Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Art of War
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 28, 2013
This book contains only Sun Tzu's original thoughts on war and does not have any comentary added about his observations. It does not paraphrase or compare it to business models or any other inspirational theme. I enjoyed the plain information and reading this man's observations and deductions about how to win a war was very interesting and gave me lots of insights into humans and war.

Quite recommended just for the concepts provided.
on June 28, 2012
The Art of War by Sun Tzu is an ancient Chi­nese mil­i­tary trea­tise. The book, a clas­sic within the sci­ence of mil­i­tary stud­ies is only attrib­uted to the high rank­ing gen­eral and was believed to have been com­plies dur­ing the last spring and autumn of the War­ring States period(either 476 BC or 453 BC).

I first heard of The Art of War by Sun Tzu when I was in the mil­i­tary. I heard of the book in pass­ing and read a bit more about it when I got home, but never picked up a copy until sev­eral years later.

The first thing which struck me was how short the book was, but the more I read, the more I real­ized the wis­dom behind the book. The sec­ond, third, forth and more I read this book I stopped for con­tem­pla­tion about what Sun Tzu's words mean to me, how I imple­mented his advice both in the mil­i­tary and out­side of it and the mis­takes I made, how can I learn from them and if I will repreat them again.

But The Art of War is more than just about war. The book is about every strug­gle or con­fronta­tion, whether exter­nal or inter­nal. I can cer­tainly see how the advice applies to ancient war­fare, but when ana­lyzed, the book can apply to pol­i­tics, busi­ness and more.

Sun Tzu under­stood, as any great leader/manager that the lead­ers set the tone and spends much of the book dis­cussing those qual­i­ties. This is true in any orga­ni­za­tion, the sergeants will treat the sol­diers the way the pla­toon leader treats them, who treat the sergeants the way the cap­tains treat them, etc. Mid­dle man­age­ment will treat their employ­ees the way upper man­age­ment treats them - so sim­ple, yet so profound.

How­ever, the part that really struck home, for me, was when Sun Tzu speaks about know­ing your­self and your enemy.

"So it is said that if you know oth­ers and know your­self, you will not be imper­iled in a hun­dred bat­tles; if you do not know oth­ers but know your­self, you win one and lose one; if you do not know oth­ers and do not know your­self, you will be imper­iled in every sin­gle battle."

Pro­found advice from a great gen­eral - one does not go into any com­pe­ti­tion with­out know­ing the oppo­nents. Ath­letes do not step onto the field with­out spend­ing house ana­lyz­ing every avail­able movie show­ing their oppo­nents at play and gen­er­als dis­sect enemy strate­gies to tiny details before form­ing their own.
on December 22, 2011
I expected "the art of war" book, this is not the book, this is the notes added to the book. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew.
on December 27, 2013
This book is a classic, and full of wisdom. If I were you, I'd pay another $3 and get a decent cover and translation--this one had misspellings and incomplete sentences. If you just want the text, you can read this for free online.
on January 19, 2013
I can't tell you how frequently I lost upwards of 100,000 men in battle, that is, until I read this book. I was frequently losing men to fatigue, and simply not controlling my army effectively. After purchasing, my victory rate has increased significantly, and I am a much more trained war general. Very good day-to-day read for prospective buyers who control armies.
on May 23, 2015
Brief, interesting read!
Every politician and business and military leader should give this work consideration.
If I could, I would send a copy to the White House.
I doubt it would be read though.
on November 16, 2015
Great read didn't get first 3x I read but when actually get into to it it makes sense and is awesome must read. Either this paper pack or that hard copy which like a bible has all kinda books written inside and hard copy well over 1000 pages easily huge wanna good read get that one like $60-$80 worth then read paper back explains the art and paper breaks it down like dummies for the art of war I'm disabled long and short term memory y had read. So much. But I retained it finally well most part. But if not into all that reading which I've had over a ur and not even half way done get paper back it maybe 100or so pages. Easy read. Took me an 1-1/2 to read and I don't really read so easy to read over and over so I can remember it. Something everyone needs to read regardless of life job or religion.
on February 22, 2013
This book is OK. Font is large enough and reading is easy. I guess I got spoiled because I had a different version of the book with Samuel B. Griffith, but gave it away a few years back in a "purge" of my shelves. I shouldn't have let that one go: it's a gem. All you get with this one is the bare-bones translation of the script. It is, however, much less expensive. I am glad I read the other book I mentioned with the background material and analysis. The original script is an ancient writing, in Chinese, and a little difficult to understand without some background or comment. I suggest that if you want to understand the meanings of Sun Tzu more fully, buy the other book.
on June 11, 2013
How on earth are all the other people giving this book 5 stars??? Surely they have not opened it, they probably just bought it to leave it on their coffeetable to impress their friends. Well, the cover does look nice, but if you actually OPEN it you'll rapidly see that

1. There is NO forward, author info, translation notes or any other content. Not even an Index.
2. Numerous mispelling and even missing text.
3. Page titles at top are both the name of the book instead of chapter. Very useful. (Sarcasm)

I bought 4 copies in order to give my friends. I will be giving these to Goodwill and buying a different version.
on February 22, 2014
Strategically wonderful! It helps you to uderstand the actual art of planning and executing any type of war (think of it from all of its aspects). I encourage you to purchase this book, it is well worth its price.