5.0 out of 5 stars Fun read!
Published 21 months ago by Melisa Kehlmann

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Book
I read about this book in a newspaper article talking about how this book has identified certain traits of super-achievers specifically traits like self-evaluation. I was under the impression I was going to read about the underlying traits that are common to super-achievers. After the title has the word "HOW" twice in its title.

What i received had the...
Published 20 months ago by Rootarmo

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Book, February 3, 2013
This review is from: The Art of Doing: How Superachievers Do What They Do and How They Do It So Well (Paperback)

What i received had the sophistication of one of those Yahoo articles that is designed to be light and entertaining and nothing more then junk food for the mind.

The book is broken up into 36 Chapters. Each Chapter is roughly about 7 pages long (you see where this is going ?). The Authors interviewed 36 people across a variety fields. There is an introduction in each chapter, For each person/chapter there is 10 points each point is one paragraph.\Then at the end of each chapter err the 6th and 7th page of the chapter there is first trivia about the person interviewed and thereafter trivia about the deal. Plus a one line takeaway. That is the formula.

So lets take Chapter 35...Author's would like to explain to you in 7 pages "How to Win the Indy 500" the chapter features Helio Castroneves. Of his ten points (paragraphs) some include things like "wait for the right moment to make a move" (point 3)..."Go with your gut" Point 9..and Point 10 "Have Fun".....I am no more prepared to Win an Indy 500 race after reading this chapter then I am if I had read a cereal box. The takeaway for Chapter 35 was "Racing isn't a sport;its a quest" - okay thanks.

Other things you might want to learn "HOW" to do are "How to grow killer Weed" - yep included in a book about superachievers is a person who knows how to grow cannibas extremely well. Other chapters are devoted to things like "How to Find Extraterrestrial Life".."How to get the Funk"..."How to live life on the Road" (because I guess your a super-achiever if your never home).

For the first time ever I am seriously thinking of sending the book back to Amazon and getting a refund. Terrible book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun read!, January 31, 2013
When I first saw this book The Art of Doing, I did not know what to expect. I knew it could not possibly be a "how to" and did not expect it to be. The authors Camille Sweeney and Josh Gosfield found extraordinary people and through interview asked how they achieved their vision. The group of people interviewed were from many different walks of life. Some were musicians, some were athletes and others were life trainers. The one thing they all had in common was drive, determination, passion and hard work.

It was an inspiration and makes me want to put my vision to life whatever that may be. It certainly made me think of all the people in my life that wish they could have invented or discovered something and now I can tell them that all they need is the mega drive and a bit (or tons) of luck. It was a fun read and made me realize that if you want something, you have to go make it happen. Looking forward to the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars "How do you do what you do?", January 29, 2013
Initially, I was eager to read this book because I thought (and think) the concept is brilliant: Obtain and then summarize the responses from a wide variety of "superachievers" to two separate but related questions: "How do you do what you do?" and "How do you do it so well?" As I began to read the book, one in which co-authors Camille Sweeney and Josh Gosfield employ a clever format to organize the responses as well as other information (more about that in a moment), I began to suspect that while editing the material, they had homogenized the responses and that seemed especially true of Yogi Berra's in Chapter 5, "How to Be a Major Leaguer." The tone, syntax, and usage seem so unlike his spoken and written observations but somewhat similar to those in the responses in the first four chapters by Laura Linney, Anna Netrebko, Cesar Millan, and Ken Jennings. Of course, there are significant differences between and among the five in terms of what they do so well: acting on stage and in film, performing in operas, "rehabilitating" dogs with whispers, winning $3.6-million on Jeopardy!, and playing major league baseball.

I contacted the co-authors, expressing my concerns. Here is the reply from Gosfield:

"Every participant gave generously of their time with interviews and follow up interviews up to 3 hours. Because of the length the transcripts were distilled down for clarity and brevity and all the text is in the participants' own words and they have seen and approved their chapters. We had no preconceived notion of what should be written and our only agenda was to ask these superachievers "How do you do what you do?" We thought of this book as a collaboration in which our goal was to capture--to the best of our abilities--the life lessons, strategies and techniques of every person in the book."

Then I re-read the book. Although I still have some concerns about editing, having interviewed more than 200 business thought leaders in recent years, I will take Gosfield at his word. To the best of my knowledge, none of the 37 "superachievers" featured in the book has expressed any complaints.

With regard to the format, Sweeney and Gosfield insert a one-sentence descriptive for each contributor (there are two In Chapter 7) in the Table of Contents. After an especially informative Introduction, they shift their and their reader's attention to Laura Linney and introduce the format: Brief bio with a Takeaway (e.g. Linney: "Trust acting. If you put everything in its place and don't skip steps along the way, the right result will come.") followed by a set of ten key points. In Linney's chapter, appropriately, they offer advice relevant to an acting career. Then Sweeney and Gosfield provide "Facts" about the contributor(s) followed by "Facts" about the given profession.

I have already mentioned five of the superachievers. Others include Martina Navratilova (tennis champion), Alec Baldwin and Robert Carlock (performing and writing comedy on television), Tony Hseih (creating a great company culture, Zappos), Chad Schearer (hunting big game), Philipe Petit ("living on the highwire," literally), Lynsey Addario (Pulitzer-prize winning photographer of "the horrors of war"), and Helio Castroneves (three-time winner of Indianapolis 500). As indicated earlier, a total of 37 contribute.

However different they may be in most respects, these remarkable women and men share much in common: they are exceptionally hard workers; they are determined and on occasion tenacious; they embrace competition but tend to focus on what their own success (however defined) requires rather than on an opponent; they love what they do despite the effort and personal sacrifices required; and have an insatiable curiosity to know how to do what they do even better. As I read about them and their achievements, I was reminded of Jack Dempsey's observation that "champions get up when they can't." What they share in this book suggests that doing well is both an art and a science, and, that achieving greatness is a process, a journey, not an ultimate destination.

5.0 out of 5 stars great life advice, April 2, 2013
I Loved this book. It was full of ideas from really smart and interesting people...things I could make use of in my own life. Each person puts forth ten important and surprising things that led her or him to achieve his goals. There are wonderfully funny and inspiring anecdotes, and it definitely respects the readers intelligence. I keep it by my bed, and re-read favorites I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have it around!, February 22, 2013
I briefly met the co-authors, Sweeney and Gosfield, after wondering into a Chelsea Gallery. What I thought may have been an art opening turned out to be their book signing. I bought a copy. I figured that the crowd seemed interesting and kind of all over the place. Smart choice. I feel that as soon as I started The Art of Doing little things that I read kept popping up. There is a lot to think about whether you are being self-critical or listening to someone else attempting to self motivate or just complain. The variety of characters alone would have been enough. Get into the head of a big game hunter and a dog whisperer. Why not? I took something from both that actually applied to the maintenance of my fish tank. Hoping for a sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, super entertaining!, February 21, 2013
Thought this book was fabulous, a fun read and a nice glimpse into the priorities and mindsets of super achievers. Unlike other reviewers, I did not expect the book to magically make ME into a superachiever....even if the subtitle does say "How Superachievers do what they do and how they do it so well." But it would take more than reading what she says to make me as great a tennis player as Martina Navratilova, of course. All told, very entertaining and who knows, maybe some of these great habits might rub off a little on me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended!, July 18, 2013
Dorie Clark (Somerville, MA) - See all my reviews
This book is both fascinating and compelling! Using the interview structure to really show how Superachievers do what they set out to do, in spite of setbacks and hurdles, is a great idea. There are authentic voices here, engaging stories, not to mention a rich variety of approaches. Highly recommended. An inspiring read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, July 1, 2013
"The Art of Doing" is filled with inspirational stories and advice for anyone who has struggled to find the keys to success. No matter your career or goal in life, this book will energize you to keep going. Each chapter reveals intimate stories about remarkable individuals' trials and achievements. The authors display the same hard work and perseverance as the people they interview in that they have tracked down such amazing individuals. When you are in the mood to laugh, check out Chapter 7 and read Alec Baldwin and Robert Carlock's advice for how to be funny on TV. When you need some motivation, read about how adolescent Jessica Watson sailed around the world [Chapter 31]. Get this book and keep it by your side, for you may need to review a chapter when you decide to open a great restaurant, win the Indy 500 or write a runaway bestseller.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, June 19, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Art of Doing. It is engrossing to learn about all these success stories and the driven people behind them. The book is well written, entertaining and manages to come across very personally. The dialog with the superachievers is captivating and instead of a step by step you get a wonderfully engaging conversation about the ups and downs before someone hit their mark. I have recommended this book to a vast array of friends and family because each new story reminds me of someone else who would enjoy and learn from these examples. The book is the absolute perfect find for a commuter since you can take it chapter by chapter. I can't wait to read the next one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking, March 25, 2013
I really enjoyed this book. Such a great mix of people, backgrounds and insights. It is definitely worth a read.

The Art of Doing: How Superachievers Do What They Do and How They Do It So Well