5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, clear exposition - a great book
Published on March 31, 2011 by Iona Main Stewart

Published on May 21, 2011 by Richard Szponder

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, clear exposition - a great book, March 31, 2011
After reading this book, I first have to say, if I read another word by Joe Vitale about his having been homeless, I'll scream. I'm so fed up reading about it. Those of us who know anything about Joe Vitale know that he was homeless at one point, and he's now a multi-millionaire, presumably. I'm also fed up hearing that he's a "big movie star" after appearing in "The Secret". It was a good film and he has been in other films too, but he's certainly not what I would call a "big movie star".

Also, in the book he talks about letting go of ego consciousness, But to judge from it, I have to say that it "sure sounds like" he still has a huge ego.

Having got all that off my chest, I'll go on to some positive factors as regards Joe and this book. He writes, as always, in a simple, clear style. Anybody and everybody should be able to understand what he writes in this book. It is very readable; Joe's positive outlook is very infectious and inspiring. If anything, the book seems a bit too simplistic.

The four basic stages of awakening Joe deals with in the book are as follows: Stage One, Victimhood, Stage Two, Empowerment, Stage Three, Surrender and Stage Four, Awakening.

In the chapter about victimhood, he draws our attention to the fact that only victims "blame and complain". We are more powerful than we know, in fact we are limitless. It's important to stop complaining and to change our language, so instead of talking about "problems", for example, you talk about "opportunities"; you don't "have to work out", you "get to work out". You should focus on what's right in your world, instead of what's wrong.

Well, this was all fine and good, but I felt I knew all that beforehand, and wondered whether it was a waste of time for me to continue with the book.

In the chapter about empowerment, Joe discusses clearing limiting beliefs, "nevillizing" your goal, i.e. visualizing the end result of your goal with feeling. Feeling is the key factor, and he uses the term "nevillize" in a reference to the mystic and gifted speaker and writer Neville Goddard who advised us, among many other things, about the power of feeling. (I, like Joe, am a great fan of Neville.) Then we need to let go (of our attachment to wanting something, for instance) and take inspired action. Joe notes that it's more powerful to intend something rather than just to want it. It's also powerful to focus on gratitude. You look on what you have right now and are grateful for this, and you'll find that actually you're already wealthy.

Again, this chapter was good, but there was nothing new.

Then I started on the chapter about surrender. Here we're reminded about Dr. Hew Len and the "miracles" he effected in a Hawaiian mental hospital for the criminally insane by means of his Ho'oponopono techniques. Now I've previously read Joe's book "Zero limits" on this healing method, and was greatly inspired by it, and I myself have used the techniques with some success. The process is absolutely simple, since the only thing you need to do is recite for yourself the phrases "Please forgive me, Sorry, Thank you, I love you" (or only the two latter phrases), directing the words to the Divine, while thinking of your problem. However, the process is somewhat laborious, since it all takes TIME. The theory is that by performing this technique you're healing, or clearing, yourself, and this happens since every problem or person with a problem you meet in your life is a reflection of yourself and your own problems. You thus take responsibility for everything you encounter and clear/heal yourself by the practice of this technique.

Although I'd read "Zero Limits" and practised the technique previously, it was beneficial to be reminded of it. Not only this, but I felt that I got more information about carrying out the method properly than in the original book. Apparently it's a matter of focusing on the feelings/emotions you have when working on the problem in question (if I'm permitted to use the word "problem"). I hadn't realized this before, hadn't really felt any feelings but simply repeated the phrases in my head (and still the process had worked!). (Looking back at my comment at the start of my review about the size of Joe's ego, I suppose that if I'm to accept the theory behind this technique, I will need to focus on Joe and clear my own ego, since he's obviously reflecting an aspect of myself!)

Joe informs us that the Ho'oponopono phrases constitute his new self-talk.

And thinking back to the chapter about victimhood in relation to the necessity of taking responsibility for everything in our lives, I realized that though I don't feel like a victim, I have problems with a certain person in my life, whose behaviour towards me makes me feel sad - and since I can't control this person's behaviour, since we can't control anybody's behaviour, I have apparently had a feeling of victimhood in relation to this person; and to deal with this feeling and move out of victimhood I will myself have to take responsibility for his/her behaviour and use Hew Len's process to heal myself.

So I got an important insight from the book.

I find that the process of surrender, which is stage Three of Joe's awakening course, is absolutely vital to living a happy, abundant life, but difficult to achieve. So simple, but so hard to do. Especially as regards achieving a manifestation, it is an essential factor in my view.

In Joe's chapter on awakening he admits, finally, that he isn't actually awakened yet, but has experienced only glimpses of this stage - satori moments. Good for him to admit it, I was wondering about that.

You must make time daily for meditation, in fact your whole life can be a walking meditation. Again, gratitude and being happy in the moment, that is, all the time, are important elements in achieving this stage. You can and should ask for help from the masters.

Perhaps the very best chapters of the book are the two subsequent ones, which are transcriptions of interviews with Joe, one on the subject of the awakened millionaire and the other on awakened relationships. He explains everything very clearly in these interviews. Especially inspiring are his statements about awakened relationships. "An awakened relationship is completely based on love ... You are, in fact love, and the other person is coming from love and is, in fact, love." Very powerful.

Hew Len taught him "If you are complaining about something, whatever the problem is, do you notice that you're there?" If you hear about earthquakes or flooding or whatever, you helped create them, and that's why constant cleaning (by way of Ho'oponopono) is so important.

The only negative features of the book are a few spelling mistakes and the like, mostly in the first part. Otherwise it is a book that grows on you and can help you gain insights and realizations. I strongly recommend that you read it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Endless Repetition and Shameless Self-Promotion, Nothing But A Commercial For Other Products, May 21, 2011
What could have been a revolutionary concept, taking the Law of Attraction to the next level of awareness, falls completely flat as the concepts in The Awakening Course are smothered by Joe Vitale's arrogant egotistical self-promotion. In fact, The Awakening Course is a massive contradiction in and of itself, as the fourth stage of "awakening" is to learn that as a divine individual, you no longer need outer circumstances to enjoy inner peace and happiness. Yet this entire book is based on Vitale's success as a marketer of other people's ideas, his appearances in movies, and his car collection.

The repetition of the same stories, over and over again throughout this book, is appalling. For example, Joe Vitale was homeless, he had a rough time in Dallas, and it took him years before he could go back to Dallas because horrible things kept happening to him when he would return. He tells this same story at least five times throughout the book. He happened to purchase a sports car once owned by Steven Tyler of Aerosmith. Again, the story is repeated endlessly. He was tapped to appear in the documentary film The Secret (for which he refers to himself as a movie star), and we must relive this magic moment repeatedly. How many times must we read that every night, Vitale lies in his hot tub, staring at the stars with tears in his eyes, and being grateful for his life? In fact, Vitale's four stages of awakening, which do present interesting insight, are completely drowned in his self-promotion of himself, his other books, and his seminars.

To briefly summarize the four stages of awakening, Vitale suggests that in the first stage of awakening, we consider ourselves to be victims, blaming others and circumstances outside of ourselves for the events in our lives. In stage two, we become empowered as we begin to understand the law of attraction. We recognize that we can take responsibility for each and every event in our lives, acknowledging that even if we don't understand how, we can accept that we brought that experience into our lives. In stage three, we surrender to the Divine, realizing that we cannot control everything but understanding that what is happening in our lives is for the greater good of our own evolution and that of humanity. It is here that Vitale endlessly promotes his book Zero Limits, the Hawaiian healing method ho'oponopono, and the phrase "I'm sorry. Please forgive me. Thank you. I love you." In fact, four full pages are a repetition of that phrase over and over again. Finally, in the fourth stage of awakening (called "awakening,") Vitale contradicts all of his previous work related to the law of attraction when he explains that intentions and visualizations really aren't necessary after all if we simply trust in the Divine to provide.

In a really bizarre shift of format, two chapters in the book appear as interviews between Joe and an interviewer as they ask him questions relating to the concepts within the book. Here, he once again repeats the same stories over and over again. It's as if these chapters are promotional interviews for the book. Even stranger is the chapter that seems to be a transcript of one of Vitale's appearances at a conference where, again, he tells the same stories and shamelessly promotes his new coaching program. The last two chapters of the book are referred to as the "bonus chapter" and "special bonus report." How are these bonuses? They are printed as part of the book. In fact, the entire book of The Awakening Course reads as one long commercial for Vitale's other books, seminars, programs, DVD's, and workshops. His shameless self-promotion and bragging about his millions of dollars and car collection that would make Jay Leno jealous reveals that Joe Vitale has quite a bit of learning to do himself about awakening. Admittedly, he explains that he has not achieved the fourth stage of awakening. Obviously.

The valuable information within The Awakening Course could have been summarized in a "special report" of about 20 pages. The remainder of the book is worthless repetition and self-promotion of Joe Vitale's other products. Most disappointing is the back-cover endorsement of this book from Sonia Choquette, John Gray, and Debbie Ford, all respected for their own work regarding spiritual evolution.

1.0 out of 5 stars Joe Vitale only has about two books in him., February 26, 2011
All of Joe Vitale's law of attraction books are pretty much the same. he reiterates the same basic information mixed in with a few personal stories. Save yourself some money and simply reread any of his books you already own.

1.0 out of 5 stars Same Old Rehash, February 19, 2011
This book is the same old rehash from the authors previous books. I do not recommend it!! It costs way too much, and there are other books out there that are much better and half the price of this one. The Author seems to continuously reference all his other books and seminars many times throughout his book in order to lure the reader into purchasing even more of his materials and to make more money off his readers, including his audio and seminars. NOT NEEDED. If you are really interested in Miracle Making, Manifestation, and becoming one with your divine nature (the absolute zero point field), It is my opinion you need only 2 resources. 1.) "The Power" by Rhonda Byrnes , and "Holding a Butterfly--An Experiment in Miracle-Making" by Lynn Woodland. These 2 books I have listed are all anyone ever needs and go way beyond anything Vitale ever wrote in order to produce miracles in their lives :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Awakening, February 15, 2011
This book is indeed "rehash" of Joe previous books, but even in his previous books isn't anything new to the human race, it has been known and talk about before. But it seems like very few paid attention. Now more and more people are searching for way out of their suffering, but many are thinking that the book is going to go to work for them or there is a pill that they going to swallow and everything is going to be perfect. It is not the book that is going to help you, it is the information inside the book put in to the action by you! If you are Joe Vitale follower and something made you look for this book, I'm sure there is something for you in this book that will move you forward on your journey. Even when it seems like you already know all of it, you heard it before and you ask your self why is hi writing same thing over and over again? But the real question is, how come I've read it so many times and still didn't get it?
The bottom line is, if you still searching for these types of books, you are not awaken , you need to hear it again and again until you get it. This book has definitely a lot to offer to every one, from the beginners to the masters. If you are reading this, I'm sure you are ready to be awaken ;). Go get it , it is FANTASTIC :)

Thank you Joe very much I am very grateful for you!
Love you all !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Awakening Course By Joe Vitale, February 13, 2011
If you have ever read or heard any of the many Books by Joe Vitale you will love this Awakening course book. Any missing steps you are faced with are cleverly described in this course. I was having trouble with releasing fears about money until now. When I purchased the audio book I heard it, but did not implement anything I heard until about 2 weeks ago; which, was when it all started for me. I received a raise that we had not been given for the last 3 years, not to mention unexpected bonus for work well done. I seem to have favor with the things I need and want. Follow the course and you will see the results. I thank GOD for directing me to Joe and I have benefited ever since.

1.0 out of 5 stars Common sense tells you joe vitale doesn't teach anything, February 22, 2011
Every book Joe vitale writes isn't even a method that's practical in use this one is yet another joke. Pay attention all he does is offers are methods that other people teach that he has Heard about or has had the the teacher work with him. If he had a proven method, a real method that worked then he wouldn't be coming out with new books. HELLO.....common sense. He didn't make his money by these methods, he doesnt even hide it. He made his money promising other people that they could make money using a watered down theory that he experienced from a teacher who can really help and he won't declose that persons name. Save your money....please. He theory is not proven and he doesn't teach anything. All you have to do is pay attention and it becomes obvious he just write about other teachers methods, that may or may not work.

1.0 out of 5 stars Publicity, September 25, 2013
This review is from: The Awakening Course: The Secret to Solving All Problems (Kindle Edition)
You really cannot read a book that claims to be an awakening course that harps on about other books by the same author every other page. The 'course' was so muddled with personal nonsense which did not give me insight to what it was about or what I should do that in the end I nearly threw it on the rubbish heap. Maybe Joe Vitale is a guru, but this book really does not give the impression he can teach us anything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff from Joe, January 8, 2011
I just finished this latest book from Joe and as an author and speaker myself I have to appreciate his gift at making concepts and truths simple for all of us. Joe shows us how to awaken the real person inside of us through our thoughts, meditations, and actions. Any fan of Joe's will know how important our thoughts and beliefs are and this new book carries on with that them but Joe is digging deeper to show us to continually awaken our souls and our minds to enlightenment.

Great stuff from Joe and I recommend to all of his fans.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not even a book. Transcript of an audio program..., January 2, 2014
I used to like Joe Vitale until I understand he's actually not teaching anything and has no intention to teach anything.

His material is infomercial for his next product. I've spend almost 2 hours with this book on a huge book store - I simply sat down on a couch with my coffee on my hand and read it till its half. Well, I read it till the interview part, which was totally useless. On the half of the book Hooponopono prayer (I love you, I'm sorry, Please Forgive Me) written for 2 pages and more. Even this is a turn off for a general reader looking for legit information because it can be a one page with a large font with an instruction to repeat it until feel the peace.

As the result of my time spent with the book, I couldn't found anything useful. I have to note that: I'm not looking for something new on these kind of books but at least there should be some useful tools to apply and straight to the point, time tested information.

People who popped up with The Secret and after The Secret are usually looking for easy money with selling their products instead of helping people genuinely. I realized Vitale is one of them, unfortunately. There's nothing wrong of course to make money from your products, that's how things work; but at least please offer some genuine information not a put-together transcript to make some quick buck yourself.

I recommend Power Of Subconscious Mind by Dr. Joseph Murphy, Silva Method by Jose Silva, Being In Balance by Dr. Wayne Dyer instead of Vitale's stuff. Sincere and helpful material without commercials and self-praise are necessary for us readers to make positive changes in our lives.

And for your information: Hooponopono is a wonderful method - too bad its almost monopolized by this author (vitale) used as a filler on this useless Awakening Course book. Only good thing Joe Vitale did was Zero Limit book, interviews with Dr. Hew Len about wisdom of Hooponopono - I highly recommend that one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›