5.0 out of 5 stars THE BABY BOOK YOU NEED!!!!!
Published 15 months ago by "colic"

Published 8 months ago by Mama2Be

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BABY BOOK YOU NEED!!!!!, October 10, 2013
This review is from: The Baby Book, Revised Edition: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two (Sears Parenting Library) (Paperback)
I'm so happy there is an updated version of this book. I had an extremely "colic" baby in 2004, and this is the ONLY book (at least then) where you could look up symptoms and try to figure it out. This book saved my life, and because of the info on silent reflux (acid reflux to the extreme, but they don't actually vomit), my child went from crying for 8 hours straight to actually sleeping. I had gone to 5 or 6 doctors and even a specialist with NO help, they just said my baby had colic. Colic just means they don't know the answer. Most colic is actually undiagnosed silent/acid reflux! Until I read this book and brought it with me to an appointment. My son had all the 'typical' symptoms and only when I mentioned silent reflux did the doctors get a handle on what was going on. I have bought this book for every friend I have with a baby.

3.0 out of 5 stars Skewed to upper-middle class families; might make you go crazy, May 27, 2014
This book is great for a lot of things, a lot of the time - good info on nursing, infant feeding, (most) illnesses, caring for minor illnesses, and especially child development and milestones. For those things, it's a great parenting bible. I give it 3 stars, though, because it's caused me about as much unnecessary heartache and guilt as it has reassured and informed me. Here's where the book and I have issues:

*The parenting style it encourages - while I really like it generally - is at odds with modern life. It's not the book's fault, but the book doesn't do enough to acknowledge that this style of parenting, in this day and age, is seriously. hard. work., and possible to implement fully only if you have lots and lots of support.
*The book is skewed toward upper-middle class families. The section on Mom returning to work more or less poo-poos any reason you might think you have for returning to work and strongly suggests you're making the wrong "choice" if you go back to work. It only begrudgingly acknowledges that many of us live in two-incomes-are-necessary households. It does not acknowledge that Mom might have other very good reasons besides economics for wanting to return to work.
*The book claims to encourage Dad's involvement, but it's mostly pitched as a "break" for Mom. We're not talking about full-on shared-parenting here.
*The book makes light of the catastrophic toll that long-term sleep deprivation and frequent sleep interruptions take on parents' mind and body. It downplays the needs of parents in the sections about baby sleep, suggesting that you should be just fine with getting woken up frequently throughout the first two years of life, because don't you see your baby needs you?? Plus, you can nap when baby naps, right? Because you're not doing anything else with your life, of course. I'm less than a year into my parenting adventure, and I'm about dead because I thought I needed to be a sleep martyr. I'm not a cry-it-out proponent, but I do think parents need to know that it's OK to have limits - really OK. The book pays only lip service to this concept. Babies needs don't just come first, they are everything.
*The book will convince you that your child has reflux and/or food allergies and is suffering greatly and you will not be able to think of anything else and no one will be able to tell you different, not even your pediatrician whom you claim to love and trust. Every mother I know has freaked out about food allergies and gone on a crazy elimination diet at some point while nursing. Me, too. Only one of our babies actually had any, though.

All that said, now that I have some experience with the book's pitfalls, I can make better use of it and forgo the guilt. When you read this book, keep in mind that it offers ONE way of describing ONE point of view about parenting - as well-respected as the Sears family is, this book is not the last word in parenting styles or even this particular parenting style.

Also, this book is NOT a substitute for an experienced pediatrician that you are willing to trust fully. Get one of those, for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I need to know, February 7, 2013
Great book. Love that I was able to get the revised edition. It really is a right hand for me. I recommend to anyone who wants to be less traditional with their baby....which to me is really just getting back to basics. No crying it out, baby wearing, etc. I love Dr. Sears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Note the high number of "likes" vs. "dislikes", May 10, 2014
I just have to say, I have a 15 year old who was raised under the guide of this book. I read the negative "one star" reviews and had to laugh. Who reads a book and takes it 100% at its value and doesn't do additional research? Dr. Sears doesn't have research to back up his theories? Hmmm...Neither would a pediatrician giving you the advise to NOT follow Dr. Sears, I am assuming because Dr. Sears gives advice based on HIS EXPERIENCE AS A PARENT AND PEDIATRICIAN. Common sense.

I used this book for the first year of our GERD baby's life and it was wonderful. As a brand new parent, I had no idea when to rush him to the doctor or when to lay back and wait to see if it is just a "bug". My instincts as a new mother stopped at soothing a crying baby, and never kicked in when he was sick enough to go in or just sick enough to soothe and care for at home. When he ran a fever, I wanted to rush him in immediately. Dr. Sears walks you through the entire pediatrician scenario and advises against rushing in for every little thing. Dr. offices are filled with what???? OTHER SICK BABIES, he said, if I remember correctly. So you compromise a weak immune system for something that may just be a simple cold. We did a family bed technique with our now 15 year old, he is not damaged in any way-just became an Eagle Scout!!!! Neither do I recall Dr. Sears telling me to not co-sleep or that i had to co-sleep!!! If there is one thing I remember about this book, it tells you what to expect and then says, "DON'T PANIC IF YOUR BABY ISN'T AT THIS MILESTONE YET!" It also says do what suits YOUR family. I co-slept with my GERD baby because it was the only way for him to keep from refluxing all night.

A lot of what this book does is teach you to use your common sense, what to look for-- to know when to go in to the doctor or stay home and wait. That is what I looked up in this book everytime my son was sick and especially in the early days with his constant "spitting up". Dr. Sears said if your Mom instincts tell you it isn't right, then demand your pediatrician listen to you. Ours kept saying since he didn't see reflux in the office, there was nothign wrong with him--aside from the fact that he was in the 10th percentile for weight. When I finally asked to see the senior pediatrician in the same practice (recommended by Dr. Sears in the book), then I got the results I needed and my son was diagnosed with GERD.

I am sorry I can't be more specific on the book contents now that my book was so much older ---other than the fact that I know it saved us many times in the middle of the night on whether or not to call the pediatrician/rush to the ER or to wait it out. How to know what a bacterial infection vs. a viral infection was, etc. I would recommend this book highly and have bought it for new mothers ever since someone did me the same kindness 15 years ago. I have always been thanked by the new mothers later and told a story or two about a high fever or something they found in the book that helped them along their way, something new moms need. I didn't have my mother to ask and my husband's mother was not very good at remembering information from when her kids were babies so this book was my advice, along with friends, family and the pediatrician. Again, I wouldn't go on information solely from ANY book. This is a common sense guide. It helps guide you towards your own parental instincts!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have!!! :), February 4, 2014
I'm a first time mom and this book was so vital to me. It gives you all the basics you need to know. It also teaches you how to listen to your baby. I recommend it to anyone! It's very enlightening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best baby shower gift, April 1, 2013
Even if you don't practice attachment parenting, this book contains so much health information useful for all families such as seperate weight charts for boys and girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Used Book I Had, May 23, 2013
This is such a great reference, but the best advice in the whole book is that what works for you and your family is right for your child. Everything else is just practical advice and reassurance - but at 2am when your child has a high fever and can't breathe, it is EXACTLY what you need.

4.0 out of 5 stars My #1 Baby reference book, December 3, 2013
G. Iacobone (Columbus, Ohio) - See all my reviews
I found this to be a useful, comprehensive tome on all things baby. While I disagree with Dr. Sears on the vaccine issue, that is a personal matter and I believe all of his informational to be factual and well-researched. He is (mostly) pro-natural parenting (breastfeeding, baby wearing, etc.) and I think we as a parenting culture would do well to have more encouragement in those areas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaches You to Trust Yourself, June 9, 2013
Mycroft Lockhart (Kansas City, Kansas United States) - See all my reviews
We got this book as a gift when I was about 8 months pregnant. I was blown away by the overarching theme of the book: trust your instincts. Although Dr. Sears share specific tools to help parents, he says over and over to really tune into your baby and follow your gut. We especially benefited from baby wearing and co sleeping and this books helps a child's true needs be met. You can tell they love babies and parents. They give moms and dads permission to be the kind and responsive parents that their hearts urge them to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up to date and informative, May 26, 2013
Very up to date information including baby carrying, unswaddling, immediate bonding, etc.
Really breaks down the basics for first time parents and updates veteran parents on the newest findings.