Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

All too often here on Amazon, we review only those books and authors with which we totally agree...or totally disagree...and give little regard to the quality of the actual contents of the book. And then, our fellow Amazon viewers come along and rate our reviews strictly on the basis of their own partisan biases. This is not very helpful.

I set out to read and review Senator Barack Obama's latest book, not because I agree with everything he has to say, but because in some ways, I had respected him because he seemed to be a thoughtful and eloquent American with a compelling story. I give the book 4 stars for style and significance in our culture, but much less for substance.

The Senator has a generally warm and inviting style of communicating that portrays himself as an agent of change in American politics. In terms of writing style, THE AUDACITY OF HOPE is a good, though sometimes "preachy" read; at times, it seems a bit too earnest or striving for political correctness. Obama deserves credit for being able to discuss his values and faith in a manner that is more comfortable than many of his political contemporaries. And, in the book, he does a reasonable job of articulating why and how his faith and values cause him to think and act in the way that he does.

At times, the reader may wonder if he is too ambitious - or even naive. One can respect his energy and commitment to change, even as one firmly disagrees with his policies and plans.

And, I certainly do take issue with some of the Senator's actual policies and worldview that he discusses. His health care plans may sound noble, but they would likely lead to significantly decreased quality and choice for most Americans and soaring taxes and budget deficits...big government at its worst. Furthermore, given the overall poor performance of government in other programs, do you really want government managing your health care? Another issue: while I do believe there is strong evidence to suggest a change in the earth's climate, Senator Obama and I would disagree on the primary causes and "cures" for this change. I don't believe that cutting taxes for those who pay taxes (aka "the rich") is unfair; I may go so far as to say that Obama's affinity for radical and government-forced redistribution of wealth reeks of socialism (though it's socialism masked by a warm smile). Another point: I don't believe that a "pro-choice" position offers adequate choice for the unborn child; Obama's rhetoric in the book is moderate, but his voting record on abortion is very extreme. And, some of his associations are troubling, particularly with some radicals who seem to have shaped a significant portion of his worldview and helped launch his career.

I do agree with Senator Obama that America must overcome our addiction to foreign oil, though his opposition to many reasonable remedies is curious. I do agree that more emphasis needs to be placed on strengthening families and upholding traditional values; on reducing teen pregnancy and the root causes of poverty. However, it is difficult to align many of Obama's expressed ideas here with the numerous radical and ridiculous statements of Obama's pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright - a man who preached one sermon that inspired the title of this book.

Senator Obama's stated efforts to transcend partisanship are laudable, but it would be helpful if he acknowledged that partisanship is not only the province of "right wing Republicans" but also a staple of many of his Democratic brethren.

In the meantime, whether one is a "conservative" or a "liberal," there is much to gain in terms of insight into one of the most significant individuals on the American political stage today by reading this book.
135135 comments| 2,186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2007
I wasn't expecting a whole lot from The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama. I thought it would be a lengthy stump speech, worth knowing but no revelations. What I found, however was a thoughtful plan, mapping out a direction for restoring common sense into the political process. Obama is a well-spoken, well-written, humble man who really knows how to articulate a message. He uses personal anecdote, history, Constitutional interpretation, and a healthy respect for the expertise of others in building a cohesive platform for success. Were it delivered consistently as well as he delivered his prose in this books, it would be the basis for repairing many of the rifts in the political landscape torn apart by extremism.

What really impressed me about his ideas was the respect he showed to the opposition. The book lacked the vitriol common to today's political discussion, more rightly called bucks in rut. He recognizes that most people don't live, eat, breath, and bleed politics. Most people have families and jobs and lives to live. Most people have dozens of important issues that are important to them and aren't nearly as extremist in their views as our dichotomous news media would have us believe. People want the opportunity for comfort, education, success, security, and happiness. Obama knows this and writes eloquently about it - it's not us vs. them, but it's us trying to succeed together.

His positions are clear - protect American jobs, regulate for safety with a mind toward capitalistic growth, health care for all, and a strong education system. He describes the process by which Republicans framed the debate, usurping issues and positions, claiming them as their own. He shows how this is false and declares the need to reclaim those arenas of discourse that Democrats have been thrust away from in public opinion. Democrats can be men of faith, most believe in God, most are Christians. Democrats are hard working motivated individuals and business owners who believe in a strong capitalist economic system so long as protections against abuses are in place. Democrats understand the need for both petroleum and petroleum alternatives and aren't trying to thrust us back into the 1800's.

He's right in this book and I'd have given him all five stars if there'd have been more passion in the words, more commitment to the change processes, and more leadership. Perhaps if he becomes president and afterward writes a memoir he'll speak of those passions and commitments more freely.

- CV Rick
on March 6, 2007
I got this Saturday and have enjoyed reading it.

Essentially, Obama calls for an end to the paritsan bickering and tendencies to demonize in American politics today. While he criticizes some of the stands of Presidents George Bush Jr. and Ronald Reagan, he also admits to the good he finds in both men as well as admitting some of the mistakes of the far left.

The chapter on race is a good articulation of the feelings of post-civil rights movement African-Americans who do not subscribe to either the extreme Christian right or the extreme Black nationalists. Nice to know that there is an ideological place for black centrists of our generation.

The chapter about the Constitution shows his background on teaching Constitutional law, which may be a bit much for the nonacademic reader, but his sentiments on this and other issues seem heartfelt.

I found this book similar in tone to Bobby Kennedy's "To Seek a Newer World" (1967) and Booker T. Washington's "My Larger Education" (1911).

He adds a lot of personal anecdotes (especially about his family) to prove his points, which makes the book more engaging.

Political reconciliation almost seems like an oxymoron in these polarized times, Obama tries to prove this is not necessarily the case. Read it and see what you think.
on August 19, 2014
I purchased this book following the 2004 Democratic Convention because of the speech President, then Senator Obama gave. I wanted to know more about this man. When I think back over his years as President, nothing really surprises me. Getting to understand the man through this book helps one understand how the man operates. I will say, I find him to be someone that remains true to himself. Watching him continue to evolve is awesome.
VINE VOICEon June 17, 2014
I had a chance to listen to the audiobook version, as read by then Senator Obama. I will state that the 4 CD set was well narrated, and I was pleasantly surprised by the moderate tone, the pragmatic approach and the bipartisan and thoughtful approaches advocated by the senator. The content comes across as practical, moderate, well articulated and oftentimes thought provoking. It is a good book for any politician or person interested in politics to listen to, as it recalls the hope of 2008 and the promise of true centrist leadership.

Whether the job changed the man, or the positions in the book were designed more for getting elected than governing is up to the reader to decide. It is worth the time to listen to or read, however.
on February 2, 2016
This was a great book. He is such a visionary, and one of the greatest orators of our time. His story and history of how he made it to where he is today is a powerful example, and an excellent read for all.
on June 13, 2015
Excellent Book and must read for those who appreciate the works of President Obama. I am so glad I have a copy now to read and read. I convey my sincere Thanks to President for devoting so much of time to draw his years of collection of memories, thoughts and ideas. Truly I liked the book so much. Thanks & Regards,
review image
on January 18, 2007
Well written, but it feels like there is nothing new presented about politics. If you are from the left side of the spectrum, you will find yourself nodding in agreement with Senator Obama's views, and if you hail from the right side, you will likely be shaking your head throughout most of the book.

There is a lot of apparent chastisement of political parties in general, but the author specifically cites examples from the republican party. Though I hail from the left, I got frustrated that he would present an argument that would seem like common sense, talk about how we need to centralize our political system, and then rip the republican side apart... doing just the opposite of what he says we need to stop doing!

By the end of the book, it felt more like a political stunt to discredit republicans and get ready for the White House than a book about changing the country. Ironically, I felt more sympathy towards republicans than I felt at the beginning of the book. A nice subtitle to the book would have been "The Audacity of Hope: Why the Republican Party Is Supremely Evil and Powerhungry".

A little less ripping on the republicans and following his own advice to politicians would have netted 4 or 5 stars.
1616 comments| 400 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I chose this title, "A credit to his race.....the human race," because it is what Jimmy Cannon, the legendary sports writer said about Joe Louis, perhaps America's greatest boxer of the 20th century. I found reading this book to be a breadth of fresh air. The man is passionate, interesting, speaks to the heart, and is effective. As politicians go, it's a pleasure to see Obama has a future because he certainly has a NOW. I come from the other side of the political divide from the Senator, and that's why I find a man like this refreshing.

I am not an ideologue, and find such people terribly boring. When they appear in the room, I leave the room regardless of what side of the aisle they come from. Obama is different than the normal breed of politician out there. There use to be a time when a life in government was a way of giving back to the country part of what the country allowed you to create for yourself.

You never went in government to make a buck, but it's become obvious that for many politicians, government is a way for them to earn their fortunes, and it's off the people's back. There was a time when corruption was in the back rooms, and out of the way. The people always knew it was there, but it was not in your face. My, how things have changed.

When you read this book, you find the thoughts of a reflective American based on his own life experiences. It is predicated on the belief that there are some things that GOVERNMENT CAN DO EFFECTIVELY, AND WELL, and this Senator would like to do just that.

This is a man who just might be President of the United States some day. I don't know about 2008, because by then Obama may not have had enough time to become seasoned, to have been around the block long enough to have a natural grasp of the issues by simply being there.

If you have ever been in the thick of a Presidential campaign, and you were to hitch a ride with the candidate on his plane, there is something that becomes very clear, very quickly. It's a question as to whether the candidate is competent or not. There are maybe 500 political opinion makers in this country who count. They are the writers, the television personalities, the pundits, and the editors. These 500 men and women always pass judgment on whoever is running for President.

If they smell incompetence, they bury you. An example is John Edwards in the last election cycle. I like Edwards, he had a lot of star quality, and that means a lot in the world of politics. He just didn't cut it on the competency issue, and the group of 500 burned him during the campaign.

Obama needs time to become seasoned. I just hope it doesn't mean he will give up his spirit, that wonderful quality that is the driving force of someone who is going to make it big in politics. He also has a natural base that will stand by him. African Americans make up 25% of the Democratic vote in this country. It is natural to assume that Obama should get at least half his natural base, which gives him 12 to 13%. He's got to pick up at least 7 to 8% of the remaining Caucasian (politically correct, for the red necks from Georgia reading this, I'm talking about the white vote). This means Obama should have at least 20% in the very early primaries. With 6,7,8 candidates in the running initially including Hillary, it comes down to Mrs. Clinton better watch out.

If this all sounds rather callous and crude, I am telling you what happens when you sit down in that room, and start talking POWER, because with the power goes the MONEY. My sense is Obama will make the run because we now live in an age where you just can't think 2 elections out. Obama may not be Mr. Right, but he certainly is Mr. Right Now.

In 2012, he could be yesterday's noise. Look at Al Gore who may have won in 2000. You can't count a vote that close in Florida, and John Kerry who lost by 85,000 votes in Ohio. Both men have less chance than a one legged, blind man with no teeth running in 2008, yet both deserve a second opportunity.

When you read this book, you will be blown away. The Senator for years taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago, and it doesn't get any better than that. Let me let you in on a secret. If you want to know if someone knows a subject find out if he can teach it, and this man can teach law.

What I look for in a book like this is an author who can challenge me. Can he get me to re-examine the philosophy on which I have based my whole life. If he can do that, than it's a book I cherish. Obama has succeeded in challenging my political philosophy, and I truly appreciate it.

He talks about his own understanding of the Constitution. Why he believes this beautiful document is a "Living" document, and not a "Static" document. He discusses different justices, and their understanding of the law, and it's a beautiful narrative.

Listen to the flow of his language on just one page, "We say we value the legacy we leave the next generation, and then saddle that generation with mountains of debt. We say we believe in equal opportunity but then stand idle while millions of American children languish in poverty. We insist that we value family, but then structure our economy and organize our lives so as to ensure that our families get less and less of our time."

This is a beautiful man, with a heart, and a story to tell, and perhaps, just perhaps one day he will go for the dream, and then the promise will be fulfilled.

Richard Stoyeck
1515 comments| 175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2008
"The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream" is Barack Obama's second book, and it is his personal view of the direction that the United States needs to move in terms of the type of politics we practice. It is not a look at whether one should be liberal or conservative--though he certainly does speak to the liberal positions better than the conservative ones; but rather about moving away from the divisive politics which have become the norm in recent years. The book is only nine chapters long, as Senator Obama goes into some depth of his thinking in a variety of areas.

The first chapter, titled "Republicans and Democrats", covers the recent political history which he feels has led to the divisive nature of politics today. He discusses the difference between the last generation of politicians who could disagree with those in the other party, and yet still respect those people, as well as the institutions and the history of those institutions and offices. He links some of this to the common shared experience of World War II which united many of the members in armed services, and nearly all of them in terms of shared experience.

I agree with this, but I think he leaves out several other key factors. The length of the election cycle now has political attacks happening nearly all the time. The fear which has often served to unite the country (civil war, World War I, depression, World War II, Cold War, and terrorism) has been tapped as a device to be used against the other political party (by both parties). The newer generation of politicians still has the common shared experiences of their lives, but they are much more aware of how to use fear (among other devices) to gain money and power.

The advantage of reading this book during Obama's presidential run is that one can compare his words with his action. Most would agree that both McCain and Obama turn to the "fear" tactic less than most politicians. Both pledged to run different types of campaigns, and both have compromised on their principles in this area. The clip of McCain being booed by his own supporters for trying to quiet some of the critical comments which he and Governor Palin helped promote is one which will stay with me for a lifetime. Obama too has been much too negative on McCain, and attempting to use the fear of Bush to taint McCain.

The second chapter "Values", covers what he feels are common values to all Americans, and which might help bridge the divide between the parties. This is an interesting chapter and it speaks to Obama's general tendency to try to unite rather than divide. The world often views Republicans and Democrats as largely the same, though certainly we see them as very different. This chapter helps provide the reader with the perspective that others view us, that of as being largely the same, with many shared values and hopes and dreams. The people who make up both parties love this country, the "truths" which were the foundation of our independence from England, and the Constitution and its amendments which form the framework of what our country is.

Chapter three, "Our Constitution", is a closer look at the United States Constitution and how it can be used as common ground for moving forward. Also included in this chapter is a discussion of the senate and the filibuster, which became something of a controversy when the Republicans discussed eliminating it to achieve their goals during President George W. Bush's administration. Barack Obama also does an excellent job of discussing the issue of the Supreme Court and the differing positions on "original intent". Key to his argument is the fallacy that the original intent of the founding fathers can ever be determined, and key to that argument is the fact that the founders themselves disagreed about the intent before the ink was dry.

Chapter four, "Politics" is about the institutional forces, such as the media and interest groups that seem to be pulling the sides even further apart. Issues become increasingly politicized, making rational debate and discussion difficult if not impossible. Perhaps one of the most interesting points he makes is that he benefited from mostly positive press coverage in his election to the Senate. While is opponents suffered from scandals hurting their image, he indicates that many people feel that he never faced real scrutiny. This perception has also followed him into the Presidential race, where several reports have shown that McCain has faced far more negative stories as a percentage than Obama has.

These first four chapters are the core of the book and the foundation on which the last five chapters address from different perspectives. In each of these first four chapters Obama gives us some insight into his successful campaign for the U.S. Senate, as well as his other elections and how he navigated the rapids, sometimes more successfully than others. He also deals with what he feels are the dangers of continuing down the same path of divisiveness which the parties have been headed down since the end of the Cold War, though most of his focus is on the way the current administration has handled things since he came to the Senate in 2004.

Chapter five, "Opportunity", is a look at his own opportunities as well as those of others. For himself, he looks at how the decisions he has made have either moved him away from his constituency, or closer to them. He looks at the use of private jets in both a positive and negative light. He talks about his meetings with groups as diverse as the founders of Google and the union-leaders who were about to see the jobs leave for overseas. The opportunities of others are focused on jobs, and he presents a short history of the private sector and discusses it in relation to the current climate. He does not pretend that globalization can (or should) be stopped, but he does push for a new "economic consensus" and the need for education. His views here have stayed consistent; though have become more defined, during his run for the Presidency.

Chapter six, "Faith", looks at faith and its role in politics. Depending on your viewpoint, you may feel that he is giving the standard Democratic responses, or you may feel that he providing something new, at least in part. For myself, it is the latter view. He opens the chapter with a story about a doctor who is pro-life and who expresses his disappointment about the abortion view stated on Obama's web site, not because Obama is pro-choice, but because the statement portrayed all those who were pro-life as ideologues. The story is powerful, and Obama's response to it sets him apart from those who give the knee-jerk pro-choice response. Fundamentally, Obama recognizes that virtually everyone would like to see fewer abortions; i.e. that we all would like to see the conditions which result in a woman being forced to make such a choice reduced. There are many of us who are not ideologues for either the pro-choice or pro-life positions who would like to build on this common ground. That particular story has become somewhat famous, but this chapter has another story along the same lines, where Obama talks about how he had stated that his faith led him to the conclusion that marriage was between a man and woman, and those same-sex couples could have equal rights, but that it shouldn't be called marriage. He discusses how a young woman was offended by this, because by saying that it came from his faith, implied that he felt that same-sex couples were "bad people". Of course, Obama has not changed his view on whether same-sex marriage should be allowed, but one does wonder how that community views his position there, and if they still feel he is looking at them as "bad people".

Chapter seven, "Race", is the one which I found the most interesting. One of the most important insights in this area, is his understanding that "white guilt has largely exhausted itself in America" and the implications that has for society and race relations. Also very interesting was his discussion of Mac Alexander, a black business man who was doing his best to restore his neighborhood, and his observations and experiences with regards to having jobs for young men from these areas. There is a perception in some areas that drug dealing is the occupation of choice, rather than necessity. His experiences in this area would seem to disprove that. He has no shortage of applicants for jobs starting at $8.00 per hour. This chapter also looks at the changing dynamics between Blacks and Latinos in the Chicago area. His discussion of the move from the war on poverty, to the anger over welfare is also very insightful and worth reading.

Chapter eight, "The World beyond Our Borders", starts with a look at Indonesia, a country in which he spent some of his youth. He discusses the changes there, political, economic, and cultural and the change in attitude towards the U.S. and the west as well as the change in our perception of Indonesia. He uses this as an example to launch a more general discussion of the change in attitudes of the U.S. towards the rest of the world and vice-versa. This then moves into a discussion of the post-9/11 world, and what Obama feels the needs are for the United States to pursue globally. He talks about the need and the benefits to the United States to follow international law, and not act as if such laws are for everyone other than the United States.

Chapter nine, "Family", focuses on family issues, and features stories both from Obama's childhood as well as the issues facing his family with Michelle and their two girls Malia and Sasha. He relates his issues with those facing most families, i.e. education, budget, time, and once again looks for areas of common ground on which to build. Many of these issues were touched upon in other areas of the book, as there is a tremendous amount of overlap between family, faith, and the other areas.

Barack Obama does a very good job of using personal examples from his life and the lives of those he is close to and using them to highlight key issues which face many Americans. I like his approach of looking for common ground, and one can only hope that he should use that approach to governing should he be elected President. There is little doubt that conservatives will take issue with many of his approaches to dealing with the issues that American's face, but they may find that they have at least some agreement on the overall goals and respect for his approach. I preferred this book to his first one, as I feel his writing improved. It also contains a discussion of issues which face all of us.
2424 comments| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse