Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 24, 2014
This might sound like hyperbole, but I've found this particular cookbook to be indispensable: a game-changer; a life-saver (literally). Why? Because following The Autoimmune Protocol of the Paleo diet can sometimes feel like you have nothing left to eat. This cookbook solves that dilemma even on days when you feel too ill to cook for yourself. (I suffer from Hashimoto's Encephalitis and Thyroiditis, plus Lyme Disease.)

Before listing the benefits of the content, I want to stress that the book itself appears designed for ease of use in the kitchen. The cover and binding allow the book to lay perfectly flat on the counter while you work and refer from it. The fonts and clever layout make following the recipes and sections extremely clear--even for someone suffering from brain fog. And honestly, the beautiful and inviting photography and colors actually make me WANT to try each recipe. I have found the presentation making me more driven and adventurous in the kitchen--when I usually am too tired to want create anything "new".

I love how the pantry list, shopping guides, and weeks of meal plans incorporate the recipes included in the book. This truly becomes a personal assistant for meal planning and is a wonderful aid for struggling or overwhelmed patients.
AMAZING STANDOUT RECIPES:
pg.88 Nectarine Arugula Prosciutto Wraps: the creativity in this flavorful pairing is great for snacks, or if you have to run into a market and grab 3 things.
pg. 92 The Bacon Beef Liver Pate has really helped me incorporate offal into my diet, and I don't dread it, I devour it.
pg. 132 Cherry BBQ Sauce: heaven sent for someone who can't ever have tomatoes...
pg. 169 Creamy Celeriac and Leek soup (w BACON): again, makes me not miss potatoes at all. *THIS IS MY FAVORITE RECIPE*
pg. 204 Seared Broccolini w coconut Basil Pesto: OMG, this is so so great.
pg. 220 Orange Rosemary Duck: you CAN still entertain guests with succulent amazing dishes
pg. 296 Raspberry Coconut "Cheesecake": with a date crust... this is spectacular, and safe.

There's the real beauty in this creative guide: All things included here are safe for those actively healing Intestinal Permeability or putting Autoimmunity into remission. Because of my strictly following this way of eating, I have:
--eliminated my chronic 20 migraines a month
--eliminated my Lyme bone and joint pain
--eliminated my Thyroid antibodies
--eliminated my Raynaud's Syndrome
This book makes following the Autoimmune Protocol easier and enjoyable. It makes meal planning manageable, and it gives Autoimmune sufferers a real sense of agency in creating their own pathway back to wellness.
1616 comments|551 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2014
Why an autoimmune cookbook? Well, autoimmune conditions now affect about 20% of the population. That represents over 50 millions people in the US alone.

Although autoimmune conditions can affect almost any part of the body, they all have the same thing in common: a confused hyperresponsive immune system. There aren’t any cures for autoimmune diseases, whether it is celiac disease, Hashimito’s thyroidis (hypothyroidism), Grave’s disease (hyperthyroidism), type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, vitiligo, lupus or multiple sclerosis (just a few examples of a very long list of autoimmune conditions). But the good news is that there are many things you can do to help alleviate your symptoms and/or even stop the progression of your disease.

One of these things, you guessed it, is diet!

Unfortunately, most conventional registered dietitians and medical doctors are not aware of the powerful connection between the foods you eat and your health. In fact, some studies now clearly show that many autoimmune conditions are associated with a leaky gut (increased intestinal permeability) which can explain how certain toxins and incompletely digested food particle can get into your blood and trigger your immune system to attack certain parts of your body. The autoimmune protocol helps correct a leaky gut and tune down the immune system to healthy levels.

But what is the autoimmune protocol? It’s basically a Paleo diet (grain-free, gluten-free, legume-free, dairy-free, sugar-free and processed food-free) with all of the anti-inflammatory, gut healing and nutrient-dense properties it has combined with a few additional rules.

Autoimmune Protocol = Paleo diet + [elimination of the following foods]

* nightshades (tomato, eggplant, bell pepper, hot pepper, tabasco, paprika, white potatoes, goji)
* eggs (all kinds, yolks & whites)
* nuts (all nuts like almonds, macadamia, cashews, walnuts and hazelnuts, but COCONUT IS OKAY!)
* seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, flax, anise, caraway, cumin, fennugreek, mustard)
* alcohol
* NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen…)
* artificial sweeteners (including stevia)
* thickeners (guar gum, carragenean…)

WHAT IS THERE LEFT TO EAT???!?!?!

A lot, actually!
That’s where Mickey Trescott, NTP comes to the rescue with “The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbok“.
If you are on the autoimmune protocol (or think of giving it a try), you need this book.
It will make your life so much easier. And enjoyable.

Seriously.

I wish I had all of these resources when I started my own journey to a better health . The recipes presented in this cookbook are ALL autoimmune protocol-friendly. There are more and more Paleo cookbooks out there than ever before but for people on the autoimmune protocol, it’s very likely that more than 2/3 of the recipes contain nuts, seeds, nightshades or eggs…

How about a cookbook from which you can cook AND eat every single recipe? And feel good about it too. That exactly what you get in this cookbook. And despite the limited amount of ingredients allowed on t his protocol, the recipes are not boring at all!

Each recipe presents an exciting and nutritious new way to satisfy both your taste buds and your body. – Aglaée Jacob, MS, RD

I already bookmarked many recipes. The first one I made is the “fig energy bites“. They’re super easy and make a great energizing snack. I also tried the ”bacon-beef liver paté with rosemary and thyme” and really like it as a spread on cucumber slices.

Here are some of the recipes I’m planning on trying in the next weeks:

* Nectarine, Aragula, and Prosciutto Wraps
* Moroccan Lamb Stew
* Cranberry-Braised Short Ribs
* Lamb Meatballs with Garlic and Spinach
* Apple-Spice Tea Cookies
* Pear-Caramel Pie

Is your mouth watering yet?

Finally, if that wasn't enough, the cookbook also includes a complete 4-week meal plan and shopping list to make your life easier. We’re all busy living our life and it’s nice to have someone plan ahead for us. All you need to do is get the foods and cook (you don’t have to cook at every meal, many meals within the week use the same recipes so you just have to cook multiple servings to have a few meals waiting for you in the fridge to eat later in the week!).

This cookbook will not only help me expand my horizons in the kitchen, but it will also simplify the life of many of my clients following a limited diet like the autoimmune protocol. I will definitely be recommending this book to my clients and anyone struggling with an autoimmune condition.

Bon appétit!
44 comments|276 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Have you ever had a friend that really, really pushes you? I don't mean pushes your buttons, I mean pushes you to be a better you. This kind of friend is usually completely awesome at what they do. The kind of awesome that leaves you going, "How in the world is she so damn good at that?" Here's where the push part comes though . . . instead of that leaving you feeling deflated and jealous, this friend has a way of being so encouraging that you wake up earlier, work harder, and learn faster, so that you too might one day be "completely awesome at what you do." This friend is so inspiring with the work she produces, that you become more willing to push yourself beyond your normal comfort zone, so that you can refine your own talent in similar ways. Mickey Trescott is that friend for me and her new cookbook, The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook, is the work that inspires me.

Mickey's book is the first ever completely AIP cookbook to enter the Paleo world and she has set the bar VERY, VERY HIGH for any other aspiring AIP cookbook writer. If writing a cookbook is not in your wheel house, but both healing and eating well are, this book is going to blow you away. Healing has never looked so beautiful on a plate or tasted so good in your mouth!

So, in my typical fashion, let me make this book review short and sweet with a simple list about why I love The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook:

1) It's beautiful. Ever self-published and self-distributed a 314 page cookbook and had it turn out to be a gorgeous masterpiece? Me either. Mickey has done it though. Every single photo in this book is a pleasure to look at and every recipe is a breeze to follow, thanks to expert photography and precise design and lay-out. Also, can I say that I am a font brat. Well-chosen fonts make such a difference in a polished, finished product and even that detail is perfect in this cookbook. Just take a look at page 290. Have you ever seen a more attractive picture of popsicles in your life? Until I opened this book I thought of popsicles as a messy, annoying childhood treat, not a sophisticated, healing indulgence for adults.

2) It's easy. If you're one of the thousands of people attempting to heal using an autoimmune version of Paleo right now, you know it is not for wussies. It is a restrictive diet and requires enormous dedication in the kitchen. Starting is usually an intense period of adjustment and mourning for most folks. The healing that comes later makes it all so worth it, but nonetheless, beginning is difficult. NOW, there's Mickey's book though and all of that is changed! If I'd had this resource two years ago, my start would have been completely different. All the work I needed to do to prep food would have been straight forward with Mickey's expert guidance. And the sense of loss, of all my favorite foods, it would have passed within minutes of opening the book and feasting my eyes on all the delicious options Mickey has made available. Her creativity and expertise in the book will ease the transition so much, you may not even realize it was work until it's over.

3) It's sensitive. How can a book be sensitive? That's a weird thing to throw in a book review, right? At the start of my AI journey, I felt so alone. To be frank, even though I recognized that AIP was going to work, the diet itself felt even more isolating. The Paleo Autoimmune Cookbook shows you that life on a healing protocol can be full, uncomplicated, and appetizing. Mickey has included photos of sharing amazing meals with a whole group of friends. She's given careful explanations and directions on how to make this diet a part of your health care, with detailed menus and shopping lists. And, importantly, she's shown us that she knows first hand how critical it is to keep "yummy" in the vocabulary of those healing. Having done the AI journey herself, Mickey was the perfect author for this cookbook, because she had a unique sensitivity to the needs of the AI crowd.

I was not paid to write this review. I'm not going to personally benefit from its sales. I can however recommend, without any reservations, that you buy this book. It is motivating me daily. Imagine how it might change your life?
22 comments|232 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2014
What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said? It is absolutely been a HUGE key factor in not only keeping me on the AIP path to health, but in also making me excited about food again! I seriously kid you not. I was really stuck in a food rut before I purchased this book. Mind you, I already had the e-book, but I just didn't use it that often. I think I felt browsing through it on my computer and then taking the comp into into the kitchen just wasn't very convenient. I knew I wanted to buy the hard cover to support Mickey anyway, but after reading Sarah Ballantyne's review of it (where she states there are more recipes than the ebook) I decided to go for it! Boy am I glad I did! Not only is it laid out beautifully, with vivid color pictures of each and every recipe, but there is some great info on the AIP and ways to get started that are simple and easy to follow. The recipes that I have tried (and loved!) so far have been fairly easy as well.

A couple of tips I recommend: 1) *might be the most important one* get a dutch oven! Now that I think about it, this may be the biggest reason why I wasn't really using the ebook. The majority of the recipes I have used so far rely on this gem of a kitchen tool. I never knew how much I was missing one in my life until I got one! lol You don't have to run out and spend hundreds of dollars on a Le Creuset. I bought this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DZLOA98/ref=oh_details_o07_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and absolutely love it! Reminds me of the one my mother had. I actually ordered this at the same time as the book and received them on the same day :)

2) Consider investing in a good high power blender if you don't at least have a food processor. I have a food processor and a nutribullet. Between the two of them, I am making do, but if I had a blentec or vitamix I would probably ditch the food processor altogether.

3) Mickey states this in the book so I am really just reiterating here, batch cook batch cook batch cook!! You will be happy you did, especially those meat patties! They have been meal savers at the last minute more than once.

4) Next on my list to get-a spiralizer!

I don't think I have tried a recipe so far that I didn't like! I have only had the book for about 3 weeks; the e-book about 3 months, and these are the ones I have made so far.

-citrus avocado dressing: I made this when i just had the ebook. Had to stop myself from eating it by the spoonful! It actually kept a bit longer than stated in the recipe AND the kids liked it!

-Nomato sauce: just made this last night and I am still baffled about how much this actually tastes like marinara! Yes, it tastes like beets too, but seriously it is soooo good! The only thing I did differently was used a regular red and a golden beet (instead of 2 regular reds) and then swirled in some EVOO when I stirred in the basil. Yum! For breakfast this morning, I put a leftover piece of meatloaf (Mickey has an AIP meatloaf recipe on this site that is so good AND holds together without eggs AND has hidden veggies AND is approved by my kids!) on a bed of spaghetti squash and arame seaweed (kinda resembles noodles). It was fabulous!

-Creamy Celeriac and Leek Soup: Ok this one didn't quite turn out as planned. I used frozen leeks (never again!) and guessed on the amount the bag would yield vs a whole leek. The finished product was very thick and more of a greenish/greyish color compared to the creamy white picture, however it was still pretty good and I will definitely make it again with fresh leeks!

-Cinnamon-Scented Butternut Squash: simple and delicious!

-Curried Cauliflower: ALMOST makes me not miss traditional curry....

-There are several veggie recipes that I have used or a variation from Mickey's that are super easy and tasty

-Garlic-Sage Chicken Patties: I used ground turkey (cuz that's what I had in the freezer!) and they turned out great and were kid approved! I wasn't sure about the coconut flour as I have GI issues with raw coconut flesh products, but I think cooking it was the key here for me. I have had 2 or 3 patties so far and I they seem to be ok on my gut (yay!)

-Herb Roast Chicken: Yet another simple, delicious, kid approved recipe!

-Marinated Salmon: I used the coconut amino variation and it was fabulous and kid "tolerated" lol, which is saying a lot for my daughter since she doesn't like salmon. She is always willing to try it when I make it a new way though :)

-Mediterranean Salmon: I think this might be my favorite salmon recipe of all time! I've used it 4 or 5 times since getting the e-book and even used it on mahi-mahi once. One kid approved! (the one who actually kinda likes salmon)

-Clam Chowder: I am so in love with this recipe that I ACTUALLY DON'T MISS REGULAR CLAM CHOWDER! Yes, you heard that right folks, I'm talking Sweet Tomatoes' creamy, potato-ey, full of dairy and nightshades yummy goodness is now officially gone from my "man I wish I could ever have ____ again" list!! Now, as much as I loved this recipe, I bet it would be even better with fresh clams! I could not find any steamer clams, so I used canned. I strained off the water, then strained the water itself and used it in place of the clam broth. I used 2 cans, but I think it was a bit too much. Next time I will use 1 can, plus extra water for the broth and maybe a couple drops of fish sauce. Hands down kid approved!

-Three-Herb Beef Patties: I made these with beef and pork and am actually getting ready to go make them again with pork and lamb. I'm still not sure how I feel about lamb. I made some beef and lamb meatloaf (the one on Mickey's site) which was super delicious, but had a more gamey taste from the lamb. I will be curious to taste the lamb/pork mix and see if that cuts it down. Either way this recipe is already on my staple in the freezer list and was definitely kid approved. *after I typed this I made them. I put them in a mini muffin pan (24) and cooked them in the oven. I didn't want to fill them too much, so I had enough left over to make 2 smallish patties When they were done, I put toothpicks in them put them on a plate and in the freezer. Now I have a quick, easy way to grab something quick and adjust the amount! I can just grab a couple of meat muffins (they basically look like meatballs) if I want a snack or grab more for a meal OR add a couple to another small amount of protein and voila-variety! I have however decided that I don't really care for lamb :P*

-Dry Rubbed Steak: I have used both variations several times and on different types of meat since getting the e-book. Always kid-approved!

-Citrus-Thyme Pot Roast: So good, it even impressed my non paleo brother and was totally kid approved:

-Cinnamon-Ginger Baked Pears: This was the 1st thing I ever made out of the e-book! I have made it since a few times and with apples. I don't drizzle the concentrate on it anymore, but I may try baking it with the fruit and see if my cooked flesh theory holds true. Definitely kid approved!

-Apple-Spice Tea Cookies: Just finished making these. Another simple yet delicious treat! I haven't made many of the treats since I am trying to limit things like that and plus I have a tendency to go overboard (like eat the whole batch!). I wasn't sure about the coconut flour and/or coconut either for my gut, but I ate one and so far so good. I used figs instead of dates (cuz that's what I had) which was a variation suggestion in the recipe. I also used half a green apple and a very small gala (again, cux that;s what I had). The fig seeds give them an interesting "crunch". I do not know if they are kid approved yet, but I am pretty certain they will get gobbled up. They are so delicious that I got up from writing the review to eat another one! Must. Put. Away. Now....

My kids are gluten free, but not full paleo, teenagers so it's always a huge bonus when they like something that I can eat too! Thankfully they are not super picky and are always willing to try new things. Up until I got this book, I found myself making separate meals more often than I wanted.

I have definitely only scratched the surface with recipes so far and have a ton flagged for a "to make" list. Whether you are new to the Autoimmune Protocol, or have been going at it a while, you will benefit from this book. It sits open nicely on the counter too!
on April 2, 2014
First off, I am a personal friend and Mickey's food stylist. I'll share a bit about my experience an observations of the process and delight that it was to be a part of this gorgeous cookbook.

I was friends with Mickey back when she was a vegan and have witnessed and eaten and cooked with her and her husband through their journey to health. During the darkest days of her illness, before she really began to heal her body through food and care, we were worried she might not ever be well again. Through several years of trial, error and education Mickey honed in on the Autoimmune Paleo style of nutrition. I was there during her first forays of meat eating. That was amusing! I have seen Mickey blossom into a vibrant soul with great skin and a sparkle in her eyes, and I think we have bacon to thank for that!

And speaking of bacon, I have had the great joy to sample, or rather feast upon every recipe in this book. Every time we gathered in her light filled Seattle kitchen it was like a delicious dinner party. We used the plates, bowls and tables that we use in our every day lives. I sourced many of the props used in the book from thrift stores and each piece has found it's way into my home. All of the food pictured in the book was prepared fresh before the during the shoot and it was all eaten as we stood around her kitchen. Everything about this book is so REAL! Real light, real people, a real home and real food. It was amazing to watch Kyle Johnson shoot with his intuitive eye for light, texture and color. Mickey's husband Noah bustled around acting as a prep chef, photographers assistant and kombucha pourer.

I love that a key concept Mickey kept in mind was she wanted people who are sick and suffering to be able to use her book. For the most part the recipes are not complicated or tedious. She includes basics that act as nourishing foods on their own and work as building blocks for other recipes. Some of my very favorites are:

-Bacon-Beef liver pate (a totally approachable way to include organ meat in your diet)
-Mango Salsa (I don't even miss peppers)
-Cherry BBQ Sauce (ate this last year on 4th of July for the first time and Oh My God, so fabulous!!)
-Under the Weather Soup (made with bone broth this is truly nourishing)
-Shrimp and Green Bean Stir Fry (great for and easy weeknight meal or cold for leftovers)
-Braised Lamb Shanks with Parsnip Puree (so yum)
-Popsicles (I ate these in winter and I will eat them in summer, I will eat them all the year long)

Well, one could say that I am very proud of my friend for taking charge of her health and I believe that she has truly blessed the ever growing population dealing with autoimmune disease by sharing her story and her recipes. This book is a must have for people wanting to heal their gut and get on with their life.
on June 24, 2014
The author has put together a good collection of basic recipes. I can recommend the book if you are new to AIP and need basic guidance on what to eat. The author worked hard on it and is to be commended for the effort. It is a very well made book and it is pretty to look at and get inspired. I would have liked to see some more variety of ingredients. I am a little disappointed at the lack of "new ideas" for me.
I have a real issue with the font/type size and color. It is so small that it is hard to read and the light color of it makes it even harder. With so much unused space on most of the pages, it would have been easy to up-size the font and make it more legible. All in all I am not sorry I bought the book.
55 comments|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2014
Long time sufferer of Psoriatic Arthritis, Hashimoto's, Crohn's, Raynaud's and overly bizarre symptoms in between periods of functionality. I am constantly trying to renew myself, my spirit and my hope in healing. I've been working on my gut for 18 years, I'm a chiropractor and clinical nutritionist. This book is the best thing I have found in many, many years. I met Mickey in April 2014 at the PaleoFX convention in Austin and she is a humble, pure, angelic, smart person who walks her talk. I bought her ebook (it's this cookbook minus some of the content) about a year ago and I actually love having both the ebook on my ipad/phone and this gorgeous hardcover edition to page through and re-read over and over. The book is physically perfect - no stupid dust jacket, just the right weight and opens and lies flat easily. The first 20 pages are very supportive and give me a sense of Mickey walking alongside me on this difficult journey. There is no doubt this kind of cooking takes a lot of time and dedication. At my sickest, I wasn't able to do it, I needed help. When I do have good days, I really look forward to getting into the kitchen with this book. Bone broth is now a staple in my diet and I'm doing this AutoImmune Protocol strictly for 30 days. I am not telling myself I can never have nuts or eggs again, but rather that I can do anything for 30 days. Please God, thank you for my healing and the hope offered in this book. What we eat does matter. What we think really matters. I pray for the 50 million people in this country that suffer with AI disease. May this book be the door to remission for all of us. - Kristen
on April 25, 2014
I found this cookbook on Sarah Ballantyne's website because I was looking for recipes to try to help my mother with recently diagnosed colitis. After finding out this was an autoimmune disease, mom said she would let me cook for 30 days and would only eat what I prepared for her. This was the ONLY Paleo book that restricts all nuts, eggs, dairy. It would seem that the recipes would be so restrictive because you are eliminating so many foods. Nothing could be further from the truth! My daughter has been trying to find the cause of her rosacea. After finding out she is allergic to all dairy and eggs, I recommended this book. This is our cooking bible. The recipes are beyond delicious. The pictures are beautiful and directions are easy to understand. This cookbook has allowed us to have many wonderful meals without all the foods that are irritating autoimmune conditions. I sound like Mickey Trescott's best friend but I promise, I do not know her. I am just very excited that I discovered her book and am using it daily.Don't delay. If you want to start feeling better and eat some some very satisfying meals, buy this book today.
on February 24, 2015
The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook is my first hardcopy cookbook purchased prior to starting on the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP), and I am glad to have it at quick reference, especially when I was just starting out the protocol and figuring out what to eat and what to avoid. The list of 'Foods to Avoid' and 'Foods to Include' are to the point. The book has a very clean outlook and easy to read font, making it easy to refer to while cooking. The photos of the food featured are minimalist in style and yet beautiful and appetizing, making one go “This looks good and unintimidating. I can make that!”. The recipes are simple, elegant, and fuss-free, with pairing suggestions hence making it easy to build up a complete meal for a busy weeknight dinner or even an impressive gathering with company.

I have tried about half of the recipes in the cookbook to date, and all have turned out pretty well. The Rainbow Roasted Root Vegetables and Three-Herb Beef Patties are so simple and yet so flavoursome. I made the Raspberry-Coconut "Cheesecake" for a birthday and everybody loved it! In fact, no one knew it was made with AIP-compliant ingredients. Sometimes, desserts created for elimination diets taste ‘odd’ or ‘healthy’ (in a non-flattering sense taste-wise) but it was obviously not the case here. I think that's the selling point of Mickey Trescott's cookbook - the recipes work, and don't require a boatload of exotic ingredients, allowing the natural taste of high quality produce and meats shine through. Majority of the recipes are for Western-style dishes, with a couple of Asian/ Middle-Eastern inspired recipes. If you are used to strongly-flavoured food, you may find some recipes bland. I personally have no issues with that as seasoning is subjective and can be adjusted to taste. The author emphasizes on the importance of nutrient dense foods and this is evident in the variety of recipes available in the cookbook.

I would have liked a table of content with the individual recipes listed under their corresponding chapters for a quick overview, but fortunately there is a recipe index at the back of the book. The ’Sweet Treats’ chapter features coconut-based ingredients for most of the treats recipes so those sensitive to coconut and looking for a dessert may be disappointed, though that factor shouldn’t deter one from getting the cookbook as the majority of recipes in the cookbook are coconut-free.

The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook is a great starter cookbook for anyone interested in nutrient dense, healthy cooking and especially helpful for people seeking to nourish themselves or manage their autoimmune diseases through nutritious food while following the AIP.
on April 9, 2014
I've struggled to get myself put back together after years of an un-diagnosed autoimmune condition, an unknown parasite infection and unknowingly tanking my adrenals and thyroid by doing way too much Crossfit + Jiu Jitsu + low carb, intermittent fasting, ketogenic, etc. I'm definitely not part of the Paleo Blogosphere elite who seem to promote the daylights out of each other's books - good or not. I love food, I love cooking and I love collecting cookbooks. This one is a keeper! I have been doing this paleo thing for years and years now, but it took the autoimmune protocol for me to really see and feel a difference. Once I figured out all of the little nuances of what I can and can't eat, I FINALLY feel good - for the first time in three years. I have no problem figuring out how to adjust most recipes to make them autoimmune compliant plus garlic free (my own personal **** of an allergy) but this one cookbook I feel is just for me. No adjustments necessary AND everything tastes great! My kiddo cooks dinner one night a week and this has been a valuable resource for her because she's not as well-versed in making necessary adjustments so we can all eat together. I purchased the author's eBook way back when it first came out but prefer the hard copy. There are more recipes, better quality of writing, more and better pictures and I don't have to worry about my iPad in the kitchen.

My only complaint is the coconut-based mayo replacements. No matter what I add or what I do, I can't get them to taste good - and I like the taste of coconut!

If you're struggling with anything that could be autoimmune related, it can't hurt to give the autoimmune protocol a test run. Worst case scenario is that you'll find out that you can't eat eggs or nightshades anymore. While that's pretty sad (especially in August when the farm fresh, perfectly ripe tomatoes are everywhere), I'll take all day energy and clear skin for the first time in my life over a BLT. I can definitively say that I've put my autoimmune disease into remission through food and careful supplementation instead of endless prescription medication. Mickey Trescott is a valuable resource!