Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on February 4, 2014
About one of the only books I've seen my husband read in oh, the last 25 years? Since Mr. Reed's English class.

He randomly picked it up and couldn't stop reading, couldn't stop smiling, couldn't stop laughing out loud. Then reading it out loud to me. I thought my heart might split for the happiness. Melanie Shankle is one amazingly funny writer!

A book for every married couple, and the best spontaneous date night ever...
on February 4, 2014
Oh my goodness, Melanie has done it again! She has followed her wonderful Sparkly Green Earrings with The Antelope In The Living Room. What a great read about the realities of marriage! This book should probably be required reading for anyone planning a fairy tale wedding! Nothing against those weddings, but as Melanie says, that's the easy part. Melanie shares some hysterical stories of her marriage and draws some great Biblical insight from the situations she and husband Perry have found themselves in. Her voice is real and reading her work is just like talking with a good friend. She is never heavy or overbearing and is always ready to laugh at herself.

I read mostly to be entertained, encouraged or edified.The Antelope In The Living Room did all three. Highly recommend.
on February 5, 2014
This book is laugh out loud funny with spiritual and marital truths sprinkled in! There are a lot of books that get a lot of hype and when you read them you start to wonder what those people were thinking. This is NOT one of those books! I read Melanie's blog every morning and she is genuinely funny! You won't regret buying this!
on November 2, 2014
I found myself often nodding and laughing along to the story. However, the book read more like a series of blog entries (no surprise, since the author is a very successful blogger), and if I hadn't been commited to reading this book for a book club, I probably wouldn't have read the entire book. I'd preferred to read a blog for similar material, a quicker read and for free! That being said, I know many friends loved this book and it truly is a fast, easy and fun read. I just prefer to read books with deeper story lines, I suppose.
on February 8, 2014
I loved Melanie's first book and knew this one would be good - but I think it may be even better - if such a thing is possible. First of all, it is absolutely hilarious, which is wonderful because I always need a good laugh. Second, her humor is just so smart which makes the book great fun to read. Her storytelling and references to pop culture are brilliant. Most importantly, though, this book helps me understand my husband and my marriage. And as we speak, I have my husband sitting on the couch reading his "assigned chapters" so that he, hopefully, will understand me better, too. Melanie hits on all of the trials of marriage with great humor and wisdom. I can't recommend this book enough.
on June 3, 2015
Oh my goodness, I laughed my head off . . . seriously, my husband was asleep next to me, and I had to stifle my giggles several times so that I wouldn't wake him up! I liked Melanie's first book (Sparkly Green Earrings) very much, and I always enjoy her blog, but this book was an absolute delight from beginning to end! I think my favorite part of the book was Melanie's description of her first time buying a Christmas tree with her husband. Another reviewer commented that she felt that you don't get a true sense of who Melanie is and that Melanie glossed over the deeper, more serious parts of herself and her marriage. I can see that to a point; she doesn't tend to get too terribly deep. That's just not her writing style. But despite the fact that this is basically a light-hearted book, I think a young married person could still gain some good perspective. Melanie is a good example of someone who is a constant cheerleader for her husband. Another great thing about her is that she has a grateful heart. It's a very WISE woman who admits that she's not always loveable. When her husband loves her through her unloveable times, she tucks those moments into her heart and pulls them out often. If you can immediately recall the good times during harder times of a marriage, you have learned a very valuable lesson in STAYING married! This book is like having a glass of tea with your best friend and discussing the ups and downs of marriage with a big dose of humor and affection! It would make a great bridal shower gift or a book to pass around during a beach trip or a women's retreat. Her blog is wonderful also (and her new book on friendship is high on my summer reading list)!
VINE VOICEon March 20, 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It appears most of Melanie Shankle's readers are blog followers. For what it's worth, I had not heard of the author before I began reading The Antelope in the Living Room.

Other than excessive parentheses (which got annoying) the book was a good read. I was expecting humor and was surprised by the more serious insights. I’ve been married roughly the same length of time as the author so I didn’t really learn anything, but was able to nod along with many of her general thoughts on marriage. Her personal anecdotes were sometimes amusing, but I didn’t seem to have enough in common to fully appreciate them. If, however, you are into shopping, pop culture and/or manufactured drama, you will likely find this book hilarious.
on February 8, 2014
I have been a big fan of Melanie Shankle's blog for quite some time. It's definitely one of my favorites! Her first book, Sparkly Green Earrings, a book about being a mom, was hilarious! (Also a must read.)

But this book, oh this book. It is beyond funny, and touching, and sweet, and full of marriage wisdom. You will nod and smile and laugh through every single page, while also taking away some gems of having a Christ-centered, prayer filled marriage. (You will also hand the book to your husband several times and ask him to read a page or two or a chapter, thanks Melanie!!!)

One word of caution- do NOT read this around other people. I attempted reading during my lunch break a couple days and ended up having to read sections to my coworkers because I was laughing so hard. The upside? One of them downloaded it then and there on her Kindle and another bought it that night. :)

Please read this book- you won't be sorry!
on July 8, 2015
Hands down one of my favorite reads! If you're married, you need to read this book. You'll be laughing so hard you'll be crying - it's amazing. Oh and if you're married to a hunter, you'll flat-out die from laughing so hard.
on February 8, 2014
Such a sweet reminder of why we embark on the journey of marriage. Wise, witty and hilarious comments on the joys, tears, mundane and everything in between about marriage and life in general. Melanie is the Erma Bombeck of today's generation