Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 8, 2007
I'm one of those "New Age" types who's read countless self-help and spiritual books, attended many seminars, and absorbed dozens and dozens of CDs, DVDs, audiobooks, and so on. In short, I'm a "seeker". So I feel confident in saying that the informaiton that Abraham has been giving out over the last 20 years is among the very best available in English. Clear, practical, and worldly guidance is founded on the most remarkable esoteric wisdom. Abraham opens my eyes and refreshes my mind like almost no other source.

"The Astonishing Power of Emotions" is a fine entry in the series of Abraham's teachings. A few short chapters up front lay out the "big ideas" that underlie most of their work, and the rest of the book devotes a short, specific section to each of twenty or so of life's most distressing problems. Health issues, weight loss issues, trouble with kids, spouses, friends, business partners; money concerns; loss and grief; job and career difficulties.

The advice is consistent, postive, uplifting and practical. All of the suggestions would be easy and simple for most everyone to follow, and I think apply to a wide range of people. I found value in every section, even those devoted to problems that have never entered my life. I keep reading passages to friends and family--it's one of those books that I'd like to share with everyone I love.

My favorite statement from the book, and one of its core concepts, is "Nothing that you want is upstream." I'm making it my life's motto.
11 comment| 175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2007
In the book, "The Astonishing Power of Emotions," Esther Hicks and Jerry Hicks illustrates the life-changing teachings of Abraham - the wise and visionary group of nonphysical teachers from outside of our realm--back in 1987.

In their first book, "Ask and It Is Given," they demonstrate how we are the creator of our own experience and that we can deliberately create with our every thought. In their second book, "The Amazing Power of Deliberate Intent," the author emphasizes how we, as human beings can in fact gently guide our thoughts in the general direction of the things that we desire by the art of "allowing." In their third book, "The Law of Attraction," Hicks revisit Abraham's basic teachings to learn how we can attract all that we want by the most powerful law of the Universe.

NOW, in their latest and NEWEST book, "The Astonishing Power of Emotions," Abraham lovingly combines all of the Universal laws and shows us how we can gain conscious awareness of our emotions, so we can use our own feelings to deliberately bring into our life only the things we want. Hicks, in other words, believes that we can use the Laws of the Universe to solve all of our challenges and help us "go with the flow" of our natural Well-Being.

This is an AMAZING book for those who like to discover more about ourselves. I believe you do NOT need to have read the first three of their books in order to enjoy their latest book on the power of emotions. Overall, this is a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED book of the year. A+
0Comment| 170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2007
The Astonishing Power of Emotions is undoubtedly the finest, most compelling, and most extraordinarily powerful book yet produced by Abraham and Esther Hicks. It was released a month ago in Australia, and during that time I have been fortunate enough to have been exposed to its contents now on a daily basis.

For those familiar with Abraham's work, this book is somewhat of a departure from the earlier publications. It represents a glittering synthesis of each of the three Laws of the Universe (The Law of Attraction, The Law of Deliberate Creation, and the Law of Allowing), into a cohesive "system" that may be applied to any emotional or life situation one could possibly encounter. Rather than place an emphasis on "processes", as in the earlier books, Abraham have refined and simplified their message (as if it wasn't simple already!) into a delightful metaphor of "upstream" and "downstream" thinking. They propose that on every subject, there are only two sorts of thoughts a person may engage in: upstream, or "resistant" thoughts, and downstream, or "allowing" thoughts. The degree to which an individual practices either literally determines their reality, as they are exposed to the flowing energy "Stream" of their vibrationally created desires calling them. It is a beautifully simple model that is employed throughout the book to extraordinary effect, as one turns each page increasingly astonished by the implications and promise of such an approach to life.

The first third of the book consists of some of the most heartfelt, compassionate and uplifting teachings yet delivered by Abraham. They explain that, as vibrational beings, we are constantly expanding, constantly generating new ideas and desires that make us more than we were before. As our "Stream" of desire flows faster, we feel the tugging of that in the form of emotion. At this point, we have a choice as to whether to paddle upstream (resist through negativity), or "let go of the oars" and allow ourselves to flow gently to whatever it is that we desire. As Abraham say:

"When you are allowing yourself to float freely in the Stream, without resistance, thus closing the gap between where you are right now and who the broader part of you has become, you feel your alignment in the form of positive emotion. But if you are still paddling upstream, holding yourself against the natural Current of your own evolution, your resistance to the Stream and to that which the larger part of you has become is evidenced in the form of negative emotion."

It's that simple! Paddle against the flow (by perpetually "fighting" to change circumstances), or let go of the oars, float gently, and be guided to everything you desire and are always worthy of.

The last two-thirds of the book consists of varied emotional scenarios in which we are shown exactly how to work ourselves up the emotional scale by adopting the practice of thinking downstream thoughts. In my opinion, this is the most powerful work Abraham has yet produced; there is no repetition, all the scenarios are fresh and new, and everything rings completely true. There are endless gems of wisdom that pepper the text, making this far and away the best "how-to" manual you'll ever read about pretty much everything you could ever consider important.

This book hasn't left my side in the time I've had it. I'm still absorbing its power, and am hugely grateful for it. I'd like to thank both Abraham and Esther Hicks for its manifestation. At a time when the planet would seem to be requiring the upliftment and awakening of as many humans as possible for its own evolutionary wellbeing, along comes a book like this at just the right time. Having read this, I have become aware of a deep inner knowing emerging that confirms Abraham's statement that indeed "All is Well". It is enormously comforting.

I hope that as many people as possible are able to read "The Astonishing Power of Emotions", appreciate its simplicity, improve their lives massively, and recreate their world in the process. Enjoy the ride!
22 comments| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2007
I loved this book. 1/3 of the books explains us being non physical beings and how emotions play a role in our physical lives. The other 2/3 actually gave real life scenarions and how to use the process to feel relief. Though most of the scenarios do not apply to you, but reading them you will feel your energy shift. I highly recommend this book.
0Comment| 165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 13, 2007
I'm not a huge fan of "channeled" information and I'll tell you why; every single one of us is a Divine Channel. Whether we know this or not. Whether we accept this or not. Each one of us has the ability to tap into something greater, something higher, something deeper than we already are. Each one of us has the Power within our hearts, our minds, and our souls to transcend previous limitations and experience an even greater version of "reality". The only reason why most of us don't make that "leap" of faith - and that is exactly what it is, is because we identify more with the "i" of our being more than the "I" that is always and in all ways present and available to us. Call it what you will. Call it God, Spirit, Life...heck, call it Abraham, but people, it's Real and it's as Real as Real can get.

With all that being said, I found myself really resonating with Esther Hicks new book, The Astonishing Power of Feelings. Yes, she does channel a collective entity called "Abraham"...I see you rolling your eyes, but y'know what, it's good stuff. In fact, put the channeling aside and just allow yourself to fully "plunge" into this book.

Anybody who thinks that metaphysics/spirituality is just about "thinking positively" doesn't really know what they're talking about. Positive thinking only goes about as far as the next crisis in your life, which, according to my watch will happen in the next 2-24 hours. No, I'm not being negative...I'm not wishing bad things for you to experience...I just know how human beings operate. If we don't have a crisis in our lives, we'll make one up. Heck, I started early. I made one up as soon as I woke up this morning. But the only reason why it appears that we have more problems than opportunities is only because our focus is not tuned into what Abraham likes to call, "The Infinite Stream of Well-Being".

I like that metaphor. Makes me think of beautiful stream near a meadow. Flowing, flowing, flowing. Allowing nothing to get in its way. Which, is exactly what this stream of well-being does. It is always present. It is always available and yes, even you...yes, you...have tapped into it at one time or another in your life.

Have you ever had a day...or an hour...or even just a moment where it seemed as though everything was in flow? Well, that's because it was. Whether consciously or unconsciously you tapped into your greater "I" Self that I mentioned earlier. You were in alignment with Source Energy and Source Energy couldn't help but bring you wonderful things because that's the way you felt. But, if you were having a day where a black cloud was over your head, if everything you touched turned to poo poo, if no matter what you did or said was absolutely incorrect, then you were out of alignment with the stream of well-being.

Duh.

We can feel good no matter what. Read that again. WE CAN BE HAPPY NO MATTER WHAT. Yeah, your girlfriend may have left you for another woman, your cat may have the clap, and you may feel as though all of life is against you. But you have the power to rise up and transcend the limitations you are at the moment accepting, embracing, and embodying. Trust me, I've been there. I've been at bottom so many times, I thought I had a season pass. I've had life trample over me many times, I've had the wind sucked out of my lungs on numerous occasions, but guess what, I chose to get back up. I don't say these things to tell you how great I am because i am not great...but the "I AM" of me is great just like the "I AM" of you is great.

Read this book...devour this book...become this book...let your feelings be your guide. Yeah, this is a hokey saying that is uttered in every "Feel Good" movie around, but it's the Truth. And don't tell me that this Inner Work is too simple...try it for a month straight without resorting back to old thoughts, old feelings, and old behaviors. Changing our life is simple. It's the keeping it changed where we run into our challenges.

But anyway, people, be happy. Whether you buy this book or not, you always have more reasons to be happy than to be down.

Peace & Blessings,
john
2424 comments| 203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2008
IF this would have been my first ABRAHAM/Hicks book, I would have undoubtedly given it 5 stars instead of just 3. However, that is not the case. I've already read Ask And It Is Given which is a true 5 star performer, The Law of Attraction, and The Amazing Power Of Deliberate Intent. I really didn't discover anything new in this book. IMO, ALL of the ABRAHAM/Hicks books since Ask and It Is Given are merely rehashes of the teachings covered in earlier books. IMO, they have nothing new to say. On the plus side, repetition is a powerful teacher!
33 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2007
This book is another grand slam, hit-it-out-of-the-balllpark, homerun for Abraham, channeled by Esther Hicks. The truth contained in this one book alone could change the world. This is the fourth book I've purchased by Esther and Jerry Hicks and I've not been disappointed, ever. The insights that Abraham so generously shares via Esther are only meant for our betterment...to help us all better understand the world we inhabit and why things happen the way they do. (Abraham is the name given, collectively, to the group of non-physical entities who disseminate valuable spiritual information through the physical channel of Esther Hicks. Sounds crazy, but the more you read about how it all came about, it will stop seeming so odd. I promise.)

This book will provide you with easy-to-learn, easy-to-use techniques that one can put to IMMEDIATE use to improve one's life and one's future. The nuggets of truth contained in this book (as with all of Esther and Jerry Hick's books) are worth their weight in gold. I can't recommend this book highly enough. Read it and begin to change your perspective, your vibration and your life TODAY. Right now. This minute. It's thrilling, really.
on September 5, 2007
This is the fourth book that I have purchased and read a book by Esther and Jerry Hicks, and WOW, this book is the best. After reading the first 3, I understood exactly the message and was trying hard to live my life accordingly, I just needed a little something else, and this was the something that was missing, this book hits the spot with a big bang. I strongly reccommend to read every chapter even if you don't think it applies to you, there is a message to be heard. I am so loving life right now, finally someone has answered the questions that I have been asking for so long, and finally someone has reassured me that what I have been feeling and knowing for so long is the way that I should have been feeling. I could go on and on about this book or these authors but words cannot explain or do any justice about how I feel after fininshing this final book. I finally feel free and am so ready go move downstream...I finally get it and I had it all this time....A must have. I honestly hate putting this book down...It goes to bed with me. Thank you Esther and Jerry Hicks, and most of all Abraham. Thank you
on September 8, 2007
Slip into a warm bath of self recognition. Have the lens of your mind polished to crystal clarity regarding your perception of who-you-really-are. Feel those loose puzzle pieces in your brain click into place as you re-remember your true creative nature. What's astonishing to me is that after so many years of listening to Abraham's words, I received a fresh new, yet broader clarity. As if, focus itself can open and expand to a super precise nuance of further understanding.

This IS a great book. It is as if Esther opened up an extra meadow of poppies in her mind, and received an even fuller and deeper insight. It was perfectly clear before, so I can not put my finger on what is the extra magical quality within this book. I thought perhaps the process of reading it was exercising new thought-to-feeling awareness muscles?
I am so pleased to be part of a time and place where this information is being made available. I am excited for the human race. It is thrilling for me to ponder what the future will bring as a result of these ideas having been disseminated today. Abraham once said, "Future generations will look back on that which you now are as a species and call you Neanderthal by comparison. They will talk of times when humans did not understand emotions..." Well now, everyone can... [understand the power of their emotions] and how to use that knowing in a practical every moment way.

GET this book.
on June 17, 2015
These teachings do seem great and feel great at first, but eventually I found them harmful, not helpful. A word to the wise, if something seems too good to be true: IT IS.

I was thoroughly committed to these teachings for 5 years. It took me on an emotional high. I felt that my life was amazing and felt I knew the secrets of the universe. This is mainly what this book does: tells you all good news and teaches you to manipulate your mood so you feel good about everything and deny anything negative.

That's why it has all the rave reviews. Drugs would get rave reviews too if we didn't know any better ;)

So, does it work? It is a dangerous mix of helpful and harmful information. I know that I felt better and more empowered than ever, which tends to happen when you buy into a philosophy that says you are all-powerful, there is never any reason to feel bad, and you must feel good to get everything you want. Lies can lead to positive change, can they not? The A-H material does promote self-worth, self-efficacy, a better outlook, considering what you want in life, etc.

Some of the results I experienced were genuine shifts because of my more expanded thinking plus being in better touch with myself and believing in myself. But a lot of the results were emotional hype, temporary, ultimately unhelpful, and not based in truth.

There are so many other avenues to an improved life, and I strongly recommend those that are not rife with falsehoods like the ones sprinkled liberally throughout the Abraham-Hicks ideology.

First of all, this information is being channeled from an unknown source. Abers don't care, they are fiercely in love with Abraham and think that they know everything they need to know by listening to beautiful words that fill them with hope and love and excitement. Now that I am no longer brainwashed, I can't believe how naive I was. Emotions can be manipulated. Feeling good and right about something is not the highest level of truth or wisdom.

Intense positive emotion can have a positive domino effect in your life for awhile, but it doesn’t mean the idea that made you feel good was pure truth and goodness.

Please take care of where information is coming from. Don't romanticize entities as perfect, all-knowing, or all-loving. Only God is those things, so unless you foolishly believe Abraham is God, then take care to keep your wits about you just as you would if a charismatic human being was preaching to you. So who is Abraham? Abraham may describe himself as something like "leading edge, nonphysical group consciousness."

But really, who is Abraham? An astral entity. Period. He can get away with saying whatever he wants because most people cannot even begin to verify the information! It's all just vague and nice sounding, and people eat it up because they don't know any better. “Channeled” does not actually mean pure or honest or better or without an agenda. It simply means… channeled!

As for so-called "manifesting," during my Abrahaze I was over-the-moon to find the perfect item in a store, get a great parking space, find a nice apartment, have an inspiring conversation with a stranger, or come across a solution to some problem I'd been having: I was psyched to experience literally ANY synchronicity or “manifestation” as they were all signs of my specially cultivated "point of attraction."

After my Abrahaze, I realized that this is just normal life. Synchronicity happened before and still happens now, solutions present themselves, people ask questions and the answers show up, just without the special story behind it. When you attach magical thinking and look for meaning in every experience, you find meaning whether it's there or not. It reminds me of that time my family member had a psychotic episode and was finding secret meaning encoded in every event and item. That's what Abraham-Hicks taught me to do is see normal life through a special lens of magic and manifestation.

When I finally stopped to look around, however, my life was just NOT any different from anyone else's. I became practiced in thinking and feeling in a different way, but the life that is promised never came to be. My inner life was pumped up, but my outer life remained a “mixed bag” of “manifestations,” and was utterly comparable to everyone else’s life. If these teachings were presented as an emotional experience instead of a way to worldly success then--well, it sure wouldn't have a huge following, but it would be more honest. Instead it caused me problems.

Problems:

--I was in denial about what was really going on in my life. Abraham teaches not to acknowledge reality but to focus on reality as you'd like it to be. I became way over-subjective about everything and gave more weight to the landscape of my inner life than to things that were really going on. This is thoroughly encouraged, but it is not effective nor does it change actual reality. Do you think the most successful people in the world really think this way—all about their emotions, exclusively subjective, purposely blind and delusional? I don’t.

--I did not deal with things in normal, effective ways. Instead I tried to use my mind and emotions to "attract" it. For instance, rather than set boundaries or end unequal friendships with people who used me, I focused on all the aspects I liked about these people. I wrote about great friendships. I chose to see only the positive and really FEEL it... This was supposedly changing my “vibration” rather than resisting so that only great friendships could be a part of my life experience. No, of course this did not work. Now imagine using that tactic in every area of your life!

--I spent 5 years in this weird, brainwashed head space where nothing amazing was actually happening even though I believed it was. When I check in with other Abers who are still holding tight to their dreams, I see the same thing: it’s all happening on the inside not in actual human life.

--When reality attempted to slip in, I would run back to this book, youtube videos, the Abe Forum, the Abraham meditations... Anything to keep me so-called "on track." This is very common amongst dedicated Abers. From inside the Abrahaze it feels like you’re doing the fine work of being a “deliberate creator” and staying powerfully focused. Now that I’m on the other side, I say it’s more like keeping oneself brainwashed.

--It led me to attempting to create and sustain emotional highs as often as possible. That is not wisdom, guys. I would liken this ideology to using drugs: avoid reality, chase highs, learn how to soothe (numb) your negative emotion. Emotional and self mastery is one thing, what A-H teaches is something else entirely.

--It created a lot of inner frustration and denial in me because I was not spontaneously feeling my authentic emotions. Also, you can’t look away from the truth, choose to make up your own truth, and not register the dissonance of that deep down. I can now see this dissonance, frustration, and strain so clearly in the people I know who are still Abers :(

--If the teachings aren't working for you, it's YOUR fault. It’s because you weren’t able to resist the ultimate vibration-destroying act of noticing that nothing is happening. It’s because your point-of-attraction was not where you thought it was. It’s because you weren't actually feeling as good as you thought you were. Abers themselves reinforce this amongst each other and point out possible areas where you’re holding resistance or not “doing the work.” The flaws of the teachings themselves are never responsible, of course.

--It taught me that emotions are my guidance system, but not in the normal, actually helpful way. Instead our emotional guidance is skewed by Abraham-Hicks into a system for measuring how true something is: If the thought makes us feel good then it's supposedly a true, worthwhile thought that is aligned with Source… Therefore Abraham's good-feeling words that we desperately want to believe in must be true--convenient! But this actually dismantles a person's built-in emotional protection, like telling Spiderman that his spidey senses--rather than informing him that something is not right—actually indicate that he ought to reach for jollier thoughts. And according to A-H, our emotions indicate what we are manifesting: Good feelings mean good manifestations, bad feelings mean unwanted manifestations. So your basic, very human, very complex emotions get removed from their true context and become something to constantly steer around in pursuit of pleasing manifestations. This is such a misuse of emotion that it is confusing to a person at a very basic level and scrambles our intuition, critical thinking, and authentic experience. Not to mention that the Law of Attraction is not in fact operating based on your mood!

--This philosophy is so simplistic and claims to explain every facet of the world. Abers love this because people want to believe that they understand everything that happens in their lives, other people's lives, and the world at large. Abers can't help but feel special and superior because they supposedly know how everything works. Again, this is not wisdom.

--It taught me to avert my eyes from things going on in the world. The world does (believe it or not) contain problems, but A-H teaches that everything is perfect and to look at problems means making them worse. So Abers feel very noble. They believe they are keeping the world at its best by simply turning the other cheek and feeling good. I'd like to survey people who have made the world a better place and see if this anesthetized approach was their secret to progress!

--It isolated me from other people: I felt like I knew more than non-Abers, plus I didn't want to waste any time talking about normal subjects in non-Abraham-like ways. After all, it could increase my resistance, make me feel something less than good, and mess up my vibration and my manifestations!

--Abers give terrible advice that seems brilliant only if you are an Aber! Husband is cheating on you? Work on your vibration because he could not have done this unless it was in your vibration. Addicted to alcohol? Take the path of least resistance, which might be continuing to drink. And what is an Aber's measure of success to know if this advice helped them? If they feel renewed optimism, inspiration, and relief.

--These teachings appeal to those of us who really, really, really, really want to believe that the world works this way: short-cuts, effortlessness, everything you could ever want, a perfect world, no pain, no reason to ever feel bad. This book is full of sweet lies made to sound like the deepest wisdom and made to resonate with the part of us that wants it to be so. Believing harder does not make it so. Having a large, brainwashed fan base also does not make it so.

--Having come out the other side, I can now see how perfectly all of Abraham’s concepts twist around each other to create an ideology that sustains itself despite being false. It is intoxicating to us. It incorporates spiritual truths that resonate deeply and make us feel like we have found something we have been missing. But it also incorporates pleasing lies that tempt us deeper and deeper into a false belief system. We are told that the more we believe, the better things will be for us, so we indoctrinate OURSELVES into believing fully. We squash any "resistance" and critical thinking (and thus our natural warning system) that could mess up our manifestations. We are trained to look for the evidence everywhere in order to improve our results, so we enthusiastically count every positive occurrence as proof and erroneously accept full responsibility for the negative or neutral results too. We are not controlling every circumstance, life is simply happening and we interpret it in terms of ourselves (**I recommend you google “illusion of control”). If we don’t get the results, our recourse is to focus more, hype ourselves up more, reinforce the false beliefs more. And we repeatedly return to Abraham for the key to making this unworkable system work, and all he does is talk circles around every question, repeat the same unworkable concepts, and fool us into believing that feeling happy is the real success. There is so much manipulation here, but when we internally consent to believe it for the sake of a better life, we accept this ideology as wisdom and truth and uncritically drink it all in.

As for life after A-H, suffice it to say that the truth is always better than lies in the end, and my life has improved on the inside AND the outside. The inner tension from living in such an unnatural state has lifted. I don't manipulate my mood or dream up fantasies and mistake it for accomplishment. My personal evolution is faster and more authentic without the distorted spiritual beliefs. And I am not handicapping my success in life by over-emphasizing emotional energy in a world that is so much more than that.

I strongly recommend looking for inspiration elsewhere if you care about actual success, truth, and real evolution as a human being and soul. These are not just books, they are an entire belief system, and I do not recommend this belief system for people who are serious about their spiritual growth. These teachings are deceptive and illusory. You will feel all-powerful and tapped into great wisdom, but you will be more confused than ever. Avoid the Abraham-Hicks materials, even if you are not planning on getting really deep into this. After all, would you draw water from a contaminated well or sip a drink with poison in it?

I also recommend forgetting about trying to "manifest." I doubt that the most successful people in the world are bothering with the sort of content in these books. In fact I believe that they have reinforced completely different circuits inside themselves than those that A-H will help you reinforce. A-H reinforces circuits that will make you LESS effective, not more.

And for anyone reading this who is currently a committed Aber, consider the simplest explanation for why your stuff hasn't arrived (you know the stuff I mean). If reading this makes you feel bad, it is not because you're separating yourself from the knowledge of your inner being, it's because sometimes the truth just doesn't feel good. You are living on Earth, after all, not in heaven.

(Edit: If you are interested in reading more, visit my profile for a link to my blog.)
1414 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse