5.0 out of 5 stars Hail Pluto, those of us who are about to die, salute you
My humorous title for this review is in contrast to my profound respect for Liz Greene and the job she has done with this book about the planet Pluto, the planet of death and transformation.
Published on September 2, 2001 by Nancy R. Fenn

2.0 out of 5 stars Can you die of boredom?
It's a well written introspective-trip kind of book. The author gives a lecture on mythology to the point that the reader cannot take it anymore. As far as astrology is concerned, the author skips main points that she says can be found somewhere else. I found the book extremely boring and I forced myself to read to the end. I don't recommend it, unless you really like...
Published 11 months ago by A costumer

5.0 out of 5 stars Hail Pluto, those of us who are about to die, salute you, September 2, 2001
This review is from: The Astrology of Fate (Paperback)
I always, always recommend this book to my clients who are Plutonic (Scorpio in the personal signs or on the Ascendant, Pluto conjuncting inner planets, important planets in the 8th house, etc.). Their names are legion because I am Plutonic myself and draw them to me.
I believe that the greatest fear of the Plutonic person is that they are alone in the dark. I mean this symbolically and on every imaginable level. If you are so young that you want to tell me this is an outmoded impression of Pluto, I will speak to you after your first couple of Pluto transits and God help you for your naivete.
After reading Greene's book you will understand yourself at an entirely different level and you will be able to contact the MEANING in what it is you are struggling with in your life.
It is extremely difficult to talk about Pluto and its effect in people's lives with any degree of clarity. Greene shows depth, compassion, scope and breadth and, as always, her writing is TOP NOTCH. Greene is my favorite writer in the field and I highly recommend all of her books.
Perhaps her own Scorpio Rising and Pluto in the 9th house are helpful in her endeavor here but I recommend the book without qualification as the premier book on this pesky planet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pluto People! Liz Greene Rules, September 2, 2001
This review is from: The Astrology of Fate (Paperback)
Liz Greene has influenced my thinking more than any individual, astrologer or not. Her experience as a Jungian analyst, her Rising Sign in Scorpio, her Pluto in the 9th house, all give her the power and perspective to write as she does about this difficult area of astrology. If you have Pluto prominent in your chart, do yourself a favor and read this book. You will probably feel like, at last, someone understands you and the "way it is" for the Pluto Club. Greene gives unforgettable examples of case history from her astrological practice. Her writing is a marvel of craft, skill, and discipline, laced with some British-isms that seem charming to me. I place her at the top of writers in the field for her style and scope. What I like most about this book, however, is the profundity of her thoughts, the compassion so evident in her commentary and the healing insights which accompany her lucid descriptions of this dark planet through the signs, houses and lives of those discussed. I do not think you can adequately understand Pluto without absorbing this book. There is none other its equal in the present market.

5.0 out of 5 stars An illuminating work, March 3, 2000
This review is from: The Astrology of Fate (Paperback)
This book is essentially about Pluto and how he can temper our hubris. Liz Greene's style may be too 'heavy' for some, but if you are serious about astrology or interested in depth psychology you will find it a gem.
The author offers lots of quotes--from Joseph Campbell to James Hillman to Jung. I think these words from Jung best sum up the meaning of 'fate' in the title: "A man who has not passed through the inferno of his passion has never overcome them...whenever we give up, leave behind, and forget too much, there is always the danger that the things we have neglected will return with added force."
This book is not only recommended to astrology students. Those with Pluto, Scorpio or 8th house prominent in their natal charts will find it helpful too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liz Greene has done it again!, January 23, 2000
This review is from: The Astrology of Fate (Paperback)
This is about the best book I could recommend on Pluto. I'm a professional Astrologer and have been teaching since 1978 and I frequently recommend this book to my clients and students who want to know more about Pluto. Liz writes extremely well and offers insights I've never read anywhere else. A Masterpiece and a MUST for every student of Astrology!

4.0 out of 5 stars Astrology of Fate--Greene's magnum opus?, February 12, 2002
This review is from: The Astrology of Fate (Paperback)
I have read this book through once and then referred back to it many, many times over the years. This book may be Liz's magnum opus. It really does bring together in one book many of Greene's main ideas as far as astrology is concerned. It is very philopsophical however and would not be a book for the beginning student, nor the student wishing to get specific info on certain astrological principles. It is very much a Ninth House book! I found it fascinating reading, though challenging. And I marveled at Liz's depth of knowledge and insight into the human condition. Her analysis of the 12 Zodiacal Signs as they relate to Greco-Roman mythology was really neat. The section on Pluto as an integral indicator of Fate was especially well done. All in all a very fine work!

5.0 out of 5 stars In self-knowledge there is liberation., September 8, 1999
Minsma (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Astrology of Fate (Paperback)
The title of this book might imply a certain hopelessness or a sense of being trapped by Fate. Nothing could be further from the truth. What this book reinforced for me is the knowledge that when we begin to comprehend the necessity behind our existence, there is liberation. When we get down to the bedrock of who we are, we see that our true individuality makes us participants in the journey of our life, not helpless creatures stuck in a vast spider web of someone else's making. The Astrology of Fate reminds me of James Hillman's book, The Soul's Code, which also showed me that in accepting and understanding who I truly am, I can be more than the facts of my life--or the configuration of my stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great value, April 15, 2000
This review is from: The Astrology of Fate (Paperback)
This book , I would have to say, is a great value. It is so rich and full of references to the western classical mythologies of antiquity and to influential writers of the Middle Ages (Marcilio Ficino), that I felt like I was getting a real education. I have another book by this writer, Liz Greene, called Saturn: A New Look at an Old Devil; and I just have to say that Ms. Greene is a gifted writer who has a very engaging mind. Yes, I have studied astrology. And while Astrology of Fate is obviously a great and enriching read for students of astrology, it is presented intelligently, and in such a way that anyone interested in psychology, or just deeper questions and issues in life - particularly with regard to suffering, oppression, powerlessness, to name a few - would certainly be intrigued. The book is heavy on Pluto, but Pluto is a heavyweight, astrologically speaking. It can't be easy to write about ideas and topics associated with the subject of fate, but Greene does quite well with it, even when, at times, the complexity of the themes are reflected in the writing. Especially interesting was the section on Myth and the Zodiac. There were insights shared here that have really helped increase my understanding, or potential understanding, of others' lives and dilemmas. This book is very, very reasonably priced for the plutonian dragon's hoard of riches it contains! [My apologies for not underlining book titles.]

5.0 out of 5 stars If 'Fate' is explicable, this book come remarkably close...!, July 11, 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: The Astrology of Fate (Paperback)
Astrology and 'Fate'... These two seem inextricably bound together -- enchanting, and at
the same time frustrating attempts to understand their connection. Enter Liz Greene! With the
clarity and incisiveness needed for exploring this vast realm, Ms. Greene delves into the deep,
hypnotic recesses of 'the Unconscious' -- and resurfaces with astrological treasure. You will
virtually feel your mind expanding as you read her thoughtful insights, woven from detailed case-histories, and her own personal experiences of 'Fate' and astrology in action. Sections of
this book include 'Fate and Transformation', 'The Astrological Pluto', 'Myth and the Zodiac', and 'Fate and Synchronicity'... You will feel that no stone has been left unturned! Ms. Greene does not imply knowing all about these subjects -- as those more ego-bound writers do -- and you will not feel the slightest bit patronized, despite her obvious 'grasp' of the topics... Rather, she is open
and honest -- unafraid to share her own questions and subsequently crafting possibilities. This
gives the book a wonderfully personal feel, inviting you to relax and form your own inspiring
ideas along with Ms. Greene. You will love to share in this eloquent yet practical journey
into 'the Unexplained'. Having read and re-read my own copy of 'Astrology of Fate' many times over the years, it has grown lovingly dog-eared. Even now, whenever I feel astrologically, spiritually or emotionally 'stuck', this is the book I love to be immersed in. I have no doubt that all inquiring, astrologically-minded people out there would appreciate owning it as much as I have -- and I wholeheartedly recommend that you do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well that certainly explains everything, January 9, 2002
This review is from: The Astrology of Fate (Paperback)
Until I read this book, I thought I just couldn't receive any more enlightenment on Pluto, until this book. I avoided because of the cover, it was not appealing at first. But one day I was just in so much Plutoian pain that I faced my fears & all of my fears were totally revealed for the first time in my life. It changed everything I did in my life from that time on. I'm glad I finally got over my fears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding the family tomb!!!!, November 12, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The Astrology of Fate (Paperback)
Quite frankly I was a bit turned off by the cover of this book, and simply refused to read it for several years because of it. (An unborn wrinkled fetus.) Well there's egg on my face 'cos I am certainly guilty of judging a book by its' cover. I "assumed" that w/ such a cover in poor taste, that there couldn't have been anything substantive within its leaves. What a journey it was!!!. I opened a crypt of such depth and perception that I recommend this book "only and solely" to those specificly embarking on entering the realm of family sins, hubris, the underworld and garbage best left to the professionals or the ignorant. ( I truly envy the ignorant.) Detailed and bittingly frank, I felt as though Ms. Greenze had stepped out of the book and spoke (scolded me?) to me like an older "sister" showing me the ropes of shamanitic rebirth through my chart, facilitating a walk (analysis) upon the bones of my ancestors. Enough said. Ouch!!!! Bones hurt.

The Astrology of Fate
The Astrology of Fate by Liz Greene (Paperback - November 1, 1984)
$29.95 $22.47