- File Size: 300 KB
- Print Length: 55 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Serpentine Music & Media (January 22, 2012)
- Publication Date: January 22, 2012
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B0070YQHT2
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Not Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#1,139,300 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #401 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Earth-Based Religions > Paganism & Neo-Paganism
- #923 in Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age & Spirituality > Wicca, Witchcraft & Paganism > Paganism
- #1143 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Earth-Based Religions > Wicca & Witchcraft
The Baby and the Bathwater: What I Learned About Spirituality, Magic, Community, Ecstasy and Power from 25 Years in Reclaiming Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
More About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
Halfway through this fascinating book I felt I was looking at a field of rocks which had just been overturned. It's familiar territory but these are creatures I've never seen. Familiar because I've been in the geographic community she describes for the past thirty years and I've intersected these circles. But my own reclaiming was rooted in Native American teachings, so while I knew a lot of these people, my focus was on other rocks and trees.
Whether you know all about Starhawk and the Reclaiming culture, or have never heard of this rich piece of Bay area women's history, you're likely to find a piece of yourself while reading this story.
In a tradition that prides itself on a non-hierarchical, diversity-welcoming culture, there are some very real shadows in play (as is true for ALL social groups). The denial of these shadows has resulted in the loss over the years of some of Reclaiming's most talented, passionate teachers, creatives, and leaders.
Over time there has been, in my view as well, an increasing tendency to ignore or even bully those who have questioned the party line. Woe to those who challenge some of those Important Personages who pretend not to be.
Until Anne's book came along, I found myself bereft, unable to explain to anyone the source of my confusion and discomfort. Why could I no longer see my beloved spiritual family with the same feelings I once had and that those around me seemed still so easily able to maintain?
For me, "The Baby and the Bathwater" has been a powerful validation of my own spiritual crisis, and my own healing has begun, thanks to Anne's clear, calm, and often wry writing style. Thank you, Anne, for your courageous, unwavering examination of the contradictions and disconnects that may, as you note, ultimately be the undoing of the Reclaiming tradition - a culture that deserves so much better.
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age & Spirituality > Wicca, Witchcraft & Paganism > Paganism
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age & Spirituality > Wicca, Witchcraft & Paganism > Witchcraft
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > 90 minutes (44-64 pages) > Religion & Spirituality
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Earth-Based Religions > Paganism & Neo-Paganism
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Earth-Based Religions > Wicca & Witchcraft