Most helpful critical review
130 of 131 people found the following review helpful
Pros & Cons
on June 8, 2013
The reviews on this book didn't help me much...People either absolutely love it or absolutely hate it. So I went ahead and bought the book and now I can give a middle-of-the-road review that will hopefully help others. There are three positive things and three negative things that stood out to me.
1) LENGTH: It is VERY short! You could read the whole thing in a day's time if not quicker.
2) CONCISE (more like a handbook): In addition to being short, the author keeps things extremely concise, more like a handbook than an actual detailed plan. For this reason, it seemed to be a disappointment to many who reviewed the book and gave a low rating. Keeping that in mind, I consider this pro also a con (#2).
3) RECIPES: The author provides quite a few yummy-sounding recipes! I personally plan to try most of these recipes.
1) TOO MANY TECHNICAL TERMS (hard to understand): There are A LOT of technical terms. For this reason, the first several chapters of the book were WAAAAY over my head. I had to read each chapter several times and look up terms she was mentioning on Google in order for me to fully understand what she was talking about.
2) MORE DETAIL: Since the book was so concise (which I believe was the author's plan all along), she didn't go into detail on these technical terms. I personally would have liked to read more about these terms in a way that people who are not a part of the medical profession (like myself) can understand. This con is also a pro (#2) because of the conciseness of the book...It just left me asking a lot of questions, so I wished there was a bit more.
3) WHERE'S THE PLAN?! So when I purchased this book, I expected it to lay out exactly what a person suffering from an autoimmune condition should do. After all, it actually says "PLAN" in the title. I'm just a "black-and-white" type person who needs to have things spelled out for me and I felt lost after reading this book...Like I had just had a ton of information thrown at me and I had no idea where to begin. Aside from giving a list of foods to eat and foods to eliminate (which was a little contradictory in itself compared to what other autoimmune protocol resources, such as Practical Paleo, mention), the author basically just gave you the information and lets you figure out what to do with it. I'm mostly referring to the detox and supplementation information. That was my biggest disappointment. I've been trying to find out more through her website or other books or SOMETHING...And there's nothing available. :(
If you plan to purchase this book at all, please do yourself a favor and read some other paleo-inspired materials first. It will help you understand this book more in the long run. If I wouldn't have read anything about the paleo diet prior to this book, I would have absolutely hated this book. But having at least a base knowledge of what the paleo diet entails was very helpful in reading and understanding this book since the author really doesn't go into much detail at all. That's my two cents! :)
UPDATE (December 1, 2013): Looking through my Kindle today, I noticed that part of the title of this book has changed from "Plan" to "Breakthrough." It also appears that Ms. Angelone has a new website to go along with the new "Breakthrough" themed books. I will not be changing my review or rating as it seems to have helped quite a few people, but this is certainly a step in the right direction! :)