4.0 out of 5 stars a great help for the low-carb shopper
Published on September 19, 2009 by IzzyReal

2.0 out of 5 stars bah...never pay real money for a glorified brochure
First off, my credentials: I lost fifty pounds on this diet. This is a review of this guide, not of the diet.
Published on May 11, 2004 by J. K. Kelley

2.0 out of 5 stars bah...never pay real money for a glorified brochure, May 11, 2004
This review is from: The Atkins Shopping Guide: Indispensable Tips and Guidelines for Successfully Stocking Your Low-carb Kitchen (Mass Market Paperback)
The beginning part of the book gives a brief, peppy rundown on the diet itself. It has some good information, but the tone is irritating. The phrase 'doing Atkins' may be colloquially understood, but it sounds amateurish and is heavily overused. No opportunity to pimp Atkins brand products is passed up. The result had me on edge by the time I began reading the actual shopping guide, and then it got worse.
The useful parts are those dealing with raw foods, ones that don't involve 'branding' (that's corporate newspeak for "ramming the product name into your head and keeping it there," folks): fruits, basic meats, cheeses. Gouda is gouda; tofu is tofu; beets are beets. Unfortunately, even these parts suffer from some degree of measurement inconsistency.
If you're going to compare nutritional facts from item to item, you have to use the same size portions for each item in a class. It is no good referring to 1/2 cup of most vegetables, then switching to 'half a baked potato' or 'two tablespoons'. Sure, the reader can convert, but isn't that why I bought the book? Pick a half cup and stick with it. Or an ounce. A ton. I don't care, as long as it's consistent, and the book's measurements are often so inconsistent as to be impractical for reference.
Where the book really begins to go south is when it comes to any form of 'branded' food. Atkins Nutritionals, or whichever branch of the Atkins empire put this out, has naturally listed Atkins brand products first in every category. Okay, fine, we're big kids and can read past this obvious shill; but even so, a lot of the other name brand products evaluated are going to change as the market reacts. That's going to make a big chunk of this book obsolete. Plus, the obvious placement of Atkins brand stuff first leaves a lingering suspicion: how did they choose the brands for the book? I can't find a lot of them on my local shelves. Is it possible that the ones chosen were those that would look undesirable relative to Atkins brand products? I don't know; I'm not a professional nutritionist or supermarket chain buyer. All I know is that the array of choices sure makes the Atkins stuff look like the best in every category. Funny how that worked, eh?
The problem with low-carb dieting, at this writing, is that our food providers have decided to brand a lot of their products with the 'low-carb' label, as if merely saying so will make it so. The guide states, correctly, that this stems from a lack of regulation. A balanced, professionally written guide would have been a great step forward; the message urged upon the reader from nearly every page of this book--"Just buy ours!"--is a step backward.
Like any sales brochure, this should be free. Don't pay $7.50 for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars a great help for the low-carb shopper, September 19, 2009
Although I've been on the Atkins Program before, I was still in the dark on what to buy when I was at the store. Eggs, meat, cheese, etc. for sure, but I wasn't aware of a lot of the other stuff I could employ in my Battle of the Bulge. This guide names names and gives good advice on whether or not you should buy it, even if you are allowed to employ it in your program.
One question I have is: I noticed it was published in 2004. Is some of this info still valid? Have there been updates or revisions since 2004? Nevertheless, it is a handy addition to my arsenal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Carb Diet, January 2, 2014
Best carb diet. Health way to lose weight. Helps my arthritis, too. Every five days eat a little more carbs than normal and helps jump start the loss again

5.0 out of 5 stars less fat and happy, March 8, 2010
The book was delivered promptly and is in good condition. I would recomend this way of eating to anyone who has tried other diets and failed to lose weight and to folks that have diabetes or sensitivity to sugar and carbohydrates. After trying the Atkins plan for 5 days I not only lost 8 pounds but also felt more energetic, less moody and slept better.I can see staying on the Atkins plan for life, I do not feel like I am on a diet since I can have butter whipped cream cheese and a wide variety of tasty food.

1.0 out of 5 stars My go to guide? NOT anymore., October 29, 2011
This is exactly what I use in place of labels that may have huge serving sizes and you need a conversion either up or down because the carb counts are more exact than the product labeling due to the fact that products are only required to list the count if above 1 gram by the FDA. This may not be the newest version but for general info especially on whole foods, it's great. Also contains counts of foods not recommended but for side by side comparison you can see just how much you may have been eating before. Bought several of the Atkin's books together but use this one everyday and the most as reference.

Update: I never was able to lose more than 10-15 lbs. on this diet for some reason. I tried for over a year modifying the diet and checking for updates as I went on the Atkin's site. No such luck. I was constantly lethargic, depressed, and sick on this diet. Then I decided it was time to do a little searching in other fields if this wasn't working for me. I finally read the China Study, The Gerson Diet, and found documentaries on a plant based diet. I reluctantly changed my entire way of looking at food. I suffer from hemiplegic migraines and IBS. Both these have either lessened and all but disappeared. I have lost weight but the thing I find most comforting is that I don't feel the same way I did on the Atkin's Diet or even a standard American Diet. I just couldn't do it anymore. It may work for some people but I'm vegan now and I don't feel deprived the way that Atkin's claimed everyone would feel without his diet and healthier for it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Half the book is very useful, the other half a waste., February 7, 2013
Yes, half of the info in the book is very useful and you can get ideas about what foods to buy that are relatively low in carbs. The other half of the book mentions specific brands of grocery store products that can't even be found in most stores. So, it seems half the book is an advertisement so it winds up being over-priced for what it is. There are likely better low-carb resource books than this one if you want to save and maximize.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Atkins, June 17, 2014
To me this is a great source for grocery shopping. When I first started Atkins and did not have this book I spent hours in the store reading labels. By using this I can pre-write the brands I am looking for based on glycemic levels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy Dandy little book, ain't it?, October 26, 2009
This book is the cat's meow!! It has saved me and even directed me to some healthier options.

I received the book in great condition and in a timely manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knowledge at hand, April 1, 2010
Kathleen Dorvee (QUEENSBURY, NY, US) - See all my reviews
This book has all the information you need to purchase low carb foods for the Atkins way of eating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book! I lost over 20 pounds the first ..., June 30, 2014
Great book! I lost over 20 pounds the first month.

The Atkins Shopping Guide: Indispensable Tips and Guidelines for Successfully Stocking Your Low-carb Kitchen by Atkins Health & Medical Information Serv (Mass Market Paperback - April 27, 2004)
$7.99 $7.19