5.0 out of 5 stars Health leads to weight loss, not the other way around!
Published 18 months ago by krissskrosss

2.0 out of 5 stars facts on chia not correct
I am saddened about the incorrect information in the section entitled BUYERS GUIDE TO AZTEC GRAINS in your book

1. Firstly chia is NOT a grain..........it is a seed, in fact, an oilseed.
2. Chia cannot be ground, so why use the term?
Published 18 months ago by Wayne Coates

5.0 out of 5 stars Health leads to weight loss, not the other way around!, February 12, 2013
This review is from: The Aztec Diet: Chia Power: The Superfood that Gets You Skinny and Keeps You Healthy (Hardcover)
I don't believe in "diets." There is no quick fix for losing weight the right way and I strongly discourage anyone from fad dieting to lose a few pounds because it does more harm to your metabolism and health in the long run than good. However, i am a huge advocate of lifetsyle changes, clean diets of whole foods, and superfoods. Please know in advance that I have no intention of "getting skinny fast", as I don't have an issue with my weight. I purchased this book because I'm interested in the nutritional benefits of chia seeds and clean eating, so I've added the Aztec Diet to my nutritional library to see what I can glean from it. And I consider it money well spent.

According to Bob Arnot, "The blood of most people on a classic, carb-loaded Western diet has become a poisonous, angry stew of altered hormones and elevated blood fats, inflammation, cholesterol and sugars." Our carb overloading has lead to increased spikes in our blood sugar, which leads to fatigue, depression, and memory loss and can be tied to more serious illnesses and diseases like stroke, cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, Alzheimer's, etc.. So, the solution this book offers is that by eating like the Aztec's, you'll regain your health and improve your mood. By detoxing from the constant carb/sugar cycle, our bodies naturally stop craving carbs and sugar.

This is not a new concept. It has been the basic principle of resources ranging from Atkins to gluten free lifetsyle living. But it is a true concept. So, by outlining HOW to do this, consider this book another resource for learning.

Dr. Arnot claims in the book that the food Aztecs ate (beans, corn, turkey, fish, vegetables, fruit and super grains including amaranth, bulgar, quinoa and chia seeds) are the "healthiest foods on the planet and fueled one of the most powerful empires in history." NOTE: I disagree with the corn claim, so I omit this from recipes.

The thing that separates this book from the others on the market is the in-depth information and promotion of the chia seed. A superfood is any food that delivers maximum nutritional benefit at the lowest caloric intake. And that's exactly what Chia does. According to Arnot, chia holds eight times more omega-3 fatty acids than any whole food, six times the calcium than whole milk, three times more iron than spinach, and twice the fiber of spinach. If this is true, the chia seed turns the flaxseed into a washed up has-been. Chia also helps curb hunger and absorption of extra calories because absorbs up to 12 times its own weight and expands in your stomach to curb your appetite, which in turn leads to eating less. Boom! Superfood double punch.

There are three phases to the Aztec diet:

Phase I: The Chia Challenge (detoxes off sugar and carbs, reving up weight loss)
Phase II: The Accelerate with Lunch (helps you learn how incorporate more healthy foods into your everyday diet)
Phase III: Real Life Aztec Style (shows you how to maintain)

The really helpful part of this book is the list of good carbs and the ones to avoid, all given on a ranking system of 1-10 (healthy ), 11-20 (moderate), and 21+ (nuclear carb war on your system).

There is a two week long detailed eating plan included with the book, along with almost 100 Aztec recipes. I have only just purchased the book, so I haven't had a chance to sample the recipes yet, but will be updating this review as I do. The smoothie recipes look delicious and I can't wait to try the turkey burgers on my family.

You don't have to live carb-free forever. Whole grains have their place in a healthy, whole full, well-balanced diet. But if you have, like many of us have, carb-overloaded your system, detoxing out of that cycle and learning how to implement balanced whole grains back into your diet will cause seeming miracles in your health and weight!

I am not a doctor, so please make sure to consult one before deciding to undergo a major dietary change. But nothing in this book seems to be unhealthy, unlike philosophies touted in diets like Atkins.

But if your sole purpose is weight loss, this is not the book for you. These are major lifestyle changes. And it should also be noted that the author strongly endorses INTENSE physical exercise along with the dietary changes. Technically speaking, cutting anything out of your diet and working out hard will lead to weight loss. If you're not prepared to learn the ins and outs of nutrition and health, and more than likely completely changing your daily diet to something you're not used to, and you're not prepared to maintain that lifestyle for the long term, then this is not the book for you. You will more than likely get frustrated, not be successful, and quit due to discouragement, which only exacerbates yo-yo dieting. If you want to lose weight, cut your calories and elevate your heart rate for at least 30 minutes a day. End of story.

But if you are interested in living a healthy lifestyle with a clean diet (which will lead to weight loss and decreased inflammation), or are looking for more information and some new recipes to help boost your already healthy lifestyle, then this is a great book to add to your resources.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just about weight loss, this book teaches you how to eat clean., February 16, 2013
I have read a multitude of weight loss books in the past 15 years and this one is not like the others. What I love about this book is that it isn't just about losing weight. It is about getting healthy and becoming more aware of what you are putting into your body that can cause sugar spikes and lead to the issues Americans are battling like a plague...obesity and diabetes. The title is misleading and will appeal to those that just want to lose weight but you will learn so much more from reading this book. It contains multiple examples of people who incorporated chia into their meals and experienced tremendous weight loss. Weight loss that seems almost unexplainable, except Dr. Arnot with his medical expertise explains exactly how large amounts of chia added to your daily diet can result in such extraordinary positive health changes. Not just weight loss can be experienced it seems but improvement in bowel health, issues such as blood pressure and cholesterol levels and even sleep and anxiety. It is nice to see a book written by a physician with the medical explanation behind why chia really is a superfood and why it can (and should) change the American diet as we know it. I found the chia Dr. Bob used in his studies and have already had my chia smoothie today:)

2.0 out of 5 stars facts on chia not correct, February 16, 2013

1. Firstly chia is NOT a grain..........it is a seed, in fact, an oilseed.
2. Chia cannot be ground, so why use the term?
3. The sentence that says "If commercially ground chia is not cold pressed............."Cold pressing is used to remove the oil, has nothing to do with "grinding".
4. This section states "If you buy whole seeds and grind them yourself eat them within a few days before they spoil" Chia contains natural antioxidants that prevent spoilage.
5. There is discussion about many chia strains...all the countries mentioned only have 2 (black and white) so where does "Each strain ....." come from?

Having worked more than 20 years with chia, I think I can comment from a technical standpoint on the misinformation in this book.

Please look at our site for more information on chia, its properties, recipes and how to tell good from bad chia. We do sell both whole and milled chia as well AZCHIA Whole BLACK Chia seeds - 1.5 lb (24 oz) bag - ($10.33/lb)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love chia!, February 16, 2013
Susan Szabo (Mississauga, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I love this book! I struggled for years (decades) to lose weight. I have now lost a total of 55 pounds eating this amazing food! It is inspiring to see how easy for so many people to lose weight and feel fabulous! The recipes are quick and easy! Thank you for yet another incredible book! What a wonderful tool for people that want to get healthy and lose weight.

3.0 out of 5 stars Elaborate sales ploy, March 12, 2013
Paul Bradley (Savannah, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This diet caught my attention. First, I'm not sure why you would emulate a people that had life spans shorter than my canine. I was, however fascinated my the possibility of chia as a super-food. I was actually sold, until I got to how to locate chia seed for personal use. There is a very nice list of resources in the back of the book. Only one is highly recommended though.It happens to be about 10 times more expensive than the rest. If you none the less try to order it, you find out it's a multi-level marketing scheme and guess who is your salesman? You guessed it, but none other than the author, Dr. Bob Arnot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Nutrition Book, February 16, 2013
Dr. Bob's newest book is incredibly well written with a thorough discussion of the powerful effects of just eating chia on a daily basis. It's a convincing account of how the most nutrient dense food on earth can get you super healthy and keep you healthy always!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Dr Bob!, February 16, 2013
At last there is a comprehensive book that is all about Chia and the amazing benefits to our health. I am astounded and thrilled with the benefits that Chia (Mila) has had on every member of my family's health. This book is so much more than just about Diet, the title may be the thing that grabs your attention but this book is about how to incorporate Chia into your life everyday. Get reading it and share it with those you love. This knowledge about Chia is the best gift you can give them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Project, March 7, 2013
Dolores Lara (PICO RIVERA, CA, US) - See all my reviews
Unbelievable, I (61 years old) tried the ground up chia seeds for a period of three weeks as I had elevated blood pressure & have been diagnosed for 11 years with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. My blood pressure went down within two weeks (147 to 122) and as of this review I have noticed a gradual increase in energy. My 13 year granddaughter began taking the seeds in order to control her appetite and it works! Now my son, niece, sister and two grandchildren have started this week to take the seeds, we can only hope for additional amazing results.

Pros of this product is that once the seeds have been ground up (very simple, just in a coffee grinder) they can be mixed in with yogurt, smoothie, etc. I sprinkle in my salad or rice or potatoes in the evening, there is not really a taste which interferes with the food it is mixed into. I have not discovered anything like this (and believe me I have tried all types of "natural" remedies).

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not your mother's diet, February 16, 2013
Mention the word "diet" and people immediately think of all the yo-yo meal plans that have had them bouncing up and down on the scales for years. The Aztec Diet is more of a lifestyle choice and I can tell you from personal experience, having lost 22 POUNDS with this diet, that I am back to my high school weight and full of energy. No doubt Mila is the superior chia on the market, having been independently tested and clinically studied. The Omega-3s in Mila helped with my joint pain too! If you want to lose weight forever, if you want more energy, Mila and The Aztec Diet are for you. Find Mila at [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Invest in yourself and the rest is easy!!, February 16, 2013
Dr Bob Arnot's amazing book, coupled with all the factual information and the help of Mila is the way to regain a healthy lifestyle. Take it from this chunky gal!! I would still be yo-yoing up and down if I had not started on the Mila and the Smoothies Dr Bob has written about in his book! They are not forever, they are a phase. Something you can go back to if you have blow out. BUT once you read this information and truly know, it makes it difficult to put "bad" or "non" food in your mouth. You feel so much better knowing this. This is an educational book that will become a household ready reckoner. Pop it on your kitchen shelf right next to your Mila and watch your small investment in you change your life. Watch the Kilos (or pounds)drop Start TODAY!!

$25.99 $19.13