Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th

on October 22, 1998
The Art and Science of Culinary Preparation is a good book for those individuals seeking sound basic knowledge about cooking skills. The are a lot of drawings to aid in understanding the principles discussed. There are some nice begining recipes as well. This makes a nice addition to anyones library. This book reminds us of the needed fundamentals we use every day in cooking. A very sound value for the money spent. This book is the first book we use at my culinary school, and is used in the tests for certification in the American Culinary Federation tests.
on February 24, 2009
The only problem with this book is the misleading title. If you are a beginning foodservice pro or a prospective pro, you should probably have this book. However, it is hard to see how this book would be of any use to a home cook, even if you are very good at it. It has few recipes, procedures, and lessons that are of immediate, practical application in the kitchen.
The copyright page lists "National Apprenticeship Training Program for Cooks, Registry N-90093, U.S. Department of Labor", not to mention "Kraft Foodservice Inc" and "The Kraft General Foods Foundation" as funding sources.
This book is rather peculiar, covering subjects that are not usually included in standard cooking literature. This is probably what makes it both unique and useful. As such, it has a rather unique position on your professional bookshelf.
One common method of breaking into foodservice is to devote a couple of years of your life as an apprentice, and volunteer your time to working in professional kitchens (yes, you heard me: your paycheck will be zero dollars). In return, the chef will do his/her best to teach you the craft. This book has those intellectual, book knowledge sort of things about food and ingredients that you are suppose to know before walking into a professional kitchen, even as a volunteer or entry level prep cook.
I should also note that the quality of subject coverage is variable (in fact, being able to judge which is which is an excellent test of your culinary knowledge), probably due to first hand experience by what appears to be a single author. I also have a few nits to pik, especially in the early chapters. Overall, the information was useful and reliable.
The formatting could have been, uhh..., a little more professional.
on October 3, 2003
I used this book in my culinary school and found it to be quite good. It has wonderful introductory knowledge in hot food and great recipes. I also used it to study for the American Federation Certification test. I also highly recommend the following which is on amazon.
Study Guide for the National ServSafe Exam: Key Review Questions and Answers with Explanations by Melissa Heilman.
The second book was highly effective in helping me and my class pass the National Servsafe Exam. I give each book five stars.
on July 4, 2012
This is a fantastic book, and is very well written. I have the pleasure of
knowing the author personally and he is very intelligent and formulated the book
very well. As a professional Chef I reccomend this book to anyone who is serious about food.
If food is mearly a hobbie I suggest you pick up one of Alton Browns books.
on March 5, 2016
Item in perfect condition! No marks, clean pages, no visible damage. More than i could ask for considering the item was marked as used and I bought it for like a third of the price. Great purchase
on January 20, 2014
This book is a great read for anyone who is inspiring to become culinary specialist. This book has great key vital information and demonstrations.
on December 2, 2015
Great book and the US Navy uses it to build almost all of their Culinary Test questions! Good beginners Guide to all things culinary!
on April 5, 2013
Great book to have on hand for the professional cook and anyone with serious culinary goals.
Bought a second copy for a friend!
on May 17, 2013
for a used copy, the quality of the book was beyond what I expected. for the price, I feel I got more then my moneys worth