5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for releasing your inner artist
This is really helpful for personal growth as well as releasing your inner artist. Every week you pick something to do to nurture and restore your sense of well being and to accumulate ideas and inspiration for creativity.
Published on September 17, 2012 by Sari Palmer

3.0 out of 5 stars For potential artist is wrong profession
Published 7 months ago by Dan Earle

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for releasing your inner artist, September 17, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars The Artist's Way, November 2, 2012
This review is from: The Artist's Way Starter Kit (Paperback)
Excellent quality. I was surprised to receive the journal. I have used it daily. The book is an excellent self-help book for artists and anyone who wants to tap into their inner creativity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Words, words, words, have you heard..., November 22, 2013
This review is from: The Artist's Way Starter Kit (Paperback)
This was a gift from my best friend, that certainly keeps on giving. Years ago, my mom bought me The Artist's Way Creativity Kit, and I loved it, though I had never read the book. I've always been a writer (sometimes journal, sometimes scraps of paper, sometimes just making "lists"), and the need to write by hand has been a part of the journey.

My best friend surprised me with this last year, when I was going through a difficult time in my life, knowing what awaited me between those precious pages - her book, and my own return to journaling.

Julia's book doesn't just tell you to write. The Artist Dates are incredibly important, as are the weekly thoughts and "tasks". It's not just writing, but writing (physically engaging), and creating a new life, with purpose, on purpose. The life you've always wanted, even if you were too young to remember before you forgot. We are all "artists". You don't have to paint, or make stuff... Our LIFE is our ART.

Interestingly enough, I noticed my need to talk went way down, once I started doing Morning pages consistently! Not only that, but I figured out that my need to talk was due to nervousness, anxiety, mental clutter, and not having an outlet. Morning pages helps get the chatter out before I start my day, and what flows from there is the creativity. The problem solving. The lover. The artist.

I also noticed that handwriting (as opposed to typing) made a huge difference, and my writing style reflected how I was feeling. Your handwriting will not betray you, even when your words do. It was easy to see when I began lying to myself, covered up feelings... and when I began to daydream. Thankfully, I no longer judge myself for random thoughts, or things that don't make sense. Nor do I dismiss the whispers of my heart. When I learned to just dump them out onto the pages without judgement or omission (some days were certainly more difficult than others), it was pretty awesome to see just what goes on in there!

The journal wasn't the easiest to work with - being so big and lovely, so I used spiral notebooks before and after I was finished. In the beginning I hesitated to even write in it because it was so clean and pretty and new... and I wanted my journaling to look perfect. It took some time (and plenty of Morning pages) to get past that, and write for the pleasure of writing.

I would suggest that as soon as you have completed the book, to go back to the beginning and start again. Fresh. It's amazing how much changes, and how the book seems to almost be "living", in that it grows as you do. You may feel a deeper understanding with your next read.

Enjoy the journey, and pass it on!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast & Efficient ... thank you, June 16, 2012
sharyn sansoni (BOCA RATON, FL, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Artist's Way Starter Kit (Paperback)
Starter Kit is a great product - review combo offers, you don't want to end up with any duplicates. All of Julia's programs are fabulous...immerse yourself in reflection and awakening.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Notebook Awkward, May 5, 2013
This review is from: The Artist's Way Starter Kit (Paperback)
This book is fantastic but I couldn't use the notebook easily because it doesn't lie flat and it's very thick, so it's difficult to write in. Would be better if it was spiral bound. I put it in recycling and just use a regular spiral notebook. But the price was great for the book alone so I don't really mind. If you can find a better price for the book alone, go for it and just use a regular notebook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Gems and Great Tools., December 20, 2012
This review is from: The Artist's Way Starter Kit (Paperback)
If one has the time and interest to really delve into the creative process and using a guide to unearth and develop their own creativity, this is THE book. I got this for a friend as a gift so I don't know how well the workbook helps. I didn't use the book with a workbook, but from glancing at its pages, it seemed worthwhile.

What I really love about this book is that it does two things: it has great tools for freeing up one's thinking and creativity and discovering the thoughts and beliefs that hold us from creating ANYTHING more freely, and after helping to create room for that spark of inspiration and confidence, the book helps the reader take the next steps of really discovering the essence of their own creativity themselves. Which is truly the only way anyone can grow; by nurturing their talents thru their own confidence and desire to create. It helps the reader be very comfortable to enjoy the creative process for just what it is rather than simply seeking perfection and approval for the final product of that process.

I must admit not having gone thru the whole book from start to finish. I tend to pick it up when I'm stuck and work with particular sections that apply to me at the moment. I suppose it's valuable either way you choose to use it.

3.0 out of 5 stars For potential artist is wrong profession, February 1, 2014
Dan Earle (Yarmouth, NS Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Artist's Way Starter Kit (Paperback)
I read the first part of this book on getting started. It seems to be oriented toward the person who got stuck in one profession while always wishing to be in a more creative artistic one. I am a practicing painter and, while I do have my days, I am not searching for a new place. It is also heavily dependent on writing as the way out to artistic freedom wanting one hour of journal writing a day. Since the author is a writer this makes sense. When I looked at the time expected to do the program I thought to myself - if I just get out my brush and paint that much I will be way ahead of where I am now. It is not that there are no good ideas and practice regimes here.

I think the journal writing part did turn me off as I don't enjoy writing, even free association writing much. But, as a visual artist I can fill the journal book with free association drawings and exploration to much the same end I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal course for an individual or a group looking to reawaken their creative self, June 15, 2013
This review is from: The Artist's Way Starter Kit (Paperback)
This is the third time I've followed Julia Cameron's course, a spiritual pathway to discovering, and/or, recovering our creativity. This book covers all areas in our lives where we use our creative self, not just in art or writing etc. This time I facilitated a small group of ten people and watched them bloom. I know of several people who read this book and followed the course to bring them to a better place in their lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is a Wonderful BOOK, February 20, 2013
This review is from: The Artist's Way Starter Kit (Paperback)
This is a wonderful Healing book that could work for anybody THANKYOU! Please keep it in your inventory its wonderful

5.0 out of 5 stars great deal, January 13, 2013
This review is from: The Artist's Way Starter Kit (Paperback)
I love this book and the set for the same price was a great deal. It would be great if the workbook were spiral bound as it would make it easier to write but it's still good b/c it gives you a sense of what 3 pages Actually is. Highly recommend!

The Artist's Way Starter Kit
The Artist's Way Starter Kit by Julia Cameron (Paperback - December 29, 2011)
$29.95 $21.12