Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Art and Making of Hotel Transylvania
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

TOP 50 REVIEWERon September 26, 2012
This is a wonderful artbook filled with beautiful concept art. All 160 pages.

When I first saw the movie trailer, I was really tickled by the monsters. Hotel Transylvania has certainly given not just a new life but also new looks to classic horror monsters.

Majority of art are on the characters. The character designs are funny. Monsters that used to be scary now look comical. The fat Mummy, Werewolf in a shirt with short tie and a hydra with six dog heads are among the many monsters living in that resort hotel.

It's amusing looking at the monsters and reading their stories. Each character comes with many cool variations. Kudos to Carter Goodrich, Annette Marnat, Carlos Grangel and other character designers for the wacky monsters.

Much of the production design are of the castle interiors and props. Different areas and rooms are showed, like the library, kitchen, spa and steam rooms, etc. It It's enjoyable looking at the details that went into the furnishings to make this a cozy hotel.

This is one of my favourite artbooks for 2012.

Highly recommended to art and animation fans.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)
on November 12, 2012
As others have said it's a great buy and a great art book. I loved the movie, and as an artist it was great to see some of the behind the scenes art as well as a little bit of the story behind it all.
on May 31, 2013
When I purchase "art of" books, the main thing I'm interested in is character sketches and concept art. I love to see how characters evolve over time and the thought process behind their creation (the sketchier the sketches the better IMO). This book has some nice character studies and break downs so it's a great piece.

Only thing I'd bummed about is more than half the book has nothing but environment art work. That's cool if that's your thing, but I wish there wasn't so much of it and they instead filled pages with more character designs. Overall good book!
on March 3, 2013
Kick Ass book showing the making and character development from start to finish. Beautiful sketches and renderings of the characters and scene settings. Just as good as the movie if not better. A top "Art in the Making" hardcover book that is a must for every fan of animation and art enthusiast.
on October 25, 2012
Dying Breath: 4.5 out of 5
Okay everyone, I need you to close your eyes, take a deep breath and prepare for what you are about to read. Yes that is right, it is not a horror comic book review, but a review of a book based on a horror themed movie. AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey I can read books, as long as they have pictures, and let me tell you, this book has some GORE-Geous visuals. basically what we have here is a breakdown on the art from the movie Hotel Transylvania. Each character in the movie has their own little section that includes some great commentary by Tracey Miller-Zarneke and Genndy Tartakovsky, as well as the designs, story boards and renderings of the cast. I have to say that my favorite part is seeing the whole process and how they went from concept to final design. On a design basis alone, this book is laid out beautifully. I think any fan of the movie would want to have this on their shelf, and I don't mean just the die-hard fans, I mean every fan. I also think that anyone wanting to get a great behind the scenes look at how much time and work go into an animated film would want to read this one. Some great in-depth coverage of how it all went down. Sadly this reviewer has yet to see this movie. You better believe that my interest was piqued when I saw the trailers, but now I am just dying to go see it. This is a fantastic resource that will make everyone say AHHHH!!!!!!
on April 8, 2014
I am very excited with this week’s review. Mostly because it allowed me to spend an extended amount of time drooling over the art and ideas held within The Art and Making of Hotel Transylvania. I make no bones about the fact that I have long been a fan of these types of books and in fact, collect every one that I can get my hands on.

The film depicts a very different Count Dracula. This one has built a holiday hotel in a secluded European castle, in order to spare his monstrous brethren and his own family from the cruel world of the humans. It’s a story with a lot of comedy, social commentary and a good ole tug on the heart strings.

The book functions as a visual repository of art used in the pre visualization and in the production of the film itself. It is intelligently split up into a section for Character design and one for Production design.

In the character design section, the viewer is treated with the final CG models of all the movie’s central and secondary characters, accompanied by pages of early rough sketches and a litany of design iterations. This really takes you along the thought process involved in good character design, and how often concessions need to be made when taking 2D characters and bringing them to life in the 3D world. My personal favourite has to be the zombie doormen. They act as the movie’s slow moving comic relief, without giving too much away.

While I do enjoy character design, it is the production design that is a real standout point in this book for me. The task of fleshing out a hotel contained within a monster centric gothic castle is no small feat. The production pages are rich with design treatments that showcase the range and scope of the design, from large mood paintings to intricately detailed drawings of furniture and fixtures. This attention to detail really adds that solid flooring of believability to the overall look of the film.

Most artists and animation fans are already familiar with the film’s director Genndy Tartakovsky. He brought us cult animation favourites; The Powerpuff Girls. Samurai Jack and Star Wars: Clone Wars. His auteur sensibilities are infused into every piece of art in this book and as a creative force, he really brings out the best in each of these artist’s works.

If you are already a fan of these “Making of” books or animation books in general, then this book is for you. I also think that this is a very accessible entry point for people that want to start their journey collecting books of this type. My last word is that I would suggest that you watch the film first, as you will then have a greater understanding and appreciation for the character in the books…and nobody likes spoiler’s.
on May 2, 2013
I bought this book along with the other "art of" books of HTTYD, Finding Nemo, The Croods and Kung Fu panda 2, and this book was easily my least favourite. A couple of the concept art of Mavis by Annette Marnat were pixelated on the edges, something I didn't expect from an "art of" book.

It's not a bad book, I just didn't find it that impressive. For a chunk of the book being dedicated to character design, I would have liked to see more concept art leading to each of the characters final designs. The only ones that had that were the pages of Mavis and Eunice. At least the cover is nice.
on March 16, 2016
Alot of nice sketches and character designs and background designs that inspired to become what it is now a great film enjoyable for kids. I recommend this for anyone who wants to see the progress of character designs and background process. Overall amazing quality pictures and amazing sketches.
on July 7, 2014
THE BOOCK WAS JUST I WAS WAITING FOR. THANKS A LOT
review image
on December 20, 2012
I went with a 5 because of the in depth insight into the making of the film. Like my other art books covering Avatar: The Last Airbender, Iron Man and Stan Winston Studios, I was nonetheless surprised at the work into the film.