Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

on January 8, 2010
Once my daughter discovered the Nintendo DS early last year, she rarely went a day without asking for "game", as she calls it. She'll be 3 next month, but for the past few months, she's actually been really good at things like New Super Mario Bros., Rhythm Heaven, Wario Ware and even Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ. Again, she's not even 3 yet. So once I saw the Backyardigans game, it seemed like an obvious buy for her since it's based on one of her favorite shows. Boy does she adore this game. Obviously, it's for younger children, probably 5 and under, but they did an alright job making it a game instead of one of those cheap virtual pets or fashion games you see being piled on younger kids these days.

The game's divided into three different stages, based on different Backyardigans episodes. My daughter's favorite being the pirate stage. Each stage has various activities you need to do in order to complete it. You tap along with the music, blow into the microphone to play a trumpet, match colors, tap objects in a certain order, and more. It's nothing that a 2 year old won't be able to figure out, and especially anyone older. I liked that they had the 'place these objects in this order' part, as it teaches to follow directions as they're shown. Aside from the three stages, there are also options to play the mini games on their own or mix them from different stages to have a kind of remix level.

All 5 Backyardigans are usually on-screen, and they talk to eachother and the player often. The audio isn't that great unfortunately, and you'll usually hear fuzz whenever someone talks. I know this is a game for children, but I can't help but say I was let down when we played through the game and there weren't any songs from the episodes here. Yes, I'm almost 25 but I love the songs from the show, and not having any of them here is a downer. The music isn't very Backyardigans-y either...it's pretty generic, but still upbeat. Also, I feel that they could've put more into the game than just 3 stages and the two other game options. When you look at something like Final Fantasy IV for DS, which had an ungodly amount of music and voices, as well as a fairly long game to play, The Backyardigans might not feel like a lot of bang for your buck. I did a double take when I saw my daughter was over 50% through one stage after less than 20 minutes the day we got it.

Basically, if you're looking for a game to get your young child, and get them one that teaches them something, this would be a good one. They'll learn shapes, instruments, colors, and more if they haven't already. The interface is easy to understand and there's hardly any text anywhere. This is a very visual game that parents shouldn't overlook. If only there was more to it!
on December 24, 2009
Bought for my 3 year old. He gets most of it with a little oversight. Comparable to Diego DS games. Not one my 5 year old has any interest in playing - this is a Nintendo DS starter game only. I expect him to want to play Star Wars Lego within 12 months once he has the feel for the controls.
on April 25, 2012
You can't hear some of what is said in the game because the audio is so low, even in a quiet room. My daughter seems to like it though she does seem to get a little frustrated with parts of it. It's good for kids who are like 3.5 yrs old and older but not for kids any younger, especially if they have not learned to recognize letters and numbers visually.
on November 11, 2010
this is the 1st DS game i've gotten for my 2 1/2 yr old and he loves it!! he's only had it for 2 days but he's learned how to play several of the games and can easily follow the directions to learn the others. it even kept him occupied while we were out grocery shopping. it's very interactive but not too complicated.
on May 17, 2011
My son is 2 1/2 and loves this game. It has portions that are fairly easy for him and some that are a bit more challenging. It teaches Following Instruction (possibly the most challenging for him), Colors, Numbers/Counting, Shapes, and Putting Things In Order. The vocal commands and scribbling are so darn cute to watch him do. The voices are a little distant and scratchy sounding and I'm not sure why it couldn't have better vocal clarity, but with patience its so much fun for him. My 4 yr old niece loved it too, but I think it was quite a bit easier for her. My favorite thing about this game is that it teaches basic skills and is a great activity in a pinch.
on April 19, 2011
This game is perfect for the 2-3 year old range. I think most children over that age will tire of it quickly. Basically, it has activities that introduce the controls of the Nintendo DS to the child. There is a bit of blowing into the microphone, using the stylus to go up and down or side to side and just pointing and choosing objects. This is a good way for a child to learn a bit of coordination early on and to figure out how to do things on their own.

The activities are also somewhat educational: matching, basic counting, shape recognition and learning how to follow directions. My son will normally be entertained for about an hour per sitting every other day or two. Since my son has been playing it for a little over a month now, I think he is getting a bit tired of it. I feel he is still receiving a good amount of entertainment from the game, considering the price.
on July 14, 2012
Great game. Lots to do on it. My 3 year old daughter loves this show and she really loves this game. She sometimes gets frusterated because it tells her she hit the wrong color when she actually hit the right one....but it tells her that because she presses it a little to long, she hasn't quite mastered the tap it once yet but she still enjoys it.
on December 25, 2011
My daughters love playing this game and couldn't put it down when they got it. I chose this one because they love to watch the show so I knew they would be familiar with the characters. My daughters are 6 and 3 and can play this without a problem.
on July 31, 2012
I have two kids (3 and 5) and they both liked the game a lot. It is very interactive and educational, however they both complain because they can't hardly hear the characters talking or the music playing on the background for the games. Don't get me wrong, the games are great for a 3 year old and even a 5 year old to practice, shapes, colors, numbers, etc. It is just the level of the sound what I am dissappointed about. Wished it was a little higher!! Other than that, good buy for my little ones!
on October 18, 2013
I have found some of my youngest grandchild's favorite games no longer available in Nick Jr. The older brother said this has some of them as a game you unlock so I bought it. He just turned 4 and is very excited to have one he can play on his own! I gave it a 4 only because the game he likes best is not one that opens first. Great game for little ones.