Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports STEM

on September 8, 2008
I bought this book on the premise that I would see a couple of good interpretations of the Princess and the Pea fairytale plus other innovative arty book ideas based on popular tales. Instead I got what seems to be an overworked trend : no new illustrative/modern design qualities but loads of overcrowded ephemera collage and vintage bits and pieces.Somehow the concept of storybook and fairytale has shifted to personalised journaling ("Hunter's 10th Birthday")which has the same appeal as being made to sit through someone else's holiday slide night or scrapbooking projects, unless,in this case,you are Hunter's owner.Been there, seen that.These are not children's storybooks or tales. It's a pity that some really great ideas in this book are sacrificed by the
paste/stamping/photo album presentations that are as old and tired as the images used in them. There are some original items in here that do depart from this -Knitting is the passion of Sarah Flocks, Hansel and Gretel.Does everything else have to look worn or vintage or recycled? It's time to move on!
on July 2, 2008
This is a MUST HAVE in your art library! Many well known artists come together to show you there own kick of well known story books. I am a long time follower of Catherine Moore and Sandra Evertson and both have rose to the occasion as expected! This book shows you some simple book making techniques as well as ideas for your own books to make. LOTS of eye candy as well as how to's and ins and outs of book making. I made my first hand made book following the simple instructions and am truely pleased with the results! Next i am going to try my own style doll book! This is a good book to sit and relax and take your time and read and get inspired!!! WELL DONE! Buy this book then go make your own to cherish!
on June 27, 2008
I Love Catherine Moore's stamp and art paper collection, I own them all and I am not even a doll person. She has a fresh look and an incredible imagination. The book met up with the cover. All the artists books in there are fantastic! Catherine and Terry Taylor(author) live up to there expertise they are known for.
This book is a look at many artists and how everyone constructed a childrens fairy tale book. Their lay out, plans,color choice, etc. You get a great glimpse on how they all completed their books.
As Terry says curl up for a nice bed time story, you get that as well as an an important art book that one must have for technique. I found as a quilter this was really good for me on balance, value and colors. You don't often see that in all the "art books" being made. These people are experts at their craft. They are all wonderful. The stories they chose and fantastic display of simple book making looking difficult.
on August 27, 2012
I'd give this 5 stars for a book as a "coffee table" and just awesome text for looking at amazing work by other artists.

I gave it three stars as I thought from the description it would be a bit more of a tutorial, or have at least more of that aspect about it. If you seek a "how to" text on altering books or creating alternative books, this won't provide much in that way.

If you're looking for inspiration and gorgeous artwork, or as a gift for someone who does this work, the book is superb!
on July 28, 2008
The first thing that drew me to this book was the project on the cover. Already having other books by Terry Taylor, and especially loving Artful Paper Dolls: New Ways to Play with a Traditional Form I was curious what projects lay inside this book. Already having mixed media and home book binding experience I didn't find any truely new techniques but there are many pages of inspiration.

The project on the cover, The Queen of Tarts, has already got me thinking, as well as the retelling of Hansel and Gretel. Seeing how the artists worked has helped me give direction to one of my projects.

If you have other books by Terry Taylor this will go nicely with them. Looking for a gift for an artist old or young combine this book with the paper doll book or Altered Art: Techniques for Creating Altered Books, Boxes, Cards & More and let the creative juices flow!
on March 31, 2009
This is a very fun book with great ideas! It is nice to get a sampling of several different artists and how they make their books. I bought this for ideas for a book for my grandchild and am very inspired to get going!
on November 7, 2008
this is such a gorgeous book, especially if you are a lover of mini books.. the ideas are so varied and so inspiring, i loved catherine Moore's version..
on January 9, 2011
I think the book is very good and well written, which is what I have come to expect form this author. I would have liked more examples of actual crafting in the book, but that is honestly just me because crafting is my focus. The directions that were give were clear and good examples were given, also. Excellent delivery time.
on September 11, 2014
Very interesting and precise in giving hints and directions for projects in Altered Books.