4.0 out of 5 stars Excelllent Primer
I have been drinking premium coffee/espresso for about 20 years and roasting myself for about 3 years. I thought this book was a very terse, to the point primer on coffee. Easy reading and short with great advice about coffee sourcing and roasting basics. Even though I have a little experience with coffee, I still learned quite a bit from this book.

I am...
Published on January 26, 2012 by Rick

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really best reading
Published on August 13, 2012 by rogermorse

4.0 out of 5 stars Excelllent Primer, January 26, 2012
This review is from: The Art and Craft of Coffee: An Enthusiast's Guide to Selecting, Roasting, and Brewing Exquisite Coffee (Paperback)

I am taking 1 star off for the following reasons.

1. In the Kindle edition the pictures are not synced properly with the captions. A caption will show up after you have flipped 3 pages past the pictures.
2. In the roasting section he described espresso roast as being beyond Vienna. I have many friends that roast and neither I nor they roast their espresso that dark. I am in contact with about 10 home roasters, none of them ever roast beyond Vienna and usually target Full City + since that is the easiest to benchmark. I usually do Full City myself for a LeLit PL53 grinder with a Simonelli Nouva HX machine, depends on the beans I might go a little darker. Later on in the "espresso" section he says that better espresso can be achieved with a lighter roast. Maybe the editing is not so good.
3. He attempted to make the case that roasting yourself can be more expensive. This may be dated information or his bean source is very expensive. I generally pay about 6.50 to $7 including shipping per pound, sometimes a pay up to $15 a pound but very rarely. Premium at the supermarket runs at about 1.10/ounce or $16.60 a pound. Even with 10% loss after roasting I'm still almost half the cost. My worst roasts are generally better than super market premium coffees (which are generally stale and charred anyway ) and my typical roasts are better than most local roasters where I live.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you even remotely enjoy coffee.., August 4, 2010
This book is a welcome addition to your bookshelf (or, hey, it's a great start to a bookshelf!). Mr. Sinnott's knowledge drips through the pages, but never takes the audience for granted. Nothing is "dumbed down" for readers, but nothing is too complicated for those with the, pardon the expression, "layman's knowledge" of the beverage. The recipes are a welcome addition, as well, as they are not complicated and allow those willing to put in a little work the opportunity to save a lot of money on fancy coffee drinks.

I liked how this was not just a coffee history, coffee selection or roasting guide, recipe book, or brewing explanation guide, but everything nicely wrapped into one. The further reading references in the back add a personal touch from the coffee-man himself.

This book is short and sweet, yet not devoid of the narrative subtlety and richness of knowledge. Almost sounds like a shot of espresso.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really best reading, August 13, 2012
The book contains information, but is totally addressed IMHO, to beginners or people that don't know anything about coffee. I bought the book to see if I could find some advice on home roasting, and big information about beans varieties and farming. There is some in the book,but totally not enough for me. It goes then to explaining the different brew processes...i personally know well and use all of them so that part was really not interesting for me. The end of the book concentrates on recipes. I wouldn't recommend this book to advanced coffee lovers. There is little personal knowledge in the book, the rest can be easily found with Google in 5 seconds. Kind of wasted money on this, the book is for those who don't know the coffee at all, or almost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to advance my beginner skills, August 2, 2012
This book provides a great overview of coffee in general. For advanced folks, it probably adds little value but for a beginner like me looking to advance my skills, it was well worth the dollars. I was tired of my Keurig coffee and wanted to make better a cup of coffee myself. This book covers the entire process from types of beans, origins, roasted, unroasted to brewing techniques, grinding, etc. There are so many nuances to making coffee that you don't realize it until you read more about the subject. I often refer back to this book for brewing techniques.

I definitely feel like it has improved my skills and would recommend this for anyone looking to move beyond k cups or generic ground coffee.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but with many errors, April 30, 2012
The book's editing is poor as it contains many, many, many typos. Far more than one would expect. The information in general is great though and the pictures are helpful for a beginner to understand coffee. There are some errors of facts in the book for example p.19 Maragogipe section claims Pacamara is mostly grown in Panama (and not El Salvador) but in general 4*

4.0 out of 5 stars A True Brew, June 26, 2014
Kevin Sinnott's "The Art and Craft of Coffee" is an well-organized, practical and enjoyable introduction to the Dark Arts. It includes well-written explanations and step by step instructions for roasting, brewing, etc. High quality photographs provide additional instructional aids and editorial commentary. Definitely recommended for the enthusiast just beginning to get into the subject, but would probably be a little lightweight for the seasoned roaster. Regardless, it's well-formatted and designed, and deserves a spot on the kitchen counter or at the baristas station.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book on coffee, June 26, 2014
This is the most complete and thorough book on coffee I have ever seen. You learn about the industry, the terminology, and how it relates to your own home brewing. I gained much knowledge in many areas, but most importantly I've learned what goes into making a great cup of coffee for myself. Sinnott writes in a clear and understandable manner, while also managing to entertain the reader. The only challenge in reading the book was the urge to stop reading and go make some coffee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Careful study of an intriging subject, June 7, 2014
Since I'm .writing as a newbie I've learned a lot about coffee and how it gets to us. More experienced hands might not consider this book as a help to them. I think this is an encyclopedic treatment of the subject. I learned a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise cup of coffee, September 17, 2010
HM "HM" (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Surprisingly delightful look at everything coffee related. Might have some more in-depth coverage of the world of coffee, but given the size of the book, it is amazingly chock full of things that will inform and delight the reader. Read it with a cup of coffee at your side.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Cup Of Coffee!, May 22, 2012
If you are at all interested in learning more about brewing the best coffee possible, then you should get this book. It would also make a great gift for a coffee enthusiast. I also enjoyed the recipes in How To Make Iced Coffee: Quick, Easy And Delicious Iced Coffee Recipes You're Sure To Love!..These two together make a nice cup of coffee.

$24.99 $16.98