Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 26, 2008
I LOVE this book.

I'm particularly impressed with the density of information: too many hobby farm/small farm books take a once-over-lightly approach, but this one is deep on detail. I also appreciate the discussion of seedling trees: typically I've seen them ignored or dismissed as irrelevant. The discussion of root stock is a help too; before this I've seen it only discussed in terms of it's limiting factor on size, but this also introduces issues of hardiness and climate appropriateness. The book is incredibly thorough while reminding the reader that there are no "cook books" to growing organic orchards, it's still an art and science that is being developed.

I spent the first few years of my life on an old-fashioned orchard and have never recovered. Now, after 30 big-city, corporate years the world is circling back to the kind of orchard I've always longed to have, and this book is filled with invaluable information on how to proceed. Next year I'm headed back to the country, this book in hand, to make a home and create a backyard cider orchard. I know it's hard work and the best of it may happen after I'm gone, but this book gives me the courage to begin and information to guide me as I figure it out.

I hope within 5 - 10 years I'll be toasting the author with my own apple cider!
77 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2006
The Apple Grower: A Guide for the Organic Orchardist

by Michael Phillips, 320 pages, 8x10, softcover, 2nd

edition. Whether you consider yourself to be a novice

or an experienced orchardist, if you want to grow

apples organically, this is the book for you. For many

decades apples were high in toxic residues, but

thankfully, that is finally changing. A great deal of

research is underway on lessening the use of synthetic

poisons in the orchard. The results in the past few

years are heartening. Since The Apple Grower first

appeared seven years ago two important products for

the organic orchardist, Surround and Entrust, have

become available. It is now quite possible to grow

very decent apples organically. This revised and

expanded version includes apple growing basics from A

to Z, as well as the latest research and strategies

for successful organic orcharding. A lot of us have

been begging Michael to update his book and we're

thrilled with the result. He has read the studies,

done the interviews, tested the products and found an

effective way a way to organize the information and

communicate it to the rest of us. Even if you already

have the first edition, you still need this

substantial revision.
on July 26, 2006
I think this a very well written, well laid out book that could help you get started in the apple orchard business. The thing that I find most interesting about this book is that you don't need to be dedicated to organic methods to learn an enormous amount from this book. It is full of general information to aid in the whole process of growing apples.
on July 12, 2007
I have only read the first few chapters, (and have browsed ahead), but so far it's great! They really go into detail about how apple trees grow.
It reads a little like a textbook, but not too dry. We have 9 apple trees in Mid-Missouri and are hoping to expand and improve in the future. I think this book will be a big help. If you just have a couple trees in your yard and just want to know how to prevent disease, repel bugs, or what fertilizer to use, this book may be a little more in-depth than what you're looking for. No doubt you would find useful information here, but it may be a little more detail than you needed.
on March 12, 2007
I've heard about this book for several years and it is truly a must read, everything I was led to anticipate. It is loaded with facts and experiential info. It's also fun to read. Don't be intimidated by how much info there is. Just use it and keep going back into it as you get more familiar with Michael's approach. I teach at The Meeting School, a little Quaker farm school in southern NH. I'm definitely using this book with my students from here on in. Happy orcharding.
on January 7, 2013
While the initial chapters are hard going, with a little too much repetition (N.B. Editor), the chapters pick up the pace by midway and the book finishes very strong. Consequently I went from regretting the purchase to very happy that I selected this book and stuck with it.
I think I will continue to value the considerable wisdom in this book. The author provides very comprehensive knowledge about organic and sustainable orchard growing with clear instructions and ideas. A strong editor could improve it even more by structuring it into a more textbook style (IMHO).
on March 23, 2010
This book offers a multitude of do-able, reasonable ways to grow apples organically without going totally nuts. I will be trying several of the ideas this year and hope/plan to outwit the apple maggots and codling moths. Besides being a great one-place source of info, The Apple Grower is beautifully and sensitively written--a nice read along with the suggested procedures.
on July 20, 2008
This is the most comprehensive book I have been able to find on Organic growing of fruit. Get the revised version, it is worth the money. I am in charge of a large community Garden's orchard and this book is a must have for what I do. I have applied the infromation over one season I found in this book and this will be the first year we will have a successful crop. John Cremati
on May 13, 2009
I've been looking for a book with this much info on growing apple trees for a long time. Very thorough and well written. Would highly recommend for anyone looking to plant and care for apple trees whether you choose organic or traditional methods.
on June 30, 2016
“The Apple Grower” is an excellent book, but not one for the casual apple grower. That doesn’t mean that another, simpler book would be better for the casual apple grower. Rather, it appears to me (very much a non-expert) that apple growing isn’t possible to do casually, so “casual apple grower” is a very small group, consisting of those who pick a few apples of varying quality from their trees and let the rest drop. So, if you’re like me, and planning on planting and maintaining ten or twenty apple trees for my family’s own personal use, this book shows you very well how to do that. But it doesn’t make it sound easy.

Phillips pitches primarily to an audience who are small scale organic apple producers for profit. To make a profit, you have to have saleable apples in large quantity, which means fairly large, flavorful, and not damaged (unless you are making cider, a topic Phillips covers, but not in detail). To achieve that with organic methods, rather than with frequent spraying of organophosphate pesticides, requires constant attention and work, all of which Phillips covers very well. But reading “The Apple Grower,” I conclude that someone like me can do a lot less work, and accept a much higher rate of attrition from pests, yet obtain a plentiful supply of apples for eating, cooking and cider. That still means a lot of work, though, if for no other reason than to damp down the amount of insect and other pests attracted by apples. However, I don’t think readers like me should therefore be discouraged from growing apples with a disciplined organic approach, even if it’s not as easy as setting out some plants, relaxing, and harvesting.

Phillips covers siting an orchard in detail, and also discusses briefly other fruit trees in the context of a mixed-fruit orchard. He discusses, throughout the book, how to enrich the soil—his approach, as seems current among organic devotees, is a permaculture approach, viewing the local ecosystem, from fungi to predators, as a coherent whole. So, for example, he discusses at length whether mown grass, unmown grass, or tilled cover crops make the most sense for directly underneath and between trees. Phillips also discusses cultivar selection, noting that ultimately small changes in geography can make different cultivars desirable, and also that what you want out of the apples dictates which cultivars you choose. Occasionally, he assumes the reader will have equipment available that a casual apple grower is unlikely to have, such as a tractor to till—but the small-scale, not-for-profit grower can doubtless figure out how to accomplish necessary tasks without such equipment. Throughout the book Phillips has interesting sidebars, which (unlike in some other books) are not filler, but add detail or color to topics he’s covering. Some of the most interesting of these concern apple advice from earlier times—the early 20th Century or the 19th Century, and how much of that advice is still valid (and was often forgotten in the days when chemical sprays became the norm).

“The Apple Grower” discusses care of trees, from planting to pruning, and spends a lot of time on apple pests and their (organic) control. Phillips is particularly enamored of a new kaolin spray called “Surround”—so much so that it’s either extremely good or he owns stock in the company! Finally, Phillips discusses harvesting and marketing apples. All of this is well written and seems to have the appropriate level of detail. Yes, every so often Phillips gets a bit touchy-feely, with occasional odd mentions of the astral theories of plant life of some guy named Rudolf Steiner. But that probably just proves how close to his subject matter he is, and is a recommendation, not a criticism.