5.0 out of 5 stars Not for Athlete's Only

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published on December 23, 2009 by run4st

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for Athlete's Only, January 14, 2010
William Smith (Shelter Island, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Athlete's Plate: Real Food for High Performance (Paperback)
This is a great and sorely needed book on food and our relationships with it. It is not for athletes only, but really for anyone, male or female that wants to establish a healthy relationship with food and also learn how to do it easily and effortlessly. The information was an eye opener and recipes especially for someone who doesn't really cook a joy to prepare and eat. Most important possibly is that in the short few weeks that I've had the book and am using it, I have lost 7 pounds and feel better. My body is "lighter" and my mind has much more clarity. The book has made me rethink my relationship with food and in the days ahead will undoubtedly result in a healthier me.
I recommend this book to anyone who wants to begin to clean their systems and establish healthy eating patterns which will result in weight loss if desired, but more important feeling and 'being' much better.
I look forward to a sequel soon hopefully!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, December 23, 2009
run4st (Charleston, SC) - See all my reviews
I was disappointed in this book when I received it. Yes, it has some great recipes. But in a book touted to improve your performance, I expected recipes that were perfectly balanced with the right protein: carb: fat ratio. Also missing: nutrition information! As a runner, the nutritional breakdown of what I'm eating is very important to me. With a little more attention to detail, this would be a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for athletes, busy people ... and those who cook for them, January 6, 2010
Windwoman (Carbondale, CO) - See all my reviews
I wish I'd had this book when my son was first racing bikes as a 13-year old, back in the early 1990s. I bet he wishes I had, too. (He probably would have won more races than he did on those ridiculous nutritionally hollow night-before-the-race spaghetti feeds.) Equally, I wish I'd had it last year when life had me stretched thin and it was hard to find time to cook for myself. But here it is, quick and easy, mouth-watering recipes and all, providing inspiration and advice to endurance athletes -- and the rest of us as well. I can't wait for the Portland Farmer's Market to open again in March, so I can get the locally grown organic stuff Adam recommends, straight from the fields and all in one place. Until then, I'll soak up his nutritional know how and live into his seasonal recommendations for winter eating. Broccoli soup, lentil burgers, coconut almond smoothies, chicken satay. Look out, here I come. This book will be dog-eared with food stains before long.

5.0 out of 5 stars invaluable resource for anyone who eats!!!, December 23, 2009
I am a single mother of two kids, an athlete, and a yoga teacher/studio owner with an extremely busy lifestyle. One of the best things to me about this book is it's accessibility in terms of being able to immediately and easily incorporate some of the ideas and suggestions presented. Starting with considering our relationship to our food and where it comes from, all the way to the easy to make (and I am so not a chef!!!) delicious recipes, this book is a must-read for sure!! The title can be slightly misleading, only in that I would highly recommend this book to ANYONE with an active lifestyle, not just athlete's (and don't we all have active lifestyles?)

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST read for every athlete out there!!!, December 21, 2009
I have been a high endurance athlete for almost 10 years now and no other resource has given me the kind of information to step up my game like this book has. I feel that the combination of exercise and healthy eating to go along with that is the missing "ingredient" in a lot of athlete's regimen these days. This book bridges that gap.
Whether you are a high performance athlete or just someone who likes to stay in shape, eat well and take care of your body, then this book is a MUST read.

To Success!
-JDK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good material, October 23, 2010
RWB "RWB" (U.S. Southwest) - See all my reviews
This book has a lot of good nutritional information, as well as some great recipes. It is not a cook book per se; the recipes only take up about half of the pages while the first half is dedicated to information regarding diet and nutrition.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of both worlds, December 25, 2009
Excellent book. As a mixed martial artist with an organic whole foods diet, let me tell you, this book is a rare treasure. It is the first book I have ever found that properly combines the two worlds of sports and organics. And the recipes are brilliant.
If you want a healthy, conscious alternative to the usual run-of-the-mill sport's nutrition mentality then The Athlete's Plate is for you. I recommend it for professional sportsmen but also anyone who wants to find a healthier lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for ahtlete's in training, January 9, 2010
Bought this book for Xmas for my daughter who is training for an triathlon later on this spring. She loves it and wanted to sit down and read it right away. She keeps on picking it up to look at it. She already eats pretty healthy but this book gives her lots of knowledge and recipes. Defintely a keeper for anyone in training. Thanks!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book with GREAT recipes, and great REAL advice, December 26, 2009
My wife and I struggle to find easy to make, quick meals that are healthy and organic. With Mr Kelisons book we have found it to be very real and very simple recipes that we can actually make.
Its insightful, smart and very much "real" recipes that I can make. And I am not the best chef in the kitchen, if you know what I mean!

I appreciate the fun reading and I think this book is great for athletic and non-athletic alike.

Buy this book for all the people you care about that need to eat healthy and quick. And make their own food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as advertised, February 8, 2011
I have had success with several recipes already; they were easy to make (even though I am relatively inexperienced in the kitchen) and quite tasty in addition to being healthy. No special cooking skills are required and prep has been pretty easy, but many ingredients seemed pretty exotic to me, having no experience with organic products; I found them all in the organic section of my local grocery store though. About 1/2 of the book is informational-covering the basics of healthy organic nutrition. I wasn't expecting that but it caught my interest and it turned out to be a great primer on the basics of organic food, which was previously a mystery to me.

The Athlete's Plate: Real Food for High Performance
The Athlete's Plate: Real Food for High Performance by Adam Kelinson (Paperback - December 1, 2009)
$24.95 $16.26