5.0 out of 5 stars Advice for those in their fifties and sixties
Published on March 5, 2007 by Shalom Freedman

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Be Shorter
The first chapters are excellent and then it went down hill for me. Less credible or valuable in insight towards the last of the book.
Published on July 24, 2007 by Veronica Nicholson

5.0 out of 5 stars Advice for those in their fifties and sixties, March 5, 2007
This book is according to Sherwin Nuland written primarily for those in their fifties and sixties. Nuland hopes to instruct them on how to wisely age. Physical exercise, maintaining a network of close personal relationships, and being 'creative' ( In the broadest sense of the term) is at the heart of his prescription. Nuland is upbeat about the prospect that we can by focusing on what we are really good at, what gives us real pleasure improve the quality of our lives in Old Age. Nuland gives examples of people who do function remarkably well in advanced old age, such as the legendary surgeon Michael deBakey who was still operating at the age of ninety- seven.

Some of the reviewers of the book I have seen including the outstanding Joseph Epstein have said that Nuland at points is platitudinous, and preachy. They say he at certain points ceases being the sharp, perceptive first - rate observer he was in his earlier award- winning book, "The Way We Die"

But in my understanding Nuland is balanced, humane and realistic throughout this work. For instance, in one interesting section he counters the proposal of a scientist working to eliminate death. Nuland makes a strong argument that the death of the individual serves the well- being of the species, and its survival.

It seems to me to anyone interested in growing old in the best way possible would do well to read this book..

5.0 out of 5 stars An Essential Guide to Living Well In Those Scary Years After 65, May 6, 2007
I just turned 65 and had this book brought to my attention. There are few instruction books to follow at this age. Each change that takes place in your body and your mind is often scary and occasionally misunderstood. Dr. Nuland compassionately decribes a variety of both "Superoldfolks" and normal old folks. He puts their lives into perspective through science and "beliefs". He proposes what the future may bring to the aging process. For this reader, he took much of the fear I have in regard the future and replaced it with hope and direction.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who has reached 65 and doesn't fully understand what to expect will happen to them from now until their passing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Birthday Gift, March 31, 2007
Dr. Nuland has authored an excellent guide to extending ones life. At first glance, I thought this book would offer substantial how to guidance on nutrition, exercise, and other physical life extending practices. I was pleased to discover that Dr. Nuland explores a wide array of discoveries concerned with the social practices that truly make one "alive".

Chief among these life giving/extending practices, are the intrinsic rewards offered to those who, in some way, live for the benefit of others. My heart resonated with the stories of people who by serving others have found purpose and therefore life. This book makes a great birthday gift for anyone who is on or is beginning his or her later life journey. It causes one to reflect on the fascinating adventures that could be in store for those who ponder the possibilities of an extraordinary purpose filled life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical wisdom for aging., March 29, 2007
Dr. Nuland has provided persuasive evidence for his thesis that aging is developmental and not a disease. Therefore, the process is responsive to management by continuing vigorous physical exercise, creative effort, and nurturing of intimate friendships. Extension of a high quality of life, even in the event of serious illness or other limiting medical problems, is possible for those of us who will make the effort. I recommend this book to all readers who are willing to keep an open mind about the possibility of changing, even into great age.

4.0 out of 5 stars How We Live, March 3, 2007
Over a decade ago, Dr. Nuland wrote a brilliant "How We Die" in his attempt to demystify death. Now he is attempting the same goal with aging in his current book. There is the same clinical descriptions of the body along with brief biographies of those aging well. The author could have used a more forceful editor as the writing is occasionally over the top but never dull. Overall, an excellent thought-provoking read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Art of Aging, March 30, 2007
Excellent book! A step above many others of it's ilk. philosophy and ideas rather than just how to. Nuland is a wise man.

4.0 out of 5 stars A slight disappointment, March 29, 2007
D. Boynton (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I had greatly admired Nuland's book "How we die" so when the "Art of Aging" was released I was one of the first to purchase it. The book started out with a dramatic story of a risky encounter that 72 year old Nuland had on a subway and since I am also 72, the author had my full attention. Unfortunately, the book went downhill a bit from that point on. Some sections were very informative but others were much too wordy. I found myself wishing that Nuland's editor had taken on a more assertive role in shortening and in some cases rewriting certain passages. Overall, the book didn't quite meet my high expectations.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Be Shorter, July 24, 2007

1.0 out of 5 stars don't waste your money., March 7, 2008
This book offers no new insights biologically or philosophically for living through the final years of life. It reads like something from Parade magazine. It's not even a 1-star rating, but a zero star is not available. The material presented is trite, banal, hackneyed(I know these terms are essentially synonymous, but I employ them for emphasis.) Look elsewhere for received wisdom regarding living through old age. I am 58 years old and am entering my later years. From all the glowing cover blurbs I anticipated there might be some food for thought within. Just junk food.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot wasted on me, one extra star for Aubrey de Grey portrayal, August 24, 2008
jj2me (Red Bank, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Aging: A Doctor's Prescription for Well-Being (Paperback)
Some good takeaways:
- One of the people highlighted (he seemed to fill chapters with anecdotes of various people) said that if you examine a problem long enough, you'll see your part in it.
- The best written portrayal, in my opinion, of Aubrey de Grey, who mainstream media is treating like a wise man speaking scientific truths. I take exception, though, when the author used the word "genius" once in the portrayal. I go back to what the autistic author Temple Grandin once said in an interview: "highly verbal people are illogical." This describes de Grey, a left-brained egomaniac. (When you feel a person has dazzled you with words but you come away not really knowing what they said, instead of concluding that they're brilliant, remember Grandin's words.)
- Great conclusions in the Aubrey de Grey chapter, that the world may not end from evil intentions, but from good intentions gone awry.

Wasted on me:
- His stories of doctor colleagues and friends, e.g., the narrative about Dr. Michael Debakey. I got absolutely nothing out of these portrayals, they seemed to convey no information about aging, other than giving anecdotes that seemed almost fawning over people who were just following the drives they had in younger years.
- Mrs. Chaterjee's story. I also couldn't comprehend why he wouldn't just meet with her when she was in town. Though maybe it's because I'm not a doctor, nor ever had any job like his--probably a lack understanding of his position. But it threw me, I found myself asking, "What's with all this agonizing and hiding? What kind of person is this author?" At least he was honest about his behavior. I'm open that maybe I missed the whole point of the Chaterjee story, like maybe to present the despair side of aging.

Four stars because he has a good mind, some good thoughts. But overall, I couldn't really recommend this book to a friend. Though I leave open the possibility that others might get more out of it than I did.

The Art of Aging: A Doctor's Prescription for Well-Being
The Art of Aging: A Doctor's Prescription for Well-Being by Sherwin B. Nuland (Paperback - May 6, 2008)
$16.00 $11.55