5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful reference book

3.0 out of 5 stars Great pictures, information, poor selection of birds
Published on January 22, 2007 by PachaMama

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful reference book, May 7, 2000
Ellen "Melon Bell" (South Bend, IN USA) - See all my reviews
Before I purchased this book, I struggled to find something that I could refer to quickly when I spotted a bird at my feeder. Not only did this book provide me with basic features such as nesting habits, song descriptions, and typical diets of each bird, it also gave vital information on how to attract these fascinating little guys into your yard through the use of water, food, shelter, & shrubs and flowers. The photos are fantastic as well. I find myself referring to this book constantly, and keep it right by my binoculars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful baby pictures....., August 26, 2001
I recently purchased THE AUDUBON BACKYARD BIRDWATCHER, as well as WHERE THE BIRDS ARE published by the National Wildlife Federation and BIRDS OF NORTH AMERICA from the Smithsonian. All three books have something to recommend them, and if you are an avid bird watcher or want to become one you will want all three. The Audubon book will have the greatest appeal to the backyard bird watcher who has neither the time nor inclination to travel to the wonderful sites listed in the NWF publication. The Audubon book is not exhaustive or even nearly so. For a more complete listing of birds, turn to another Audubon publication or the Smithsonian publication I mentioned above. Audubon offers complete listings of birds by geographic regions in other publications. You'll find only birds adapted to areas inhabited by humans in the AUDUBON BACKYARD BIRDWATCHER -- familiar friends like Robins and Finches, Pine Siskins and Chickadees. Each bird entry contains a photograph of the bird under discussion, sometimes in flight, sometimes posing and sometimes feeding itself or it's young. This book is wonderful for kids and I am using it to teach my grandchildren about birds just as my grandparents taught me!! The book contains sections on bathing, bird calls (including call notes and mimicry), and baby raising, and all are illustrated with many wonderful photos including some amazing shots of babies hatching, babies being fed, and babies launching into independence. Sections on bird pests, bird deaths, and bird rescues explain foiling predators, warning birds about glass windows, and banding and tracking birds. The child exposed to this book will learn someting about birds and life. Probably one of the most informative sections for the new birder or even old birders like me includes suggestions about what to grow in your own backyard to attract the birds. It's not enough to put out seed in a birdfeeder if you want diversity, though the book covers what to use in bird feeders. If you want to see anything other than seed eaters however, you'll have to provide other types of foods including bugs and berries. Usually where you grow berries, you'll have bugs. The book contians sections on hedging, vegetation variety, leaf litter (for cover, food, and nest-building), dust for baths, and water requirements. While the Audubon book isn't a gardening book per se, you'll find more information about building a bird friendly garden in this book than in most gardening books. I recommend the Audubon book as a teaching and instuction tool for the new birders and old birders alike. Oh--my favorite baby picture? -- the short-eared owls. If you don't think owls can come to your back yard guess again. I've had them in my backyard and I live 10 minutes from the White House. I won't tell you want owls eat. You just go right on thinking it's mice.

5.0 out of 5 stars About the birds you see and how to attract more of them, April 14, 2000
By A Customer
Bird profiles, behavior guide, nesting, eggs, curious behavior, songs, displays. Ways to attract birds to your backyard no matter what kind of area you live in... landscaping, supplemental feeding, water. The photos are fantastic and are very valuable to the backyard birder. Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars best bird book for gifts and home, December 6, 2005
Art fan (chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
I bought several books of this type to determine which would be the best for my needs. I also bought the Bird Bible which does not stack up to this book at all. This book is comprehensive, colorful and fascinating. From the moment I picked it up I couldn't stop reading it. I can't wait to put all this information to us in my yard. A great gift for others as well. This book is well organized and has all the information you need to begin a great relationship with the birds in your area. It has sections on bird idenification, feeding, gardening, etc. A MUST HAVE BOOK!

** update**
I have since given this book to three others as a gift! It has been a big hit with each! Turing frieds into friends of the birds! It has been a wonderful hobby to share with friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps the Average Birdwatcher, May 7, 2006
"The Audubon Backyard Birdwatcher: Birdfeeders and Bird Gardens" is for the interested, but average birdwatcher. However, it might just inspire the reader to take it a level higher.

In Illinois, in the Chicago suburbs where I live, we are blessed with an abundance of birds. A lot of woods and water encourages them to visit. Farmland and large open fields and forests are within a few miles. We see hummingbirds on occasion, and hawks almost daily. Owls, herons, finches are all part of our landscape. The Audubon book helps sort through all of this.

I am an amateur's amateur. To call myself a birdwatcher would include myself with people who are much more aware of the birds they see. Still, I enjoy looking and noticing which visitors are flying by, and nesting nearby. When I travel, it is more exciting, as birds which would never dare come to my town fly abundantly in Washington DC, Atlanta, or Denver. Whipping out the guide quickly sorts out which bird it probably is.

The bird profiles are not the only feature. For me, it is my favorite, but there is much more. "Birdgardens" are garden optimized to attract and help birds thrive. You will learn about water and how to best provide it for which species, and about plants that help certain birds. You will learn, specifically, about plant strategies, like whether trees, shrubs or flowers are best, and in which cases you can have each.

The book understands the realities of budgets and average homes, and describes the best places to find what you need. In fact, the Appendices (around 10 pages) will be a great resource for any reader looking to step up their birdwatching a notch, with national and regional contacts, further reading, and, of course, information about the National Audubon Society.

I fully recommend "The Audubon Backyard Birdwatcher: Birdfeeders and Bird Gardens" by Robert Burton.

Anthony Trendl
editor, HungarianBookstore.com

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH THIS ONE, June 22, 2006
I have been a rather serious birder for well over fifty years now and when I first saw this book (it was a gift) I almost felt insulted...back yard birder indeed! Well, I was wrong...I admit it. I have actually enjoyed this one far more that several of the many hundred or so more technical books on the subject that inhabit my shelves. This is a wonderful quick reference and is quite well organized. I have interested grandchildern and I not when they are here, which is almost daily, they reach for this volume far more than any of the others. Sharing my passion and hobby with them is great and this work is a wonderful help tool. Recommend it highly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great pictures, information, poor selection of birds, January 22, 2007
PachaMama (Arizona, USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book for myself and our children to aid us in identifying the birds that are visiting our southern Arizona feeders. Unfortunately I found many of the birds we see were missing from this guide. It's got fantastic pictures, and excellent full page details on each bird which IS included, such as song, nesting habits and duration. I was very impressed with the guides on how to make your own birdfeeders of various types as well as the helpful guide in the back regarding landscaping for birds. Unfortunately, because it's not a regional book, it is proving to be less useful than I hoped. It's a great book to start with, but I think many birdwatchers, even casual ones like myself, will quickly wish for a more comprehensive guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, informative on many levels, December 14, 2006
I am new to birdwatching and purchased this book along with Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America. The Sibley guide covers more birds, but the Audubon has all of the common ones that I see in my yard, and has actual photos of the book as opposed to the drawings in the Sibley guide. I find that I refer to both of them frequently, however the Audubon book is one that you can sit down and read, whereas the Sibley one is a true field guide with just a paragraph on each type of bird. The Audobon book is a great starter book, and not only contains information on particular bird species, but also has great information on bird behavior and things you can do to encourge more visitors to your yard. I have enjoyed this book so much I just purchased it as a Christmas gift for my sister who is new to birdwatching also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for your bird-gardening library!, December 17, 2004
Peony (Tiverton, RI USA) - See all my reviews
I love this book! It is an awesome compilation by region of the plants and trees best suited for your bird garden. Great photos of the regional favorites, but there are additional listings as well. A great addition to any backyard birders' or backyard gardeners' library - it provides in-depth information for both the feder and the gardener.

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Hobby, May 26, 2010
I just became disabled after a lenghty period of being unemployed.
I've always enjoyed Nature, so I thought that I'd put up a few Birdfeeders in my backyard. I was suprised to see so many types a birds and other Wildlife that came by to visit my feeders.
I wanted to take it a step further and see how many kind of birds I could identify.
I went to your website and did a search for some books on the subject. I found "The Audubon Backyard Birdwatcher: Birdfeeders and Bird Gardens."
This is a great book for someone who is just starting out in this hobby. Full of information, easy to understand. It helped me Identify 13 different kinds of birds that visit my backyard.
I recommend this book foe anyone who wants a little more enjoyment out of Bird Watching.

The Audubon Backyard Birdwatcher: Birdfeeders and Bird Gardens
The Audubon Backyard Birdwatcher: Birdfeeders and Bird Gardens by Robert Burton (Paperback - January 17, 2012)
Used & New from: $7.07