5.0 out of 5 stars Train and still have time for great food

3.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected
Published on February 23, 2010 by G. Mihalopoulos

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected, February 23, 2010
This cookbook has delicious recipes...but most of them are fairly involved and take a lot of prep/time to make. Unfortunately, the table of contents does not break down the recipes into "Training" and "Recovery". Instead, the contents lists them as "Breakfast", "Lunch", "Soups & Sides", "Mains", "Desserts", etc. Each recipe (when you turn to the actual page in the book) is titled as a "Training" or "Recovery" recipe...but for some reason, they are not indexed that way. How can I look up a good recovery meal or training meal if they're not listed in the table of contents or index that way????

I'm a 38 year old working mom/wife with 2 young boys....ran my first marathon last year and am training for the Marine Corps Marathon this year. I don't have a lot of time to prepare involved recipes and I certainly don't have time to flip thru each page until I find the right training or recovery meal.

I really loved Pam Anderson's recipes in this book...my suggestion would be to find the individual chef's recipes you like and buy their cookbook.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not As Good As I Expected, January 14, 2010
I was really looking forward to this cookbook (it was featured in Runner's World) but it doesn't live up to expectations. The recipies (all by celebrity chefs who have some connection to running) look good, but most of them are rather complex, involve "exotic" ingrediatns and require a lot of prep work. I understand that the recipies are "gourmet" but after runnign 16 miles, I lookign for good and simple (or at least some good and simple options). While there are definately some keeper recipies, overall, I think the book could benefit from a simplier approach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Train and still have time for great food, April 29, 2010
I have always had to choose between cooking good food and getting my miles in, especially during the week. This book lets you do both; recipes are identified with both prep and cook time, making it easy to choose what you want to make, and maybe even get a few miles in while it's in the oven. They are also identified as appropriate for "training" or "recovery" to ensure you are eating the most appropriate food at the right times in your training day.

4.0 out of 5 stars great athlete's cookbook, July 28, 2010
C. bratt (johnson creek, wi) - See all my reviews
i love this cookbook. i made a different dish everyday for two weeks straight, and there was probably one that my family did not like. i am 32 years old, have been running long distance for quite a few years, qualified for boston with my first marathon, i have four young children who i take care of during the day and work third shift. this cookbook had great recipes that fit our schedule, budget, and tastebuds. i would agree with a couple other reviews that organizing the recipes according to training and recovery would be nice, but i make my menu two weeks at a time, so i plan ahead what i'm making, and i just look it up in the book. also, there are a few recipes that called for ingredients i couldn't find. we enjoyed the book, and i hope you enjoy it also.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty Runner's Recipes, December 3, 2010
My husband learned about this cookbook when he saw Bobby Flay featured in his running magazine. I have made several recipes from it. The ones I chose were in the moderately easy to medium range of difficulty, factoring in number of ingredients, time to prepare and cook, etc. We tend to predominantly eat pastas,a little fish, chicken, soups and salads. We appreciate that nutritional information is included.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for all levels!, June 7, 2012
This review is from: The Athlete's Palate Cookbook: Renowned Chefs, Delicious Dishes, and the Art of Fueling Up While Eating Well (Paperback)
Whether your a beginner athlete or pro, or whether you are new to cooking or consider it a hobby, this book is great!

As someone who has been a life long athlete, but not one to cook, this book was great. So far every recipe I have tried has been great. Warning though, I have found that a few of the recipes make a considerable amount more than what the numbers of serving the recipe states- which isn't a bad thing if you like to have left-overs! There are a lot of really easy recipes with every day pantry items, as well as recipes that need a bit of specialized shopping if you want to try something a bit different. Most don't leave much of a mess either, since you don't have to cook a lot of items separately to combine them! I highly recommend this cookbook, regardless of your level or cooking or athletic abilities. Heck, you don't even have to be an athlete at all to eat healthy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Go to book for recipes!, November 28, 2011
Jamie (Louisiana, United States) - See all my reviews
We received this book as a wedding gift. Looking at the recipes a first, they look complex, however, once you read the directions and get into the process the recipes are easy. All of the ingredients are found at the local Winn Dixie. A few pastas are carried a specialty stores, but you can always sub them with a similar pasta. I gifted this book to several family members and everyone loves it. They love the simplicity of this book, the ease of cooking from it and the excellent food that is a result!

This is our go to on any night we need something quick and good. It's nice to have good food after a long run! An easy recovery is the Naan Pizzas! Yummy!!! Highly recommend for athletes and anyone who loves good, healthy food! All of our other cookbooks collect dust now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy recipes you will love, November 5, 2010
I absolutely love this cookbook. I am not a cook by any means, but wanted a book that had easy to cook recipes that were high in protein. This book has it all, and lists out calorie count for each recipe. I highly recommend this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Cookbook, June 18, 2011
I am a foody and a triathlete so this book has given me some new healthy recipes to add to the menu!

5.0 out of 5 stars What you eat is just as important as how you train, April 9, 2014
Great book that helps balance nutrition and flavor for any athlete. Tired of eating the same meals all the time? Get this book! It will give you ideas of ways to cook meals that meet your dietary needs and are healthy for you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›