4.0 out of 5 stars Better now
The illustrations are now included in the Kindle edition, and they've stopped cutting the questions out of Goldberg's advice column, so now the Atlantic is really worth the price.
Published on November 25, 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars All The Text, None Of The Illustrations
I love The Atlantic, so I was ecstatic when I saw it on the Kindle list.

Published on December 23, 2007 by Brandon Ross

4.0 out of 5 stars Better now, November 25, 2010

3.0 out of 5 stars All The Text, None Of The Illustrations, December 23, 2007
Brandon Ross (Washington State, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Atlantic (Kindle Edition)
I love The Atlantic, so I was ecstatic when I saw it on the Kindle list.

Overall, I'm disappointed. All the text is there, but no illustrations, graphics, or charts. One of my favorite sections is Primary Sources, filled with interesting charts and maps. For some reason, NONE of these make it to the Kindle. Nothing but text. I guess it sounds immature to say, "where are all the pictures!?" But I certainly miss them, and the content is not the same without them.

But again, it is nice to have some form of The Atlantic available. I hope the illustrations are eventually included.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bad License Agreements, April 19, 2012
This review is from: The Atlantic (Kindle Edition)
I just subscribed to my first Kindle magazine subscription (the Atlantic monthly). This is more of Amazon/Kindle issue however should be made known to anyone purchasing Kindle magazine subscriptions. Kindle magazine subscriptions can only be read on one device or software installation. This means if you select it to be read on your Kindle device you may not read it on your PC, Mac, iBook, iPhone or any other electronic device. This significantly reduces the versatility in reading your purchased material.

I'm sure I will be criticized for providing a negative review in the Atlantic magazine product area, but please note I did give the magazine review four stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete?, September 13, 2008
This review is from: The Atlantic (Kindle Edition)
Since I don't get the paper edition anymore, I've been wondering how complete the Kindle edition is. I didn't really expect graphics, since most other Kindle periodicals don't have them or leave most of them out, but I was shocked when the latest issue of Atlantic in the Kindle edition had a list of the contents of the Election Special, but not the Special itself. Bummer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Magazine, but incomplete, March 2, 2009
This review is from: The Atlantic (Kindle Edition)
As much as I like the Atlantic, the Kindle version pales in comparison to the physical magazine. There is no reason photos, graphs and other visual elements should be left out.
I also dislike the index, which is just a listing of sections. I would much rather have a link to each individual article and a description of what the article is about. Nowhere is there a brief description of the contents of each article and the titles aren't always descriptive. Clever maybe, but not descriptive. So, I end up reading a paragraph or two before I decide whether or not it's something that I'm interested in reading. Occasionally this means I expose myself to something I might have skipped over, but I would still prefer to have some better cues.
The cost is low for the Kindle edition, but I would rather pay extra for the full experience.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sloppy conversion mars reading enjoyment, January 12, 2011
This review is from: The Atlantic (Kindle Edition)
I was a print subscriber for ~20 years and have subscribed to the Kindle version since 1/11. Here's an updated (downgraded) review of the Kindle product, based on an email I sent to The Atlantic.

The Kindle edition of this excellent magazine is marred by numerous conversion errors. For example, here are the errors I detected in a single read through just one of the articles (William Powers' dispatch on body surfing in Liberia) in the July/August 2012 issue:

The subtitle for this article was mispunctuated and miscapitalized, with a period rather than a comma after the first clause. Elsewhere in the article, "one" was substituted where "once" was clearly intended. A whole line of text was missing: these sentences "The first gigantic wave slammed me into a sandbar. I limped back to the beach and lay on my back in the sand" appeared as "The first gigantic limped back to the beach and lay on my back in the sand" on my Kindle. That's a lot of mistakes to catch in a casual perusal of only 1085 words, and it marred the experience of reading a well-written, intriguing dispatch.

There are many other, similar errors in this current issue, along with most other Kindle editions of The Atlantic. I don't think it's too much to expect that Amazon's document conversions be checked for accuracy before being released to paying subscribers. Checking for lost text ("wave slammed me into a sandbar. I") by comparing the number of words in an article before and after conversion requires only the most rudimentary code. Selling such a flawed product is not fair to your authors or to the reputation of The Atlantic, and makes me fear that Amazon's growing dominance in the eBook market will further erode editorial standards everywhere.

At $2.39/issue, I'm paying as much for the truncated electronic version of the magazine as I used to pay (~1980-1999) for the throroughly edited, complete print edition, which, of course, came out 12 times/year. This is one industry that progress is not improving

4.0 out of 5 stars I love the Atlantic in any format, January 27, 2008
This review is from: The Atlantic (Kindle Edition)
Yep I miss the color pictures but it's still the Atlantic and with the Kindle version I tend to read every article.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Kindle version, April 2, 2009
This review is from: The Atlantic (Kindle Edition)
I've received a couple Kindle versions thus far and think it matches up to the paper version quite well. Yes, not many pics or graphics, and I miss them, but the ease of delivery and reading on the Kindle far outweigh that for me. I love the Atlantic in any version.
And I wish they'd come out with more magazine Kindle versions!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Few Drawbacks to the Kindle Edition, October 11, 2010
This review is from: The Atlantic (Kindle Edition)
As others have said, The Atlantic is an excellent publication, but the Kindle version falls short on two fronts. First, there are no illustrations. Thankfully, the Atlantic's articles can stand up on their own, but it would be nice to have some of the charts and graphs that make it to the print edition. Second, the price was recently raised from $1.25 to $1.99, which wouldn't be a big deal except that the print version is only 46 cents more now. When the Kindle edition was half the price of the print edition, I didn't mind the missing graphics, but now I'm seriously considering switching back to the print format.

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing issues? Undelivered issues expire and cannot be downloaded, September 5, 2010
This review is from: The Atlantic (Kindle Edition)
Discovered today that undelivered issues of the magazine, other than the most current issue, cannot be delivered to my Kindle. This is a problem I encountered with both The Atlantic and The New Yorker. Kindle support will issue a credit for undelivered, undeliverable issues. (You can choose a promotional credit or a refund to your credit card.) Hated to cancel my Kindle subscription and return to paper, but inconsistent delivery is not acceptable. I want every issue of the magazine downloaded once to my Kindle, or what's the point of an electronic subscription? Who knew there was an expiration date on downloads? Hope this helps.

The Atlantic