4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive Guide
I am one who has been very outspoken about the more shady SEO practitioners and about the ridiculously overprices "courses" that are heavily promoted on the Internet. SEO has acquired some of the taint of huckster marketing because of that.

Published on November 17, 2009 by Anthony Lawrence

2.0 out of 5 stars Link Building Chapter Saves this Book
Chapter 7 "Creating Link-Worthy Content and Link Marketing" saves this otherwise mediocre book. While this 555-page tome contains lots of information, it lacks few new insights or gems. With four authors, where was the editor?

Score:
2 stars: Overall
5 stars: New information about the importance of link building makes Chapter 7 a must read
1...
Published on January 19, 2011 by Alexander Kine

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive Guide, November 17, 2009
This review is from: The Art of SEO: Mastering Search Engine Optimization (Theory in Practice) (Paperback)

I hope this book helps eliminate some of that. There's no need to pay some self-styled "Internet Guru" hundreds or thousands of dollars for SEO secrets. There are no secrets: every concept, every "trick", every piece of advice is available on the Internet for free. Of course you have to find it all, you have to learn what things are outdated, what advice doesn't work - or you could find 99% here in this book.

Of course it's not for everyone. It assumes some technical knowledge or at least access to someone with that knowledge. As an example, at several points 301 redirects are used as the solution certain SEO issues. Although some minor direction is given about implementing these, you'd need more than is provided here if you were a neophyte - someone using Blogger or [...] isn't going to become proficient with Apache from reading this.

The only small complaint I can make is that sometimes the authors use too many examples, especially for the more basic concepts at the beginning of the book. However, too many is far better than too few, so I won't complain too much. I definitely can't complain that they left anything out: this could serve as a course book for a SEO class.

I'll be recommending this strongly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Cutting-Edge, November 4, 2009
I did enjoy this overview of the SEO field. Granted, even though it has a first printing copyright of October 2009, there are already some outdated links, which only serves to highlight the incredible rate of development that the Internet engenders. This is an excellent introduction to a highly volatile field, and I was very impressed with the depth of subject matter. At the same time, I found the repetition from chapter to chapter of nearly identical text somewhat distracting, which is why I hesitate to give this book a full five stars.

In some ways, this book sets the stage for the next evolution in marketing. Pay-Per-Click does not have the return on investment that Search Engine Optimization can have, and the authors do a very good job of outlining exactly why this is - and while there are many, many different signals which can be manipulated to some extent by a search engine optimizer (optimist?) the authors do an excellent job explaining the many pitfalls that can arise when SEO is done incorrectly. Still, I was somewhat perplexed to note that two tools I rely on most heavily seemed completely overlooked in the text, those being Google Alerts (which provides me with endless supply of keyword-relevant content as it hits the net) and Market Samurai, an astoundingly useful tool in my keyword research process.

2.0 out of 5 stars Link Building Chapter Saves this Book, January 19, 2011

Score:
2 stars: Overall
1 star: The book fails to mention free seo/web developer toolbars from SEObook, SEOmoz and Chris Pederick
1 star: In the midst of citing research from SEO industry cronies, the authors forgot to attribute The Long Tail to Chris Anderson, citing a derivative work instead.
1 star: The book lists accolades from dozens of respected industry leaders and published authors, but the content fails to live up to this hype. Quid pro quo?

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Perfect for the Professional or Quasi-Professional SEO, June 12, 2010
The Art of SEO is exactly what I was hoping it would be... a dense, detailed exploration of the basics and best practices of SEO. As many starting SEOs know, there is lots of free information all over the web about various tactics, but the lack of a single comprehensive source to look something up in makes it occasionally frustrating trying to find the best tactic or to find a simple explanation of an SEO concept. That's why I wanted to buy a nice, thick book on the subject, in hopes that its authors and editors will have organized a comprehensive source to serve as both a learning tool and occasional reference guide, including a little bit of enlightening info about almost everything you can think of in the practice of SEO. This book accomplishes that, giving you advice that can be trusted, so you don't have to take the risk that a piece of info on some forum post is going to give you the right direction.

I bought this one because Rand Fishkin was involved as one of the authors... his video presentations and blog posts on SEOMoz, along with the rest of that site's contributers, already represent the most central and credible source of good SEO info on the web. The book follows suit in presenting clear explanations, and solid tactical advice on hundreds of areas, with just enough detail to help you talk like an expert, without bogging you down in trivia or tech-ese. A complete beginner might want to start with a more introductory text, or just stick to the web for awhile with the free stuff, as this book does presume a certain degree of knowledge. But if you know a little SEO and are web-savvy, this book will become your right-hand SEO guide.

One complaint that must be noted... the book's index is not nearly as complete as it should be - many terms that I just want to jump to and read about are not in the index. There is some amusing irony in the fact that a book about search is... uh... hard to search in. The Table of Contents makes up for this a bit, as it's relatively easy to scan that section and figure out where you need to go, but it would be better to have a more comprehensive index, because this is not a book you'd be likely to read cover to cover...it's more likely to be used again and again as ideas develop and questions arise. Maybe they will take care of that in subsequent editions, which will surely be necessary for a book covering a field that is constantly changing.

The Art of SEO is a thick, small-font reference guide covering everything that a quasi-professional or even current expert would want to have at hand, and the charts, tables, and resources are extensive and helpful. I don't expect the need to buy another book on SEO anytime soon, as this one gives me much to chew on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written and worth reading, August 18, 2010
The majority of the content in this book was useful from my perspective as a copywriter, even already knowing something about SEO. The authors do a good job of writing to the non-technical user as well as developers.

The chapter on keyword research is the most useful information I have read on the subject. It gives you detailed examples on the use of three top keyword research tools, and other helpful ways to do keyword research.

Overall, this is a comprehensive text and reference book that the serious SEO student or professional will want to keep around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book with Two Drawbacks, June 4, 2011
This is a great book for someone who already knows a bit about SEO. I've read the book cover to cover and I highly enjoyed it. Two additions that would have made The Art of SEO five stars in my opinion: A Glossary, and a list of Resources referred to in the body of the book. Often while reading I came across a word or phrase that hadn't yet been defined, with a note saying the concept would be discussed in a later chapter. Well, if I need to know what that word means to understand the sentence, telling me to find it in a later chapter isn't much help. Further, I really like that so many websites and tools (often multiple per page) are referred to as being helpful for this or that, but I wish there was a compendium of resources where I could look up all the websites that are good for whatever I might be interested, instead of trying to find the mention of these tools who knows where in the book later.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, October 26, 2010
I am an SEO beginner. So far I have read "SEO For Dummies" which was good for basics, but out of date. The Art of SEO is pretty easy to read and understand, especially for a beginner. The tips that they give throughout the book will prove to be so useful in any seo/ppc campaign.

I can definitely see myself using this book as reference as I build my first real campaigns. They go into some technical detail that might not be for everyone, which you could probably skip. You may never need it but its good to have as reference in the off chance that you do need. They also discuss some PPC which is great to have as well as it turns out SEO and PPC go hand in hand much of the time.

Overall, the book has been great so far and worth the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE textbook for SEO..., October 25, 2010
This is one monster of a book on SEO. Very technically written, not for the ultra-novice, "just starting out online" reader in my opinion.

But, after reading this, I got the feeling that I received a firm and solid education on the subject in a WIDE variety of areas. Not to mention, I am a fan of books that can be technically written without sounding "ultra-clinical".

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has read a bunch of blogs or other info on SEO (some of which is misinformation), and really wants the foundational education to keep on their bookshelf as a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource!!!!, May 30, 2010
Brian Tucker (Orange County, CA United States) - See all my reviews
As a SEM/SEO Analytics Specialist, this book has been a great resource for me. I'm in a position now, where I use this book, daily for project references. A good friend and technology professional recommended the book to me. As I develop my SEO skill set, I can relax knowing there are great books out there to enhance my career. From my experience, this is few and far between. Keep up the good work!

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive book for anyone who is interested in SEO, April 22, 2012
I really enjoyed this book because it shows you different aspects of web search. The best in the book is that when you read it, you say - "I knew that already!", but funny thing is that you still haven't put this knowledge into practice. After reading this book I have gone through my web page HTML and changed few things. I have also tried to put myself in somebody's else shoes and think what they may think when they look for what I can offer :)

I suggest this book to anyone interested in SEO. Not necessarily to people who want to start they SEO based business. If you want to improve your site you will benefit for sure as well.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Art of SEO: Mastering Search Engine Optimization (Theory in Practice)
The Art of SEO: Mastering Search Engine Optimization (Theory in Practice) by Stephan Spencer (Paperback - October 31, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.78