5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read!
Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE history, especially about Britain, and I spend a great deal of leisurely time reading about Tudor history, hence finding this book.

Published on February 17, 2012 by Suz

1.0 out of 5 stars i would not recommend this book
Published on May 15, 2012 by Sonia Rakel

1.0 out of 5 stars i would not recommend this book, May 15, 2012
This review is from: The Anne Boleyn Collection - The Real Truth about the Tudors (Kindle Edition)
I don't usually review books, but I felt compelled to give a quick review on this book. While it did provide some interesting facts on the Tudors, I do have to agree with the other reviewers that have commented on the lack of original research here. I was further disappointed by the amount of opinions given by the author and how poorly written the book was. However, because I was interested in learning more about the Tudors, I kept reading the book until I read the line: "I'm not a medical expert, but when I Googled McLeod Syndrome. . ." This was written to disprove an article (apparently written by a bioarchaeologist) claiming that King Henry VIII may have suffered from McLeod Syndrome. I could never take an author seriously when they are trying to disprove a scientist's theory through a google search.

2.0 out of 5 stars Have to agree with the less positive reviewers here., July 4, 2012
I absolutely love reading about the Tudors. The real ones, not the Showtime version. Unfortunately, this fell rather flat for me. Pancake-style. There is very, very little here that we haven't all heard before. She delves into the stereotypes, the "Fact vs Fiction", "What really happpened"...and all it is is her OPINION on what happened. How can you write a book called "The Real Truth" while it's all basically opinions and conjecture? While she argues some theories fairly well, I have to agree that this book is a long, loooooong way from being able to legitimately classify itself as truth. Just Google Anne Boleyn and don't waste your money.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Anne Boleyn Collection, April 27, 2012
Love the topic and the historical / research context. Fascinating. Be prepared to read a series of blog posts though, rather than a well written complete book.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is a series of blog posts- not the non-fiction book I expected., July 30, 2012
Being a sucker for British culture - especially the Tudor era - I gleefully downloaded this book. Based on the description and title, I expected some degree of historical merit from a fellow anglophile. I expected a properly cited work of non-fiction. This is a series of blog posts - predominately a critical account of Philippa Gregory's "The Other Boleyn Girl." I understand how confusion between fact and fiction by the general public can be frustrating. The "venting" by the author is appropriate for a blog, not for the non-fiction work I anticipated. I applauded research by the author, however, the sources are not properly cited. The book is not written in such a manner as to demonstrate independent thought supported by the research - or the use of research to adequately substantiate another's theory. I fully understand the limited research available on the topic. I further understand that developing new theories on historical topics is difficult at best. However, independent thought and new theories are completely different. I hate to see the author's time, passion, and research wasted on poor execution (or translation to book format). I believe non-fiction should be written in third person. I enjoy Ridgway's website. She has a wonderful blog and a true passion for the subject. However, with her credentials, I did expect a more substantial (scholarly?) read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, September 11, 2012
I was very disappointed by this book. It was not well written and seems to contain opinions of the author much more than actual facts. I would not recommend this book. I am an avid reader and have read a lot on this topic and could not find it in me to complete reading this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not scholarly, somewhat interesting facts, March 28, 2012
I would have given this book a higher rating had it not been marketed as a piece of investigative scholarship. Ms Ridgway is clearly passionate about the subject, but I saw no evidence of original research. Ms Ridgway extrapolated frequently from the research already done by historians and there was not any depth to her original research. However, I think as a book about interesting facts about Anne Boleyn, rather than an academic work, it would have been fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, June 21, 2012
Amazon Customer "Wildrider" (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
Ms. Ridgeway is obviously extremely passionate about her subject. This collection of blog posts is informative, certainly; it is meticulously footnoted with sources, and filled with clearly thought-out and well-presented opinion. The author does go out of her way to state frequently where she is stating opinion and does compare it to opinions of other historians and uses facts where facts are available.

I was troubled with the enormous overuse of exclamation points to drive home her ideas, but kept reminding myself that this was not a single researched historical book, but instead a collection of blog posts, and blog posts are often not held to the same standard.

What also troubled me, and this seriously, was Ms. Ridgeway's apparent and staggering homophobia in her complete inability to accept even the possibility that any of the men involved in the Boleyn scandals/trials may have been gay or bisexual. Is it such a horror to her that she discounts any and all possibility that it may have been? We know men of previous eras were gay just as they are today, only then they were expected to marry and sire children, as well as feared loss of stature and condemnation of the church, so always kept such activities hidden. Yes, we will never know for sure who may have or may have not had same-sex lovers, but a good historian is not going to completely discount the possibility that it could have been, nor so completely condemn the ideas of other historians who are obviously more open-minded (not to mention using language to describe gay sex that is frankly directly out of the Tudor era).

All in all, I did enjoy the read, and found a number of excellent pieces of information I hadn't had before, as well as a great bibliography to continue my own Tudor research.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read!, February 17, 2012

The Anne Boleyn Collection - The Real Truth about the Tudors is a compilation of articles and FACTS that have been researched, dissected, discussed, debated, sensationalized and wrote about for 500 years. The website "The Anne Boleyn Files" has to be the most "refreshing" reference of Tudor history I have seen in a very long time. This book will NOT disappoint if you're interested in facts about the Tudor period.

Claire Ridgeway takes the myths and rumors, dissects each one and keeps researching until she has debunked a so called "fact" we all take as history and still leaves the reader thinking for themselves whether it be true or not. Tis true there are many many instances where a historical fact has left me doubtful, this book has been written in a way where the writer respects the reader's interpretations of what they've read and encourages us to make up our own minds based on facts not contemporary historical fiction.

This book is a must read if you're looking for the truth based on honest-to-goodness research and passion to know the truth. Claire's passion on the Boleyns is contagious! Visit "The Anne Boleyn Files" website and read a few articles, more than likely you'll be hooked!

I enjoyed reading this book and going along on the ride about Tudor England. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in Anne Boleyn and the Tudors. You will soon see how much of herself Claire has put into it after reading it and when you find yourself wanting more just visit the site and keep reading!

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative yet not so much.., January 28, 2013
I was really excited to read this book; as I love history and the story of Henry VIII. However I found this book to be very repetitious. The author would provide information in one chapter and then repeat it again and again throughout the whole book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, June 12, 2012
This book(?) is tabloid 'celeb' journalism desperately trying to sensationalise the activities and characters of some of the less attractive personalities in 16th century England. The title alone...The REAL TRUTH about the Tudors...spells out the book's provenance and ambition. Believe me, "Wolf Hall" it ain't.

Rate and Discover Movies