Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on July 4, 2008
Let me begin by expanding on Amazon's description of what you do and don't get compared to the dead tree version. You don't get anything in map or table form, such as weather, comics, TV listings, puzzles, or sports standings. You also don't get some syndicated features, such as Dear Abby and other advice columns.

You do get all the special local sections. The AJC publishes a daily Gwinnett News for newspapers distributed in that county (a holdover from when there was a competing newspaper there). You also get all the weekly local sections for other parts of the metro area. Contrary to what another reviewer wrote, you do get the Sunday paper, but it's missing some material that doesn't originate with the AJC, such as Parade magazine.

As for the quality of the AJC itself, it is not a world class newspaper and doesn't try to be. It relies almost entirely on wire services for national and international events, and coverage of state and local issues is sometimes brilliant, sometimes nonexistent. It's coverage of local business and real estate is certainly good, though, and sports coverage is outstanding. There are a couple of excellent sports columnists, and coverage of SEC and ACC college football is extensive and year round.

The newsstand price of the AJC is now $6.50 a week, so the Kindle version is certainly a good value. Overall, a very good way to read a decent newspaper.
33 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2009
I was subscribed to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. I enjoyed reading the delivery when it came out. The problem is that at least one or two days a week Amazon has a problem with the wireless delivery and the Kindle edition is not delivered. Each time they send a note that they are working on the problem. This has occurred for many weeks now. Until Amazon-AJC get this problem resolved I would not recommend this.
on April 13, 2010
I have been a subscriber of the Atlanta Journal Constitution (AJC) Kindle edition for about 6 weeks. Initially, there were no pictures and the titles of articles were difficult to find (they were the same size and font as the type face in the articles themselves).

On Thursday, April 8th, a new layout appeared. The new Kindle AJC has pictures and big bold titles for each of the articles. This is a much easier and more pleasureable paper to read.

Good job AJC staff for this significant improvment in the paper!
on July 25, 2008
The AJC's kindle edition is very good (and does include Sunday's edition). The problem really is that the newspaper itself is not the greatest (especially compared to the other national papers). However, if you live in the Atlanta area, you can't beat it. You have free access on the internet but the convenience of the Kindle for $5.99/month is definitely worth it.
on July 14, 2010
I'm still in my free trial period, and I've been getting the AJC for a few days now. As long as delivery is consistent throughout the trial period I think I'll keep the subscription.

I don't read the print AJC very often unless someone leaves one laying around. I can tell that the Kindle edition probably has a few less features, but for the price I can't really complain. It has the main national and state news stories that I care about reading. It has at least the main story image for most of the stories that have images. The sections are well organized and easy to navigate.

Pros:
- Easy to navigate through individual articles, from article to article, and by section. There can even browse by full text and summary which is awesome
- Includes images (it seems many Kindle papers do not)
- Titles, image quotes, and story text are all clearly differentiated
- Includes opinions, special sections, obituaries and pretty much all the content of the print edition as far as I can tell.

Cons:
- Seems to be missing weather, tv listings, etc. Probably due to formatting issues.

Overall:
- Other newspapers should take a cue from the AJC. They seem to have made some pretty big overhauls in the past few months based on info in previous reviews. The formatting, content, and most importantly price I feel are all perfect for a Kindle version of a paper. If you live in the Southeast US I would give this one a try.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. The only thing that could change my opinion would be if the deliver is inconsistent. I will update my review after my trial about my experiences.
on August 30, 2008
When the AJC decided to discontinue serving the South Georgia area it left a void in the daily rituals of many people. No more reading the paper over lunch or on a leisurely Sunday afternoon.

The possibility of once again having the paper back made buying the Kindle an easy decision. Five minutes after opening the box I had the AJC downloaded. The learning curve surprised me. I was able to jump right in and use the Kindle version of the AJC right away.

Once again the folks in South Georgia can feel like they have access to the news.

The kindle version is much better than the internet version. I love being able to carry it around in the car or to lunch and the price is quite reasonable.
on February 16, 2011
I have been subscribing to the AJC Kindle version for 6 months now, and I am overall pleased. Regardless of what was true in the past, the Kindle version is an exact replica of the paper version with the following exceptions: tables, charts, pictures inside the fold, cartoons, ads, coupons and other inserts are missing. But all news stories, be they local, state, national, or international exactly matches the newspaper in paper form. All syndicated columns like op-eds from George Will, Cynthia Tucker, and Neal Boortz are in complete form just like you would receive if you had the paper in your hands. Ditto, Dear Abby. How do I know this? I went to the library and compared the paper copy to the Kindle copy page for page. One thing I wish they would bring to the Kindle is Luckovich's political cartoons. The New Yorker has shown that cartoons can work on the Kindle. The AJC should do this as well. My other quibble is every once in a while a line is missing from an article, perhaps due to a data transmission error. For $5.99 a month, however, this is an incredible deal.
on May 25, 2009
Talk about disappointed! I have subscribed to the Kindle edition for five months. The AJC, in their infinite wisdom, stopped delivering the hard copy edition to my area in January. The Kindle edition was a godsend! For a while!
Lately, the Kindle edition has either been late or not provided at all --like this past Sunday and Monday. I refuse to allow the AJC and Kindle to continue to abuse me. I have canceled my subscription. For the first time in about 37 years, I will not be receiving the AJC. Their loss, not mine. I'll read the NYT on-line!
on January 10, 2010
A previous reviewer is wrong. The subscription does include the Sunday paper. I have received mine every Sunday for months just like every other day of the week.
on October 23, 2010
The NYT it's not. But, I really really like waking up and checking my Kindle for the day's AJC download first thing in the a.m. I let my conventional subscription to the AJC lapse in the 90's because I got sick of the hassle of storing and recycling paper. And, the web version of the AJC really sucks because it caters to the "if-it-bleeds-it-leads" market. In contrast, the article selection on the Kindle is more serious. It's nice to have a mix of international, national, regional, and local news again. I must confess that I also enjoy excellent coverage of UGA football and other local sports.

UPDATE -- 12/31/11 -- I can't get AJC on my Kindle Fire. I get it on my monochrome (old) Kindle, but I don't want to have to carry around two kindles. I'm tempted to cancel my subscription. Instead I've docked AJC a star. Is there a chance that the AJC will be made Kindle Fire Compatible? I'll give back the star when that happens.