Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Art of the Chocolatier: From Classic Confections to Sensational Showpieces
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 17, 2011
I rank this excellent book as equal but different from Greweling's splendid tome on "Chocolate and Confections". The two complement each other very well. The Classic Confections component of this book has many great recipes for truffles, dipped and molded chocolates, with a great deal of special attention given to decoration by using many colored cocoa butter techniques. After learning the basics from Greweling and Schotts (whose splendid little book on "Making Artisan Chocolates" is a necessary addition to any aspiring chocolatier's collection) I was keen on learning more about the magic of coloring chocolates.
While the Greweling book is more focused on the science and theory, this one adds greatly to one's repertoire by broadening the range of flavors and decoration experimentation.
I found the showpiece component interesting, and imagine it would be a fantastic primer for someone interested in entering chocolate competitions.
The text is clear, well organized with superb pictures.
The three books mentioned above are totally sufficient as a good chocolate library. I found the Recchiutti "Chocolate Obsession" and Pierre Herme books to be far less useful.
on March 31, 2011
This is a beautiful book that provides lots of inspiration. The recipes go from basic to complicated, starting with simple chocolates formed in molds, progressing to truffles, then culminating in show-stopping architectural creations that look less like chocolate and more like small-scale sculptures. There are lots of pictures and fairly detailed instructions for each project.

I can only give 4 stars, though, because I found the book oddly lacking in the information that would be useful for beginners who are just starting to make their own chocolates. The book lists and explains all the tools that a chocolatier uses, for example, but I would have appreciated some information identifying the "starter" tools that a beginner really needs to have. (E.g.: You DO need candy molds. You DON'T need a guitar cutter. You DO need a spatula. You DON'T need a marble slab.) The book also provides very little information about the fundamental ingredient, chocolate (or more specifically, couverture). There is a paragraph explaining what couverture is, and telling you to use it, but there is precious little information about how different formulations and different percentages/ratios of cocoa butter and cocoa solids affect the finished product. With well over 700,000 Google hits for the word "couverture," moreover, a list of recommended suppliers or brands would have been useful.

I've enjoyed the book and have started making my own chocolates, which have turned out pretty well, but just a couple more pages in the first two chapters (before the book dives into the recipes) would have been very useful.
33 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2012
This book is really all you need if you love to work with chocolate. A simple guide to putting these wonderful chocolates together. This is a must for a chocolate lover and for working with chocolates.
on July 11, 2012
Once again Chef. Notter did a exceptional work , pictures and recipes are easy to follow. Information is very interesting and right ti the point. I try the receives and my final product was just like the one in the book, great ideas!
on December 19, 2015
One would think that a 40.00+ book about the art of a chocolatier would include at least one recipe for creating chocolate... the base for all the recipes in the book, and couverture chocolate to be exact. But i was wrong. There were two paragraphs which stated what couverture is [and i already know that] but not how to make it. So i found this book to be rather pointless for my intent.
on April 16, 2011
Ewald Notter is a master chocolaiter & outstanding teacher. Both areas of expertise are evident in this book. Careful & thorough instruction, beau tiful & creative ideas, and years of experience are in this book. One of the best, if not the best book in this genre I have seen. Expect a lot of Swiss influenced pralines, but that's a good thing.
on August 25, 2015
I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. My main point of comparison is Greweling's "Chocolates and Confections" book. Mind you, they aren't exactly the same, as Notter's book only covers chocolate and not confections, but I'm going to compare Notter's book to Greweling's chocolate section. When I was first looking for a chocolate book, I bought Greweling's book. But I was unsatisfied and found that Notter's book was the one I was looking for as someone who's worked briefly in the pastry arts.

Notter's book is more concise, and in a good way (at least to me!). Greweling is very detailed and a little too textbook like. I preferred Notter because he was able to get to the practical point without taking up 5 pages. In some cases, the technical details can help you troubleshoot, but I think that Notter still provides the meat and bones to let you do this.

As for technique, I find that Notter wins hands down. He has extremely useful tips that I haven't read anywhere else--tips for working cleanly, common problems, etc. There are also much more detailed instructions and guidelines to using cocoa butter and making other decorations than in Notter's book.

Finally, the recipes. For whatever reason, I just plain didn't find many of the recipes in Greweling's book very appealing. There were maybe one or two recipes that I wanted to try. On the other hand, there were several in Notter's book that I immediately bookmarked. I guess it's just my taste profile. I tried a few of Greweling's recipes and found them just so-so.

The chocolate showpiece section is also very useful and well laid-out though it wasn't really a reason I bought the book.
on January 11, 2016
CHOCOLATE! I mean come on people, its chocolate, get on board! I own MANY dessert books, and several on chocolate. This is by far the best chocolate book I own. Notter simply knows this medium like few others. I would love to attend the school as well, maybe one day.

If you want to learn about chocolate, how to use it, and make some awesome stuff with it, this is the book you need!
on June 29, 2013
If you want to know about chocolate, this is the book. Not only is it a physically beautiful book that you open with awe, it's also one of the best books on the subject. From the history of chocolate to the making of chocolate sculptures, this large book has it all. It is well-organized with beautiful photographs, recipes, and instructions. Even if you don't make chocolates, it's a book to keep on your coffee table for all to browse. Mine, however, is going to be well-used! Now, to figure out how to keep the chocolate stains off of it.
on May 10, 2014
This was purchased for a gift and will be used by myself as much. I didn't realize there was so much to learn about this trade and skill.....no wonder these little jewels of chocolate are so expensive. I love the book, although it will take much longer to learn and read more. The pics are wonderful as well.....helpful. CJS