5.0 out of 5 stars Should get 6 out of 5 stars
This book is absolutely hilarious! I'm a big fan of PJ's, so how did I miss this little gem until now? Anyway, this book had me literally LOL (Laughing Out Loud) as I read it in my own bachelor apartment. PJ has captured the essence of bachelordom, namely, we are all basically mischievous boys at heart who love chaos and disorder. PJ on cooking - "If you think of it...
Published on January 18, 2001 by Eric Gudorf

1.0 out of 5 stars The author should be fined; the editor should be fired.
I was trying to decide whether I should buy this book for my 21-year-old step-son who lives alone, and so so took a "look inside." I saw that the author used "then" when he should have used "than" in a comparative sentence. If the author and the editor cannot edit any better THAN that, THEN I will not spend my money on this book.

FYI: here is the offending...
Published on December 2, 2010 by Ceilidh King

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for any Bachelor Home, January 13, 2000
Jim Poserina (Somerset, New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bachelor Home Companion: A Practical Guide to Keeping House Like a Pig (O'Rourke, P. J.) (Paperback)
If you are a bachelor or know someone who is, this book is a MUST. P.J. O'Rourke (who has subtitled other books as "Eyewitness Accounts of Mankind's Struggle Against Tyranny, Injustice, and Alcohol-Free Beer" for example) launches into how to keep a bachelor pad bachelory, including cooking, cleaning, yardwork, and decorating. The book is even illustrated with photographs, and the irrepressible P.J. in his trademark shirt and tie will have you in stitches, like the one where P.J. explains how to clean the kitchen by putting all the dirty dishes, pots, and pans on the floor, and then cleaning them with a garden hose; or for dinner, put 5 pounds of popcorn kernels in the oven, turn it to 450 degrees, and you're done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant bathroom shelf book, February 1, 1999
Where else would a self-respecting bachelor keep a favourite book? I really identified with his tips on house-cleaning: "Discard anything that is harder to wash than you are" and "The only thing I've ever been able to figure out about stove cleaning is to move every couple of years". Ah, a man after my own heart!

4.0 out of 5 stars Scathingly Funny, August 23, 1998
By A Customer
Although Mr. O'Roarke usually writes from a conservative perspective, this book can be read by anyone. The pictures are even funnier than the text. The only complaint I had was that it was too short.

5.0 out of 5 stars Celebrate Testosterone!, June 5, 2001
As a 32 yr old bacelor, this book had me literally HOWLING with laughter! I let my girlfriend read it. We aren't dating anymore, LOL. As ridiculous and as obscene as some of it seems, it is startling to realize that I have actually LIVED like that!
FIVE STARS,..!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funniest Book I've read..., May 30, 2000
I read this book in spanish years ago when I was a bachelor... I laughed soooo much my family thought I was crazy... If I was going to recommend one book for out loud laughter this is the one. I've haven't found a book this much fun in years .... READ IT you will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very true, January 14, 2001
Robertomelbourne (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
A complete anthropoligical study of the contemporary bachelor.
More than a bible, rather a rule book.
It manages all that is necessary to convey the truth behind 'guy living'. Lots of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Funniest Book I've Ever Read, August 21, 2000
Steve (Berkeley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
You can read this again and again, and you will still find yourself laughing out loud! His best work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rings too true, needs to be longer, June 15, 2000
Russell Whitaker (Silicon Valley USA) - See all my reviews
I am petulantly withholding a 5 star rating on this little work of humor, well, because it's a little work. There. Why didn't he make it longer, dammit?
You must buy this. Anyone who's been a bachelor understands viscerally "Decorating with Alcohol".

5.0 out of 5 stars So True You Wonder How He Saw Your Apartment, March 16, 2000
O'Rourke has always written incisive and perceptive material, and this, his first book, points up the "always" part. Dorm rooms, bachelor pads, teenagers' rooms -- they're all the same when you come down to it, and for the same reason -- people who aren't answerable to anyone else (or don't think they aren't) live like they aren't answerable to anyone else! O'Rourke is married with a kid now, and if he lived like he's written about here, he probably did it to get out of his own former house. But then, as he puts it, "We're all bachelors now, strangers in a home we never made."

4.0 out of 5 stars A FUN read, as usual, from P J O'Rourke, July 17, 2013
LakeKids (Paso Robles,CA USA) - See all my reviews
Just LOVE to read O'Rourke's books, his take on almost anything is so true AND so funny. If you know, are, or related to any bachelors, this is a must read, even though a little dated...the "customs" of the bachelor are still the same. It's fast reading and will give you plenty of chuckles.

$13.00 $11.70