round in certain scenes which made them perfectly still the entire scene. I also have to be weary of the verses they used every 5min or so. They would jump from Psalms to Isaiah then to Zachariah! They would even cut part of the verses in the middle with a "..." which makes the story a bit inaccurate.
review image
on August 27, 2008
Interesting and informative. My preschoolers have been able to better understand the details of Jesus' death and resurrection through viewing this two part movie. Good and appropriate for all ages.
on May 15, 2013
Great movie for our youth ministry. They watched along as the adults watched the original movie.
They loved it and had feedback to give regarding its presentation and they were able to explain events.
on December 15, 2012
I have this episode. It is beautifully animated and told. It is based on the Passion of Christ from the New Testament in the Bible. It is not as graphic and violent in detail so you can watch it with your children. (It is no where near as violent as the cartoons lots of children watch these days on TV.) These episodes from Nest are nicely accuarte to the Bible and enjoyable to watch. Im very glad I bought this episode. God Bless!