Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 25, 2014
I attended a four week course on Alice in Wonderland and it was based on this book. I had read Alice in Wonderland as a young child and now, as an adult, I read it again. It was a completely different book due to the annotations in this book that opened up so many different ways and avenues of approach to understanding it!
on June 21, 2010
This is about the font size, NOT the content. Gardner's comments are about a 5 pt. (i.e., smaller than used by newspapers for legal notices). Had I known, I would have gotten the hard back edition.
on May 23, 2016
Having an American read the character of Alice in the story of Alice in Wonderland seemed like a big mistake to me when I set out to listen to Scarlett Johansson read this classic.

I underestimated her skill as a reader and performer, and what a pleasant surprise that was.

The story of Alice in Wonderland isn't a new one. It's been animated and acted and animated again, and released in a  hundred formats. Filled with whimsical characters and a fulfilling plot of a little girl coming into her own (say what you will about Lewis Carroll's hidden agenda in the story) it's a surefire win for both kids, and imaginative adults alike. If you enjoyed this book as a kid, you'll enjoy the version performed by Scarlett.

Scarlett truly offers a transcendent performance in this. While her British accent might not be perfect her ability to bounce between all of the characters in the story and give them unique life is wonderful. I especially enjoyed her performance with the mock turtle and the griffin.

Alice in Wonderland is a short listen at less than three hours, but one that I think anyone will enjoy. I don't recommend speeding the narration. Her voice is well suited for the style of the story and the pace she reads at, and you'll lose some of her nuance if you accelerate the pace.

Lots of fun from a new voice telling an old story.

Audiobook was purchased for review by ABR.

Please find this complete review and many others at my review blog

[If this review helped, please press YES. Thanks!]
on December 26, 1997
If you long to be carried away to a world of nonsense and magic, talking beasts and flowers then Alice is the best tour guide you can employ. This is a book that will find a place close to the heart of a reader of any age that has a place inside reserved for whimsy and childlike wonder. As Alice travels through Wonderland and meets many unexpected characters your imagination will soar. Run a race with a dodo bird. Have tea with the doremouse and his friends the mad hatter and the march hare. Thrill at the "Jabberwocky". Alice proves to be a very level headed young lady indeed as she encounters things that become "curiouser and curiouser!" The story meanders through forests and chessboards that are life size never ceasing to amaze the reader with charm and wit. Lewis Carroll completed a masterpiece of fantasy and social comentary in this classic tale. The book is truly a gift to any one who hopes to hold onto childhoods magic.
on October 5, 2010
Unfortunately, this version is missing all of the illustrations, which are an integral part of the book. And the poetry is not formatted correctly which was set especially (the mouse's tale should look like a tail). Through the Looking Glass [Kindle Edition] by BLTC is the one you want.
on March 1, 2016
Beware readers, there is confusion here in readers' reviews: book and Kindle edition reviews are mixed together. This is the Calla edition of the timeless classic for more than a century of Reverend Dodgson's Alice. There have been countless editions and with illustrations. Folio published the original handwritten manuscript now preserved at the British Museum. Those illustrations are not in color. There is a beautiful very expensive Easton Press edition with Arthur Rackham's color illustrations. As expensive is Folio's upcoming Alice with a modern illustrator. Someone has written that the book uses strange words. The book is a fable; a classic nonsense novel. It is a dream of a young girl. Not any book before or since has captured the juvenile fancies as much. I have many modern and old illustrated versions of this book. Yes I am over 70 years old and I can still immerse myself into this. I don't know how, but I did not know about Calla editions until recently. I am overjoyed. These are moderately priced, wonderfully produced books. I, like some of other readers, found Dover paperbacks not only inexpensive but covering books that have long been out of print such as Varney the Vampire; Loveday Brooke, Detective and many others. I am catching up on buying the other Calla editions.
This one is so good: the wrap around illustrations almost evoke illuminated manuscripts.
on March 30, 2000
This is my preferred copy of AAIW, and I have several. The quality of the illustrations is superior, because they were made from recently excavated printing blocks. The result is they reveal greater detail than I had seen before, leaving me more impressed than ever with John Tenniel's talent--as if Lewis Carroll's wasn't enough. A beautiful, beautiful book.
on November 27, 2015
Alice in wonderland is one of my favorite books and character. I got this annotated addition so I could understand Lewis Carroll better and the way he wrote, his meaning and his jokes. Its a great addition to my library. The artwork is so awesome. I can get lost in this book for hours!!!
on November 10, 2001
Now I understand the timeless appeal of Lewis Carroll's classic
"Alice in Wonderland". Of course the story is magic to readers of all ages but for me what is especially magical are the illustrations. Deloss McGraw has turned "Alice" and the world of illustration on its head. Now I understand why this book has just received the New York Society of Illustrators 2001 Gold Medal for Original Art.
on May 17, 2006
The Annotated Alice provides an inside view of Alice in Wonderland through insightful notes. I appreciated them being there, for if they weren't I would have missed a lot of what Lewis Carroll was doing. The book Alice in Wonderland is fascination book about all sorts of things, disguised as a children's book. I found the book quite fascinating, and I recommend it, especially when read in The Annotated Alice