5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful doesn't even cover it
There are some books that come across my plate that strike me as mildly amusing. There are some books I develop a passion for over time. But once in a very great while, one per year if I'm lucky, I will find a book that gives me a powerful shock. An almost electric, instantaneous passion. "The Arrival" by Shaun Tan is the most amazing thing I've had the pleasure to read...
Published on September 30, 2007 by E. R. Bird

3.0 out of 5 stars Different, but good
This is a very interesting novel, to say the least. It is wordless. The only "words" throughout the book are some kind of illegible language. I believe the authors purpose in putting these strange writings in the novel is to allow the reader to experience what it must feel like for immigrants who do not know the native language of the country they have ventured...
Published on May 30, 2012 by Elizabeth

‹ Previous | 112 13 1424 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest picture book ever!, January 28, 2008
This review is from: The Arrival (Hardcover)
This book has the most inspiring and beautful drawings I've seen in a book. The quality of the book and the meaning makes this book a must have for anyone of any age.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good story about emigration, October 28, 2010
This review is from: The Arrival (Hardcover)
A very good story about emigration told exclusively in pictures (there are no words in any recognizable language). Nice artwork, highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellence Has Arrived, December 16, 2007
This review is from: The Arrival (Hardcover)
An amazing work of tireless illustration coiled around an eerily ethereal story of oppression, immigration, and hope. At once familiar and fantastical, as if it is set in a parallel universe where Ellis Island is more like Ellis Planet. This is a brilliant, wordless YA graphic novel which at times has the feel and pacing (like segments of The Invention of Hugo Cabret) of a silent film. Sublime genius!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Graphic Novel Worth Reading, December 14, 2010
This review is from: The Arrival (Hardcover)
This graphic novel was a very interesting read. I took interest in the metaphors that the author used to illuminate the character's story. It also serves in telling a story and adventure for the younger readers. The novel also portrays the different cultures and how people interact with one another, even though they speak different languages. I also took interest in how the author uses weird animals to help explain the story. I felt that this was also an element that served to appeal to younger readers. This is definitely a novel that I would recommend to any reader who is interested in a mixture of fantasy and a story that is based on true events.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, September 13, 2014
This review is from: The Arrival (Hardcover)
The illustrations did not disappoint. The story is not really one created for children, although the extensions beyond reality using children's 'props may make it appear so. There is subtlety and complexity in the development of the theme that go beyond the
level of the average child's ability to perceive. There is nothing simple about either of the books I have by Shaun Tan. This is a four star rating because, while I think it a great piece of art, I do not LOVE it…my particular personal preference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Book, July 15, 2014
This review is from: The Arrival (Hardcover)
It was fun having my 7 year old niece "read" this book to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks, July 15, 2014
Good

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it so, July 14, 2014
This review is from: The Arrival (Hardcover)
This book is so interesting. I like it so much

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully illustrated, July 8, 2014
This review is from: The Arrival (Hardcover)
I love this book that has no words ,but fully shows an immigrant experience to a new world. It is more dated (in that it seems to center more around turn-of-the-century experiences than current immigrant experience), but works well in my classes to introduce the immigrant experience (even to college students).

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 5, 2014
This review is from: The Arrival (Hardcover)
So much is said without using words

‹ Previous | 112 13 1424 | Next ›

The Arrival
The Arrival by Shaun Tan (Hardcover - October 1, 2007)
$19.99 $13.94